Defense: Coverage Solution

CB61

Reaction score
They are stunting less this season. I assume that was in response to the Rams game.

The issue is that run blocking has become a chess match-up of angles.

All teams now run some amount of Zone Blocking.

An example is on outside Zone Runs that cuts back inside.
  • The Cowboys scheme has the DL flowing play-side.
  • That takes the DL (primarily DTs) out of position on the cut back to the inside.
  • The blockers don't have to move the Cowboys DTs, they just have to keep them from reversing directions.
  • Blockers use the DLinemen's lateral momentum against them.
  • Since it's easier to block the DL that are taking themselves out of the play, there are extra blockers to kick out and block the LBs.
  • The initial outside run action also moves the LBs making it easier to box them out from getting back inside.
  • Good teams use the threat of misdirection (Jet Sweeps, QB keep and roll out backside, etc.) to hold the backside defenders (Backside DE & LB).
The Cowboys have not solved this issue since the Rams playoff game.
- Other teams are just copying what the Rams did.

They are now "cheating" to stop the run with tactics like having the CBs in man coverage with NO help anywhere.
- They have the LBs and Safeties cheating up to stop the run and the CBs are mono-a-mono in the open field.

The defense is a Frankenstein of mismatched parts with Marinelli as the DC and DL coach but Richard as the Pass Defense Coordinator and Play Caller.
- By mismatched I'm referring to
They are stunting less this season. I assume that was in response to the Rams game.

The issue is that run blocking has become a chess match-up of angles.

All teams now run some amount of Zone Blocking.

An example is on outside Zone Runs that cuts back inside.
  • The Cowboys scheme has the DL flowing play-side.
  • That takes the DL (primarily DTs) out of position on the cut back to the inside.
  • The blockers don't have to move the Cowboys DTs, they just have to keep them from reversing directions.
  • Blockers use the DLinemen's lateral momentum against them.
  • Since it's easier to block the DL that are taking themselves out of the play, there are extra blockers to kick out and block the LBs.
  • The initial outside run action also moves the LBs making it easier to box them out from getting back inside.
  • Good teams use the threat of misdirection (Jet Sweeps, QB keep and roll out backside, etc.) to hold the backside defenders (Backside DE & LB).
The Cowboys have not solved this issue since the Rams playoff game.
- Other teams are just copying what the Rams did.

They are now "cheating" to stop the run with tactics like having the CBs in man coverage with NO help anywhere.
- They have the LBs and Safeties cheating up to stop the run and the CBs are mono-a-mono in the open field.

The defense is a Frankenstein of mismatched parts with Marinelli as the DC and DL coach but Richard as the Pass Defense Coordinator and Play Caller.
- By mismatched I'm referring to the scheme more than the actual players.

I just hope we get something figured out we made it good late run last year we need to have a another one this year and if we somehow can figure out how to play 60 minutes competitively anyway we might just have a chance to go beyond the division round as I see it we get out of our own way we got a pretty good chance but we also have a pretty good track record of getting in our own way

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Basically all of the big plays that Awuzie has given up are with 1 receiver on his side and 2 receivers on the other side. In college they would call Awuzie the boundary CB in that situation.

The problem is that teams cheat the deep Safety over to the side of the field with 2 receivers (i.e. The side with the slot WR).

If the Cowboys had Jones and Awuzie flip sides based on Jones being the boundary CB, I think Awuzie would be fine when playing the "field" CB role (outside CB on the side with the Nickel CB).

It is already odd that Jones does not play the LCB position which is the side where right handed QBs are more comfortable throwing.

Side Note: What is the criteria that causes the Cowboys to flip Woods/Heath such that Woods is in the box and Heath is the deep Safety. They've done it in the past when they played 3 LBs against 3 WR set because Woods can move down and play like a CB against the slot WR; however, on the big 92 yard play they gave up to the Jets, they were in Nickel but still had Woods down and Heath deep.

Just like the offense, I just don't think Garrett is smart enough to take advantage of these nuances. No matter how talented a player they are forced to play within the confines of a vanilla scheme and try to beat their man one on one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just hope we get something figured out we made it good late run last year we need to have a another one this year and if we somehow can figure out how to play 60 minutes competitively anyway we might just have a chance to go beyond the division round as I see it we get out of our own way we got a pretty good chance but we also have a pretty good track record of getting in our own way

I seriously believe that the best option would be to fire Garrett and have Kris Richard as the interim Head Coach.

That would give Kellen Moore full control of the offense and would give Richard full control of the defense.

The combination of Garrett & Moore running the offense and the combination of Richard & Marinelli running the defense is the top issue, IMO.

I've been involved in similar situations in business when companies merged and it was a constant issue of who was really in charge of what.

It might seem like the combination of knowledge would be better, but it generally turns out that conflicting styles make things worse and somebody has to move on.

Imagine what it would be like for employees if Apple and Microsoft merged...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like the offense, I just don't think Garrett is smart enough to take advantage of these nuances. No matter how talented a player they are forced to play within the confines of a vanilla scheme and try to beat their man one on one.

It's weird because Garrett was the one that wanted to hire OL coach Bill Callahan back in 2012 but Garrett was the reason that Callahan departed in 2015.

Callahan was the one Cowboys coach that improved things with both scheme and talent instead of depending on just coaching up players individually to "hit harder".

I think Kellen Moore could do that also but he is not in the position to overcome the Head Coach.

I'm not certain exactly how successful Kris Richard could be if he was in complete control of the defense but it would be better than him trying to implement his style while keeping Marinelli's basic DL concepts.

CB61

Reaction score
I seriously believe that the best option would be to fire Garrett and have Kris Richard as the interim Head Coach.

