CFZ Defense is almost set, WR market is good

conner01

Reaction score
not the news coming out today even on NFLs FA frenzy show say Zekes release is imminent.
It should be. I don’t but into the Zeke quit narrative but I think his body is just gone. Honestly I wish he’d retire so he doesn’t end up a cripple in his later years

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We've band aid the defense for now ..until we get the draft guys that advances this defense.

- A must re-sign is NT Johnathan Hankins. If not it could be same run defense issues returning again.

- i was stunned that we were able to keep Donovan Wilson, whom i assumed would get a monster contract elsewhere.

- Note how no NFL team has offered a monster contract to TE Dalton Schultz. ?

- Though he's been cut twice from 2 different teams in last 2 years, i'd like the idea of Wagner and LVE duo,.. but as Jane Slater implied, once LVE re-signing happened, this puts
Wagner possible signing on ice. ..i thought if Quinn really made a push for the ex-Seahawk that he coached maybe Stephen Moneyball would break. .. but ..
Maybe club wants to invest more so in Damone Clark as the other off LB sidekick than a Wagner.

- LVE is decent-serviceable ..until we can get a new, better player.
But i'm likely to hear you repeat that the club likes LVE, more than the fans do. But i'd still take Wagner over LVE

- Ramsey is asking for even more contractual money and we already have to contend with re-signing Diggs who will likely demand to be highest paid CB in NFL.
Gilmore should be solid enough until we get a heir apparent, as he is around age 32. So it's a band aid approach.
And as a No.2 CB,...and not asking him to be a lead CB, . i'll take that for now.

- With addition of Gilmore, Lewis becomes the 4th CB, and he is primarily a slot CB
and methinks club prefers bigger, faster ball hawk Daron Bland ahead of Lewis.
-Gilmore is far better then the other bridge players of the past and is a clear upgrade over Brown. Still need a future starter which remains a draft need. 5th rd comp was an excellent trade.
-Keeping Wilson was important for Quinn's defense as was Lve who lines everyone up, Lve was getting better and better when they acquired Hankins.
-Heard one of the good Cowboy insiders state they are next looking to fix their run defense, that certainly points to NT, is it Hankins, Hankins and another or just someone else?
-Clearly it's now pointing to an offensive heavy draft class, RB, WR, TE, OL are all in play.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Cowboys can’t rely on a rookie receiver. I thought that was the most likely area of free agent acquisition and I still do.

OBJ is more likely the longer he remains unsigned. But I’d look at dudes like Slayton, Chark and Hardman before they get signed.
I really wish we'd go after chark or Hardman ( I think Slayton really wants to be a giant )

CWR

Reaction score
Like the signing, but all the Cowboys did was make a lateral move with Gilmore. He replaces Brown. Slight upgrade. Wilson is a resigning.

So we are still stuck with the same problems on defense we had last year. MLB and DT. Nothing done on either of those fronts.

As far as WR it is NOT a good market. Not in the draft, and not in FA.

LVE signing is a HUGE disappointment. It means they whiffed on Wagner which would have improved our defense.

I have constantly defended Brown on this board, but NO. This is not a lateral move. Gilmore still has it.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Gilmore is far better then the other bridge players of the past and is a clear upgrade over Brown. Still need a future starter which remains a draft need. 5th rd comp was an excellent trade.
-Keeping Wilson was important for Quinn's defense as was Lve who lines everyone up, Lve was getting better and better when they acquired Hankins.
-Heard one of the good Cowboy insiders state they are next looking to fix their run defense, that certainly points to NT, is it Hankins, Hankins and another or just someone else?
-Clearly it's now pointing to an offensive heavy draft class, RB, WR, TE, OL are all in play.
Could there be a possibility that TE Dalton Schultz comes to an agreement ? ,.. as it does not appear to be many shoppers knocking down the door for his services.

Would you want Schultz back on a multi deal ? .. or explore the possibility of drafting a regarded TE in this upcoming NFL draft - especially since it's supposedly
a well regarded deep TE draft class ?
And there's also Jake Ferguson who the Cowboys are high on.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I know with 100% certainty that a couple months ago I heard that Tee Higgens could possibly be out on the market via a trade....never heard another word about this. Anyone remember hearing this? BTW.....his teammate, TE Hayden Hurst is a FA....I really like his game!!!
something is behind the scenes with hurst, could possibly be on his 4th team in his short career.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There are like 11 back up QBs on the market so that can wait for sure.
NT is needed but Hankins did a good job and A'Shawn Robinson is a DFW native.

NT, WR, IOL, Go draft.
Draft or sign a back up QB.
NT, LG, WR
We need more than Hankins and relying on Gallup is a mistake.
LG has been a weak spot for far too long. Sure Tyler can do it but we all know he will be back at LT soon enough so we need a real player at LG ready to go

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could there be a possibility that TE Dalton Schultz comes to an agreement ? ,.. as it does not appear to be many shoppers knocking down the door for his services.

Would you want Schultz back on a multi deal ? .. or explore the possibility of drafting a regarded TE in this upcoming NFL draft - especially since it's supposedly
a well regarded deep TE draft class ?
And there's also Jake Ferguson who the Cowboys are high on.
Shultz's price would have to come way down, he is looking for elite money, which he isn't worth. Heard the Chargers have some interest, but if he finds no takers, I would only be interested in a 1yr deal. Yes, it's a loaded tight end class, especially at the top, the big question I have will they target a balanced guy like they always do or more of a modern TE? We already have a good blocking TE in Ferguson. Still expecting a receiver to be signed in fa, most likely OBJ.

quickccc

Reaction score
Shultz's price would have to come way down, he is looking for elite money, which he isn't worth. Heard the Chargers have some interest, but if he finds no takers, I would only be interested in a 1yr deal. Yes, it's a loaded tight end class, especially at the top, the big question I have will they target a balanced guy like they always do or more of a modern TE? We already have a good blocking TE in Ferguson. Still expecting a receiver to be signed in fa, most likely OBJ.
What is the difference between a balanced guy versus a modern tight end?

-I wouldn't think they just get another Ferguson type.

-They'd want a mismatch athletic tight end
Someone who plays fast, explodes outta his breaks and cuts and stretches the middle besides catching the ball well.

- And remember that McCarthy was always been on the go for high athletic pass catching tight ends
From jermichael Finley, Jimmie Graham. and Jared cooks.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jane Slater was on the fan this afternoon and according to her there is no market for how much he wants. But she also doesn't know if he would do another 1 yr deal with Cowboys since he doesn't really talk to the media.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What is the difference between a balanced guy versus a modern tight end?

-I wouldn't think they just get another Ferguson type.

-They'd want a mismatch athletic tight end
Someone who plays fast, explodes outta his breaks and cuts and stretches the middle besides catching the ball well.

- And remember that McCarthy was always been on the go for high athletic pass catching tight ends
From jermichael Finley, Jimmie Graham. and Jared cooks.
When I say a modern TE, I'm talking about those oversized receivers who play the TE positions. Are more mismatches in the passing game then strong, inline blockers. Dalton Kincaid from Utah fits that to a tee. Real good route runner with excellent hands and run after the catch abilities. He could very well be in play at 26.

quickccc

Reaction score
When I say a modern TE, I'm talking about those oversized receivers who play the TE positions. Are more mismatches in the passing game then strong, inline blockers. Dalton Kincaid from Utah fits that to a tee. Real good route runner with excellent hands and run after the catch abilities. He could very well be in play at 26.
That sounds like Blake Jarwin all over again .... and you know the issues Jarwin and Schultz had blocking in-line ...