CFZ Defense is almost set, WR market is good

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's what we thought weeks ago, bring back the defense and load up the offense in the draft.
You did. I thought Wilson would price himself out of Dallas. I never thought they would use a 5th round comp pick to get a player the quality of Gilmore. That was an Eagles move. I would use a 2nd on Juedy but we have to pick up his 5th year option so we can get two seasons from him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Gillmore had a really good year last year. It’s a deal with no risk. A 5th rnd pick and he’s under contract one year
Any clue how much cap space is left after he and LVE?
You might have to wait for some of these sites to catch up. I'm seeing 6.7M, but that's without the LVE signing. Maybe without some others too.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s all about the money and think Gilmore is more then just a slight upgrade.
Maybe a few years ago. Reality is that he is a slight upgrade. Now if he catches the pick 6 in SF where Diggs dropped it, well that would help.

Point is that our weakness on defense as still not been addressed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You did. I thought Wilson would price himself out of Dallas. I never thought they would use a 5th round comp pick to get a player the quality of Gilmore. That was an Eagles move. I would use a 2nd on Juedy but we have to pick up his 5th year option so we can get two seasons from him.
Need to address NT, then find a receiver

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Where's the Knowshyts that said LVE was as good as gone, Told you LVE was not going anywhere !

Seems like people that know, Agree

Mannix

Reaction score
I know with 100% certainty that a couple months ago I heard that Tee Higgens could possibly be out on the market via a trade....never heard another word about this. Anyone remember hearing this? BTW.....his teammate, TE Hayden Hurst is a FA....I really like his game!!!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe a few years ago. Reality is that he is a slight upgrade. Now if he catches the pick 6 in SF where Diggs dropped it, well that would help.

Point is that our weakness on defense as still not been addressed.
Brown gave up almost as many TD's last year as Gilmore has the last three years

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would love to see us find the money to sign Thelan. Not sure how much he’ll cost.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Brown gave up almost as many TD's last year as Gilmore has the last three years
Brown was a good corner. Not great, but he held his own. I would put Gilmore above him, but its not like Gilmore is still some all pro corner nowadays. And its a one year rent for 8 million? I would have rather they signed Peterson for two years at 14 million. That was the play.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys shored up their secondary today with the resigning of Wilson and the trade of Gilmore. Really thought the Cowboys would lose Wilson, excellent move to retain him. Gilmore was the surprise today. Why him and not Ramsey? Simple, it's all about the money as Ramsey makes double. People tend to forget, Gilmore was the best corner in the league just a few years ago, he is coming off a strong bounce back season. Really like the move.

Just heard that Lve was resigned to a very fair 2 year extension, another good resigning. All the defense needs now is to figure out the NT position and they are good to go. Think Lewis is most definitely a release candidate now.

Some of the receivers are coming off the board, two players received 11 million, that's is far better then the market last year. Do they have enough funds to land one either in fa or via the trade market? Still have Tyron's deal that can be reworked, as well as releasing Zeke to create more space. We also have to sign Rush or another backup QB.
We've band aid the defense for now ..until we get the draft guys that advances this defense.

- A must re-sign is NT Johnathan Hankins. If not it could be same run defense issues returning again.

- i was stunned that we were able to keep Donovan Wilson, whom i assumed would get a monster contract elsewhere.

- Note how no NFL team has offered a monster contract to TE Dalton Schultz. ?

- Though he's been cut twice from 2 different teams in last 2 years, i'd like the idea of Wagner and LVE duo,.. but as Jane Slater implied, once LVE re-signing happened, this puts
Wagner possible signing on ice. ..i thought if Quinn really made a push for the ex-Seahawk that he coached maybe Stephen Moneyball would break. .. but ..
Maybe club wants to invest more so in Damone Clark as the other off LB sidekick than a Wagner.

- LVE is decent-serviceable ..until we can get a new, better player.
But i'm likely to hear you repeat that the club likes LVE, more than the fans do. But i'd still take Wagner over LVE

- Ramsey is asking for even more contractual money and we already have to contend with re-signing Diggs who will likely demand to be highest paid CB in NFL.
Gilmore should be solid enough until we get a heir apparent, as he is around age 32. So it's a band aid approach.
And as a No.2 CB,...and not asking him to be a lead CB, . i'll take that for now.

- With addition of Gilmore, Lewis becomes the 4th CB, and he is primarily a slot CB
and methinks club prefers bigger, faster ball hawk Daron Bland ahead of Lewis.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys can’t rely on a rookie receiver. I thought that was the most likely area of free agent acquisition and I still do.

OBJ is more likely the longer he remains unsigned. But I’d look at dudes like Slayton, Chark and Hardman before they get signed.
Hardman and Slayton are just spot receivers.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Is Ramsey better at this stage? Probably, but Gilmore is still a very good corner too. All comes down to value and Ramsey isnt 10 million a season better than Gilmore.
But Gilmore has a 1 million per game roster bonus!!!!