That would give Kellen Moore full control of the offense and would give Richard full control of the defense.

The combination of Garrett & Moore running the offense and the combination of Richard & Marinelli running the defense is the top issue, IMO.

I've been involved in similar situations in business when companies merged and it was a constant issue of who was really in charge of what.

It might seem like the combination of knowledge would be better, but it generally turns out that conflicting styles make things worse and somebody has to move on.

Imagine what it would be like for employees if Apple and Microsoft merged...
I had the pleasure of working for a big Bank in Florida when all the banks started merging my head was spinning like a top although I made out pretty good in the end but I get the idea. As far as kris Richard taking over the team I would be all for that any change your spark in this team culture change whatever you want to call it would be welcomed by me anyway I just wonder if the assistant coaches don't say anything or change anything for fear of the repercussions from Garrett? Hard to put a finger on unless you're in that Circle

CB61

Reaction score
It's weird because Garrett was the one that wanted to hire OL coach Bill Callahan back in 2012 but Garrett was the reason that Callahan departed in 2015.

Callahan was the one Cowboys coach that improved things with both scheme and talent instead of depending on just coaching up players individually to "hit harder".

I think Kellen Moore could do that also but he is not in the position to overcome the Head Coach.

I'm not certain exactly how successful Kris Richard could be if he was in complete control of the defense but it would be better than him trying to implement his style while keeping Marinelli's basic DL concepts.
No doubt but I read an article or part of an article the other day that said the Joneses feel that Jason Garrett is part of their family so I don't think the leash is as short as everybody thinks it is ? Now with that being said I've also heard in the past that there was a rumor of making Jason Garrett GM and then hiring a different coach I think in fact if Jerry does make a change that will be somewhere along those lines I just can't see Jerry cutting ties with Garrett

khiladi

Reaction score

Where is your proof that Garrett wanted to hire Callahan, who brought in a completely different zone blocking scheme that Garrett, in his life never used? Garrett was looking to retain play calling. That is the only thing that he cared about and Sparano, whom the rumors were that they were targeting after Houck went into ‘retirement’, wanted to call plays.

Garrett’s guy Houck was let go and Callahan became available at that time after the Jets, because Sparano took the job in NY as OC and this same staff brought Houck back the last couple year as a consultant.

Most of the talk in this situation back in 2012 was about play-calling and Garrett retaining it.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is your proof that Garrett wanted to hire Callahan, who brought in a completely different zone blocking scheme that Garrett, in his life never used? Garrett was looking to retain play calling. That is the only thing that he cared about and Sparano, whom the rumors were that they were targeting after Houck went into ‘retirement’, wanted to call plays.

Garrett’s guy Houck was let go and Callahan became available at that time after the Jets, because Sparano took the job in NY as OC and this same staff brought Houck back the last couple year as a consultant.

Most of the talk in this situation back in 2012 was about play-calling and Garrett retaining it.
Because Garrett said that he wanted to bring in the Zone Scheme and that he wanted to hire Callahan.

It was the common story at the time that Garrett wanted to hire Callahan.

What Garrett didn't want was in 2013 when Jerry made Callahan the play-caller.

khiladi

Reaction score
Because Garrett said that he wanted to bring in the Zone Scheme and that he wanted to hire Callahan.

It was the common story at the time that Garrett wanted to hire Callahan.

What Garrett didn't want was in 2013 when Jerry made Callahan the play-caller.

So you don’t have any proof? Garrett didn’t his whole life under Houck scheme, including Miami.

The rumors were Dallas was going to get Sparano, but he wanted to call plays. He took the Jets job. Callahan even said, when he first came in, that Garrett and him spoke and Callahan wouldn’t be calling plays even though his title would imply that he would. Garrett when asked about how this happened, he basically said he respected Sparano and the situation was such Bill is great OC and Sparano took the Jets job. That’s how it basically happened.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
No he's not just a rented player, he a player that could shore up the secondary knowing it after playing in the scheme for years and could help bridge the young guys on the secondary

seems to me you want a good coach....just saying.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And the off CB has to know he doesn't have deep help

That is the oddest part of what I have seen is that Chido does the one thing he can't do, let the guy get behind him when he has no help (or help that is skewed to the other side of the field)

Very odd.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That is the oddest part of what I have seen is that Chido does the one thing he can't do, let the guy get behind him when he has no help (or help that is skewed to the other side of the field)

Very odd.

Chido was playing outside leverage, shortening the width of the field, while the RCB played deep, making it less likely he needed help. From their technique, Chido would expect help and the RCB wouldn't. But Heath lined up to the right, inconsistent with that.

What was most inconsistent was Heath staying on the right hash so long when it was the left side that was clearly more in danger of getting beat early. The left and slot were the issues. He needed to cover that, not wide right.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
You do know your Safety is the one who lines up and sets the secondary. Right?

so let's fire the coach as all we need are players. Come on man... Earl ain't coming here and we can draft a smart player....or can we? lol

Dre11

Reaction score
so let's fire the coach as all we need are players. Come on man... Earl ain't coming here and we can draft a smart player....or can we? lol

Duh, he ain't coming here, nobody said he was, it's a move we should've made in the offseason. Try and keep up

Cowboy06

Reaction score
Duh, he ain't coming here, nobody said he was, it's a move we should've made in the offseason. Try and keep up

and yet...they didn't. So while it's your right to do so, why lament? Trust me, I was also trying to understand why you state they should have made that move yet didn't do so? You can't have everything. I wasn't in favor of Earl Thomas for a variety of reasons, health, age and contractual demands along with his personality. I can see why some wanted him, but we didn't. Now, I hope you don't attack again, but if you do, I'll just agree with you that I should keep up... Hope your team.just keeps winning.