CFZ Defeating San Fran Will Ultimately Come Down to Scheme, Not Talent

movaughn88

Reaction score
It's borderline insane to say but I wonder if McCarthy purposefully played a conservative game plan in the regular season knowing that IF we are going deep in the playoffs we WILL have to face that team again.

Not saying he threw the game but "let's see what happens if we play conservatively" and then once it started spiraling he shut down any nuances or major adjustments to save them for the playoffs.

Again, maybe this is nuts and makes no sense but possibly a slight rope-a-dope since again, if we want to go far we are almost certainly playing them again.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't disagree but m ore than scheme is execution. The 49ers are a well coached disciplined team. Every player knows his assignment and he carries it out. If the Cowboys want to beat the 49ers it starts with blocking.

I don't think the 49ers are unbeatable. The Rams had success against them ear in the season. They threw the ball downfield instead of underneath where the 49ers excel on defense.

Also, when they played earlier this year Quinn had Parsons lining up on the left side of the offense, facing Trent Williams. This is not arson's usual spot. If there is a weak spot on the 49ers offensive it is the right side of their OL. I would get Parsons and DLaw on that side and attack there. Then the right side of the defense has to be ready for those outside runs by McCaffery.

The other thing is the safeties, like Kearse and Wilson have to have big games. They can't miss tackles or allow Kittle to find an open spot in the defense.

The Cowboys have to limit the mistakes. No stupid penalties, and no turnovers.
I agree the last two playoff losses to the 49ers were more about execution and penalties and mistakes not that they had clearly the better team it literally came down to four or five plays that we didn't execute I mean there were 14 penalties in 2021 that alone to me is the reason we lost the game you gave them all those extra yardage and snaps to stop us I mean in those couple of plays that Trayvon diggs didn't make last year I mean I realize the defense played better than our offense but come on those have to be made you can't beat these teams like the 49ers in the playoffs without taking every opportunity they gave you and they were there kiddos bobble the ball all you had to do is hit the guy and then Trayvon diggs drops in interception he usually don't drop that to me is a very big deal

think about the loss of the Eagles 4 weeks ago, it was a toe out of bounds, an a non-call an inch on the goal line if that just leans one way we win the game... Literally when you're playing a team that's as good or better than you or maybe even feel like you're on the same level it's the team that makes the least mistakes and who executes the best and takes advantage of every opportunity in front of them that wins those games literally when you're losing by 7 or less you have to go back to those missed opportunities I don't think it has anything to do with talent or scheme because I believe the Eagles the Cowboys and the 49ers all have a lot of that on their team they have the talent and the scheme and it does come down to the little things...

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's borderline insane to say but I wonder if McCarthy purposefully played a conservative game plan in the regular season knowing that IF we are going deep in the playoffs we WILL have to face that team again.

Not saying he threw the game but "let's see what happens if we play conservatively" and then once it started spiraling he shut down any nuances or major adjustments to save them for the playoffs.

Again, maybe this is nuts and makes no sense but possibly a slight rope-a-dope since again, if we want to go far we are almost certainly playing them again.
First of all that didn't happen.. is he saving some plays, formations, wrinkles if you will and things in his bag that he doesn't want to show until a bigger game or a bigger moment or the playoffs that's possible but he did not sandbag this game in any way shape or form, we literally just got our butts kicked...

I believe he's learned something since that game and that's to be more aggressive and really try to take the game to the other team instead of hope not to make the big mistake I think he played a little conservative hoping to keep the game close.. This was his philosophy the first six games of the year he didn't realize his defense was gonna play this poorly trust me how is he supposed to sandbag how Dan Quinn calls the game and how our defense just ***** the bed?? That's been the problem he had to fully do a 180 and just become more aggressive and then people get on his **** for doing just that against Seattle yes he went against the traditional what do you do in this situation playbook and got super aggressive to win that game and I actually agree with every decision he made in that game because he felt his defense wasn't gonna stop anybody so he needed to keep the ball and that seven points was more important then running time off the clock and kicking a field goal I get why he went for it on 4th and two he's thinking back up in San Francisco you can't play conservative you can't leave things to your defense when you have the opportunity you need to try to shove the knife in deeper and he has not done that Jason Garrett has never done that when you're playing to not lose a game these things happen...

Will that change come Sunday against the Eagles will it change in the playoffs I don't know but I can tell you right now that's why we lost the game he literally mistook our defense for being who they were expected to be and our defense has not been that all year , 3 losses can go squarely on the defense, not all their fault but mostly, yes their fault you can't win and shootouts against these teams...

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is no automatic there isn't going back to those games and doing the what if game it is what it is you are who your record says you are and now we have to battle for the east which I don't think we're gonna win even in a tie which is more than likely what's gonna happen, Philly still gonna get the nod.. Like I say these San Francisco talk by everyone not just the original poster here way too soon we're not even in the playoffs yet we have a division to worry about we have seating to worry about and San Francisco should be the farthest thing from all our minds and I sure hope the coaches and players are not thinking this way screw San Francisco right now we should be loading up to try to do everything we can to beat Philadelphia at home because if we can't, san Francisco's not gonna matter..
Crap, as a GI during the 'cold war' we had to to prepare for a 10-1 disadvantage against the Soviets just across the German border. Know anything about the Fulda Gap? No Sir, no mission was beyond our grasp or will...NONE!

