Defensive Backs Combine Numbers

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
stasheroo;1971308 said:
Any idea of where King is projected to be drafted?

With his measurables and the fact that he wouldn't have to start right away, I was thinking he might be a decent mid-round pick.....

King is just raw as rain. He has no technique whatsoever.
How coachable he appears may be the key to his draft status.

I'd say he is 3rd round guy.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;1971270 said:
Um, that's not even remotely close to what I said!

I wasn't referring to what you said other than your saying he plays faster in pads.

Other people are choosing to ignore the fact that Talib is faster than they believed after they spent the last month saying he would have to be a safety because he's too slow, that was who I was referring to.

lkelly

Reaction score
There are lots of rumors that King played hurt this year. Earlier in his career he was shutting down guys like Ted Ginn and Robert Meachem. He definitely doesn't have straight man technique down as that's not what PSU plays. His speed with or without pads is fine. Witness him running down Mendenhall from Illinois on a long run where King started a good 8 yards behind him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
lkelly;1971534 said:
There are lots of rumors that King played hurt this year. Earlier in his career he was shutting down guys like Ted Ginn and Robert Meachem. He definitely doesn't have straight man technique down as that's not what PSU plays. His speed with or without pads is fine. Witness him running down Mendenhall from Illinois on a long run where King started a good 8 yards behind him.

From what I recall he was like the top overall prospect in the country out of high school but I believe that was as a back who ran for 2K yards. I am not sure how much work he or PSU did on getting him settled a pure cover guy. As you mention doesn't seem like that was their style on D.

He is an intriguing prospect though and there are a lot of guys who were high prospects out of high school that ended up better as pros than they were as college players. I would ideally offer up lots of examples here but alas I am old and forgetful, lol.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
Something to consider re: King

He came in and played as a true freshman and was playing both ways. At practice he was mostly on offense, and once Derrick Williams broke his arm King went exclusively on offense.

So as a junior you're dealing with someone who has been a pure CB for only 2 seasons.

And here is video of the Mendenhall play:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXfVy2nZUU0

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
5mics;1971108 said:
Dunta Robinson tore his knee up REAL bad. May end up moving to FS cuz it was that bad. They're looking for a top flight CB and w/ DRC's numbers, they'll be very interested at #18. They really need an OLT BUT it doesn't sound like they'll go that way. But like I said, I prefer McKelvin anyways (Porter is my second choice).....

They need a RB REAL bad too thought. Will be interesting. Mendenhall should be available to them at that spot.