Defensive Line is Over-rated- We need a HUGE NT

khiladi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2313270 said:
1. Generally speaking big (ie heavy) nose tackles are not good at rushing the passer. Ratliff is by far the best pass-rushing NT in the NFL.

2. The only time the run defense has looked bad this year was due to the DE's, primarily Canty, getting abused in the Washington game. NT has not been a problem.

3. The real problem is at DE, not at NT. I don't think the problem is going to be fixed by moving Ratliff to DE. I think the problem will be fixed by getting better DE's.

It isn't the sacks I'm worried about from the NT. Our middle interior isn't that great in the run. We would be much better with a huge NT to occupy blockers without getting pushed around, allowing Ratliff to do his thing as a DE. We would also be saving energy for Ratliff, who is taking on double-teams all day long. Imagine Ratliff and Ware attacking from one side of the field.

you dont know the difference in 3-4 and 4-3 do you?

Last time I checked, the Steelers are a 3-4 also...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
khiladi;2313400 said:
It isn't the sacks I'm worried about from the NT. Our middle interior isn't that great in the run. We would be much better with a huge NT to occupy blockers without getting pushed around, allowing Ratliff to do his thing as a DE.

I guess I'm not convinced that NT is a problem vs the run.

I agree on not wearing out Ratliff but I think it's harder finding a decent NT than it is a decent 3-4 DE, so I'm more for keeping Ratliff where he is and drafting at least one DE come next April.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2313539 said:
I guess I'm not convinced that NT is a problem vs the run.

I agree on not wearing out Ratliff but I think it's harder finding a decent NT than it is a decent 3-4 DE, so I'm more for keeping Ratliff where he is and drafting at least one DE come next April.

The problem has, and will be Marcus Spears. He has made no progression at all since his rookie year, shame that Bill Parcells wanted to draft him ahead of DeMarcus Ware.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2313563 said:
The problem has, and will be Marcus Spears. He has made no progression at all since his rookie year, shame that Bill Parcells wanted to draft him ahead of DeMarcus Ware.

I don't know why you think it's important at this point in time to get a dig in on Bill Parcells but he's gone dude. Spears and Canty are doing a good job. When someone comes along that is better then the staff will eventually put them in there and you can bash them.

Just get yourself a license for TNT and go blow some stuff up.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
khiladi;2313400 said:
It isn't the sacks I'm worried about from the NT. Our middle interior isn't that great in the run. We would be much better with a huge NT to occupy blockers without getting pushed around, allowing Ratliff to do his thing as a DE. We would also be saving energy for Ratliff, who is taking on double-teams all day long. Imagine Ratliff and Ware attacking from one side of the field.

What is the basis for you saying we're getting pushed around. Do we ever get blocked? Yeah. Do we ever get manhandled? Yeah. Do we lose the running defense game? Yes. Last week we got beat by the Skins and it was more on that one thing than anything else. Do we generally win the run defense game? Yes. Could we have better players? Probably although as a front seven unit they measure up pretty well.

Do you even know what a good run defense is?

Sorry but I'm so tired of the BS on this forum lately I probably need to stop posting for awhile. I'm getting mean.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
3-4 DL aren't supposed to put up big numbers and no matter how you spin it, they're not the blame for our supposed run defense deficiencies (BTW didn't the Bungles "gash" us for about 60yds :eek: ). The front line has made plays every game that I've seen and Rat in particular has been a monster! Spears and Canty will rarely stand out but IMO they've been solid DEs as far as 3-4 ends go. And for the record the Bengals o-line is actually decent; turnovers and their always porous defense is why they haven't won a game. I do agree that we haven't been putting enough pressure on QBs but you have to put Ellis, Ware, and Spencer on your "blame train" along w/ the rest because they play on the line in nickel & dime situations...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The only consistent way to get pressure on a QB getting rid of the ball quickly is to bring a lot of people. Then you are gambling big on the come.

There is no need to sack the QB or even harrass them if their plan is to make quick short passes. It's very hard to march 80 yards that way and not make a mistake. A hold. A fumble. An INT. Dropped passes. Passes deflected. Yada yada yada.

If teams want to beat the Cowboys with that kind of game plan then we will win a lot of games esp with our offense and our defense which is only going to get better and better. Let them bring that stuff. In fact in may be the only way to approach the Cowboys. If they can do that and also run the ball then they will have a chance if they play near mistake free, win the ST battle, and we make too many mistakes.

Those are good odds. We have a very good football team. Even the haters think so. Not sure why the 'fans' here think otherwise despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Ren;2310622 said:
Ratliff is good, Spears and Canty on the other hand have not played well

:hammer: close the thread

we need 2 DEs, Hatcher and my boy Bowen suck too

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
khiladi;2313400 said:

idk what they run i dont watch them. I was refuring to how you want our DE's to get pressure when the de in 3-4 arent pressure machines they take up the tackle some times guards so the ILB and OLB can get around them to make the pressure