Not really impressed the direction and tone of failure presented. I can argue specifics and you considered none of what I presented nor understood the American logic upon loyalty...not joining up as an alternative all season long.

I don't stutter and ears don't overlap here. Go Cowboys! :thumbup: :popcorn::starspin:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Who says we will even play SF again. All this being afraid from some is laughable at this point.

How about we focus on qualifying for the playoffs first.
All this being afraid from some is laughable..

Um, you think we're not making the playoffs?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It will come down to tackling, IF we get to play them in the playoffs, we have to keep the short passes in front of us and tackle.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Diggs can tackle too, this nonsense that he can't is just a myth.

Also not sure why it's one or the other. Can't we be happy to have both
Oh, I agree with that. Diggs can tackle. But Bland is better. Not really debatable at this point. He's been a lot better in the run game than Diggs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's always both. Scheme and talent on the field together is greater than either individually.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would re-word scheme vs talent. They both go hand in hand.
Coaching places talent in the best design, best scheme, and best positions, but you have to have both coaching and talent.

A coach can only take you so far and do so much. Look at Andy Reid & Mahomes and the critical issue they
are having with suspect WR help. If they have either Lamb or Cooks, it would be a totally new tale of the tape in KC. But instead they have too raw rookies and scrub WRs.

You have to have top talent to help succeed a top talented, well coached team.
how did the Niners lose 3 games in a row ?
How did we manage to hold Niners in 1st half in '22 playoffs.
What do we add next time around vs Niners that we did not have, ..did not do this past Niners game ?

Heavily involve WR Brandin Cooks,.. pre-snap motion, misdirection, rub routes, bunch formations,
Wish like heck we could get Pollard going in both run & pass game (swings, screens)
get that Travis Etienne Jr. like burst and acceleration going..

Defensively that's on Quinn, ..vs run ... vs misdirection & play action, ..Deebo flex runs .. McCaffrey Kettle & Ayu ..that's on Quinn to figure how to stand ground vs Shanahan attack.
Reword it if you need to. I know what I mean. In the past, what we've done is line up. The opposing team knows what we're running. Our philosophy is, OK, let's see you stop us. I'm saying we need to get away from that philosophy against San Fran.

So, again, we have enough talent. But it doesn't come down to that. It's going to come down to scheme. We're going to have to motion and move our guys around to scheme them open. The new offense can work. But if we run the same offense we did the first 5 weeks . . . that won't work.

That's what i mean.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We have the talent, just need to execute better and stop the stupid penalties. Pass rush needs to work as well. Be consistent.
verytrue, SF OL is under rated , they are elite in run and pass blocking and that makes the SF playmakers like Mccaffery, Deebo and Aiyuk to excel when they get the ball from Purdy. So unless Our DL is really physical and get to the QB we have no chance to slow down.
similarly, SF DL is good in pass rush without bringing extra rushers , that enables the physical ( almost thug like ) LB er corps and secondary to bottle it down.
if we dont answer TDs and go into FG mode it will be a losing proposition.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I also think this is possible. He wanted to at least wait until after that game to tweak the offense. The tweaks he made to the scheme were specifically for San Fran, as far as I can tell.

Of course, that same scheme has made our offense better overall, as we've seen recently. But, in my opinion, it's also looking ahead and the scheme is designed to beat San Fran. When Turpin was motioned from left to right, he got open downfield on the right side.. That's what I'm talking about. We're seeing a lot more motion since the San Fran game. I believe that's why.

What I mean by scheme, not talent... I'm not saying we don't have the talent. We do. But we don't have so much that we can just impose our will on them. We have to have the right scheme too... And execution . . . well, that goes without saying. I'm assuming a certain amount of knowledge here.

Not directing this at you, but those who have an issue with the wording.

mardwin

Reaction score
We have the talent, just need to execute better and stop the stupid penalties. Pass rush needs to work as well. Be consistent.
We are 0-3 in the last 3 games against SF. The only time I felt they were superior was the 42-10 thrashing from early in the season. In the last 2 playoff games, we did not execute especially #4, Dallas was better but SF knew how to win and did the little things. We lead the league in penalties if we don't clean it up, it doesn't matter who we play in January the outcome will probably be the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
I also think it's a mental thing for us when we play the 9ers,sort of like how it is for the giant when we play them.
Nope. They dominate the trenches. Very hard to win when a team is dominating you up front.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Yadda yadda yadda …. Get after Purdy and he will unravel like a cheap sweater. I swear to you - Purdy is the weak link on that team. MVP my keister.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well I'd like to think we had a secret plan to defeat 49ers but I kind of find that a little hard to believe.
I'd like to think that we had gone all we could to add talent to be able to compete with the 49ers but I watch them add talent as we sat on our hands.

Do I think we can beat them in the playoffs possibly but I think it's going to depend more on us limiting our mistakes and by that I mean there can't be any more stupid penalties or turnovers.

Dak is going to have to play like he has been and continue to use his legs to move the chains and everyone else is going to have to do their job along with the defense making some plays and getting a turnover here or there I think that's what gives us the best chance.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No offense but it will come down to players making plays. Our coaching staff is good enough. It will be up to Parsons and Bland and Dak and Lamb to continue the great play and to step up when it matters most.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Shannahan will outsmart our staff..

Its nothing against our coaches either but he gets us every single time.
If we can get into the 4th quarter with a 3 point lead. The great Shanahan will lose.

Have you seen his record when trailing by 3 in the 4th?

1-28.