CFZ Defense is almost set, WR market is good

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That sounds like Blake Jarwin all over again .... and you know the issues Jarwin and Schultz had blocking in-line ...
Yes, but that’s the trade off. Mayer is the more balanced TE, but he isn’t the mismatch in the passing game.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gallup didn't cost 7 figures 2 years ago. And his numbers were just better.

5.7ypt is just sad.
Gallup's contract was more of a #2 deal, if they can sign another with a similar deal it's like two for the price of keep Cooper. Many think Gallup should be better yr 2 after surgery and heard he was dealing with other injuries as well during the season. To protect themselves they will sign another receiver and probably draft another to protect against the likes of Tolbert/Semi not producing again. Think the reason why they are opening up such cap space is for the wide receiver position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Gallup's contract was more of a #2 deal, if they can sign another with a similar deal it's like two for the price of keep Cooper. Many think Gallup should be better yr 2 after surgery and heard he was dealing with other injuries as well during the season. To protect themselves they will sign another receiver and probably draft another to protect against the likes of Tolbert/Semi not producing again. Think the reason why they are opening up such cap space is for the wide receiver position.
Yep, its not inconceivable that we upgrade WR and TE....one trade/FA and one in the draft. Schultz market is non-existent with the draft class. If he agrees to a very team friendly deal (with Dak's support) he may be an option.
I suppose we don't have to rush and I'm sure the Jones' aren't in a rush....stall the market.
I can't see DHop's market changing, unless a team overpays with a 1st Rd (or a high 2nd Rd which isn't likely unless there's a poor team ready to go full immediate All-in).
Then again I'm always wrong with this type of prediction.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There are enough excellent TEs in this draft class to make up for the less than stellar WRs that may be available for us.

One that could and should be able to serve us well for his receiving, and also for his blocking and getting downfield. :)

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There are enough excellent TEs in this draft class to make up for the less than stellar WRs that may be available for us.

One that could and should be able to serve us well for his receiving, and also for his blocking and getting downfield. :)
Agree, the draft appears full of slot first receivers and more than enough TE (of every variety) ..... I'll trust McClay and team to make the right call (especially with the success rate in the1st Rd).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep, its not inconceivable that we upgrade WR and TE....one trade/FA and one in the draft. Schultz market is non-existent with the draft class. If he agrees to a very team friendly deal (with Dak's support) he may be an option.
I suppose we don't have to rush and I'm sure the Jones' aren't in a rush....stall the market.
I can't see DHop's market changing, unless a team overpays with a 1st Rd (or a high 2nd Rd which isn't likely unless there's a poor team ready to go full immediate All-in).
Then again I'm always wrong with this type of prediction.
Heard Jane Slater says she isn't getting any vibes of Shultz returning, even for a 1yr contract. Cowboys are not in play for Hopkins, draft capital, his salary are probably too high for their liking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Heard Jane Slater says she isn't getting any vibes of Shultz returning, even for a 1yr contract. Cowboys are not in play for Hopkins, draft capital, his salary are probably too high for their liking.
We've chained Jerry up and hidden his phone (hence no leaks on Gilmore).....i suppose Jerry is awaiting the market movement, which may be the way to address it this year ....make the market aware they're interested and let teams and agents approach us.
I agree on Hopkins, I think the Cards are hoping someone blinks and offers a 1st.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We've chained Jerry up and hidden his phone (hence no leaks on Gilmore).....i suppose Jerry is awaiting the market movement, which may be the way to address it this year ....make the market aware they're interested and let teams and agents approach us.
I agree on Hopkins, I think the Cards are hoping someone blinks and offers a 1st.
Both Jerry/Stephen hinted at needing another weapon on offense, think that is going to be their biggest signing or trade. Think Hopkins is out, but everything else is on the table.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Can't pay every position like a free agent starter. Just not enough cap. Certainly not something I want to plan on.
If they think they have to open up cap for a WR they think they swung and missed on both Gallup and Tolbert.
Last year, in actual passing situations, I was happier to have Hilton on the field than Gallup. Hilton was better yards/game, ypt, and catch%. By a lot. Brown was better on those stats as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We just need Wagner on defense and were set. Draft a DT/TE/LG in the with your top 3 picks.
I like Ferguson. And Hendershot as #2. I'm in no rush on TE.

I'd rather be looking at C for a top pick. Best would be to get a big one who can also play G. Our designated interior oline backup, and heir apparent to Biadasz.