Defensive Line is Over-rated- We need a HUGE NT

rangers71

Reaction score
1fisher;2310788 said:
That tells me one thing..... The Titans D is better than ours! We are overhyped and overrated!

How many attempts did Palmer have in that game? If I remember correctly Ike (I think) was blowing through that day?

How does that stats make them better than us? Didn't we sack Palmer twice late in the game today? I swear I don't get most of the people in here.

1fisher

Reaction score
rangers71;2311375 said:
How does that stats make them better than us? Didn't we sack Palmer twice late in the game today? I swear I don't get most of the people in here.

Whoooopee-de-friggin-doooo.... we get two sacks when there's less than two minutes to play and they are down by two scores. Color me unimpressed.. :rolleyes:

Kalyan

Reaction score
PBJTime;2311241 said:
Is 50% an answer?:)

If it is a dink/dunk offense like Philly/Commanders I don't have any confidence in our defense as our DL doesn't get to the QB fast enough to disrupt their rythm. THe defense looks designed to stop the vertical passing game with 7 step drops but any quick 3 step drop offense is working well. On top of the our point of defense for rushing between Ratliff and Canty deosn't look that stout

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I am kind of suprised Wade has not insisted on bringing in a gynormous NT since he has a history of larger NT's like Jamal Williams and Ted Washington. I love Ratliff, but I really think he is better suited at end.

rangers71

Reaction score
1fisher;2311446 said:
Whoooopee-de-friggin-doooo.... we get two sacks when there's less than two minutes to play and they are down by two scores. Color me unimpressed.. :rolleyes:

Hey buddy I never said I was impressed. You were the genius who pointed out that Tennessee has a better defense than us because they sacked Palmer once at the end of the game. You said it I didn't.

satam55

Reaction score
khiladi;2310611 said:
I sure hope Dallas doesn't make any effort to re-sign Canty and Spears, because they haven't done anything to warrant an extension. Anything and everything surrounding Canty has been hype. Wade played man way more this game, and with the receivers blanketed, our DL still couldn't get to the QB, despite a porpous OL of Cincinnati...

Our main concern on defense needs to be getting a solid , bulky heavy NT and move Ratliff to defensive end. Our middle is getting gashed too consistently by the running backs. We get no pressure up the middle on passes...

Or we could Just move to a 4-3.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I'd hate to lose Tank. The guy has turned himself around and brought such a positive feel and leadership to the team

Galian Beast

Reaction score
i agree ellis is probably done. our defense ends aren't doing crap, especially spears.

if we can have a real nose tackle, we could move ratliff to where he can do the most work, on the end. Either that or we need to move back to the 4-3.

James - Thomas - Burnett
Ware - Ratliff - Johnson - Spencer/Ellis(08)

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I dont like the 3-4, but then again if we run the 4-3, Ware would no longer be a LB but a DE, therefore he wouldn't drop back in coverage as often but instead pass rush all game...

Reaction score
D needs a Pat Williams or Shaun Rogers...

A 6'5 350 pound to beast to occupy space...

Ratliff should be moved around at DE.. He is our best interior lineman and should be on the field..

Parche

Reaction score
In this game, again, in this particular game, I feel pretty good with our D. They kept our lead late in the game and force cincy to settle for FG on a pair of drives. Nothing to be excited about, but I feel pretty good with them.
And maybe change a DE, but leave Ratliff where he´s, because he´s a beast at NT and there he belong.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jobberone;2310779 said:
The Bengals had to use quick drops all day to get any offense. They couldn't run the ball. Our turnovers kept them in the game. As soon as they had to go to longer routes then the DL got to Palmer.

You have to know what the offense was doing to understand what our defense was doing. They did the job most of the day. And they never let the Bengals running game get going.

They were jam up this game. And if they sucked like you think then the Bengals would have gone to 5-7 step drops and picked us apart.

I'd give the D an A today. They saved the day. They finally got the ball back when we had to have a stop. The Bengals are a much better team than 0-5. That doesn't tell the story. If they had been able to run the ball then we would probably have lost this game.

:hammer:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2310611 said:
I sure hope Dallas doesn't make any effort to re-sign Canty and Spears, because they haven't done anything to warrant an extension. Anything and everything surrounding Canty has been hype. Wade played man way more this game, and with the receivers blanketed, our DL still couldn't get to the QB, despite a porpous OL of Cincinnati...

Our main concern on defense needs to be getting a solid , bulky heavy NT and move Ratliff to defensive end. Our middle is getting gashed too consistently by the running backs. We get no pressure up the middle on passes...

IDK if Ratliff is the problem however he has been our best DLine man IDK how much that is saying. However Spears is a bust Canty had a good season last year and this season I thought he would have had a break out season however that doesn't seem to be the case. Then we also Tank Johnson who has been vitrually invisible outisde of the FF yesterday. Also Stephen Bowen is crap and Hatcher hasn't lived up to hype. So we are looking at potentially 3-5 Lineman who are just wasting roster space for us so we are going to have a long evaluation of them this offseason and don't when people don't get resigned I wouldn't be the least bit surprised or upset.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2310762 said:
The Titans are second in the NFL in sacks. They sacked Palmer one time -- when it was 24-7 late in the fourth quarter. It was the only time all game they got credit for a "quarterback hit."

The Ravens -- who were hailed on this message board for their aggressive pass rush -- also sacked Palmer only twice.

What was those defense's problem against such a "porous" offensive line?

The Cowboys had zero sacks until garbage time.

1fisher

Reaction score
rangers71;2311603 said:
Hey buddy I never said I was impressed. You were the genius who pointed out that Tennessee has a better defense than us because they sacked Palmer once at the end of the game. You said it I didn't.

I've watched every game TN has played this year (sorry local channels).... and based on what I've seen, they play better than us.

It was not based on two sacks in GARBAGE time. Sorry to offend.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
nyc;2312225 said:
The Cowboys had zero sacks until garbage time.

So did Tennessee, which is second in the NFL in sacks.

Baltimore, which is so "aggressive" on defense, went 58 consecutive minutes without a sack.

How porous could the Bengals' line be if those teams can't get consistent pressure and sacks?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2312494 said:
So did Tennessee, which is second in the NFL in sacks.

Baltimore, which is so "aggressive" on defense, went 58 consecutive minutes without a sack.

How porous could the Bengals' line be if those teams can't get consistent pressure and sacks?

stats doesn't mean anything to NYC.