Defensive Line is Over-rated- We need a HUGE NT

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2312494 said:
So did Tennessee, which is second in the NFL in sacks.

Baltimore, which is so "aggressive" on defense, went 58 consecutive minutes without a sack.

How porous could the Bengals' line be if those teams can't get consistent pressure and sacks?

Against the Ravens, they had 11 first downs, to Dallas 18. The Ravens only gave them 154 total yards, with 84 passing yards. Cincinnati held the ball for 23:45 minutes.

I'll also tell you what... The Bengals, against the Cowboys, were 40 percent on third down conversions. The Bengals, against the Ravens, were 15 percent. The Bengals against the Titans were 23 percent on third down.

You may not be sacking the QB, but your definitely getting way more pressure.

Our defense is nowhere near the level of the Titans and the Ravens...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2312571 said:
Against the Ravens, they had 11 first downs, to Dallas 18. The Ravens only gave them 154 total yards, with 84 passing yards. Cincinnati held the ball for 23:45 minutes.

I'll also tell you what... The Bengals, against the Cowboys, were 40 percent on third down conversions. The Bengals, against the Ravens, were 15 percent. The Bengals against the Titans were 23 percent on third down.

You may not be sacking the QB, but your definitely getting way more pressure.

Our defense is nowhere near the level of the Titans and the Ravens...

Those are good stats also.

1fisher

Reaction score
dang... I didn't realized the Titans D was this good....

11.2 points per game
267.8 yards per game
15 sacks
14 takeaways

jbsg02

Reaction score
Ratliff has been maybe our best defensive player this year outside of Ware

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
1fisher;2312779 said:
dang... I didn't realized the Titans D was this good....

11.2 points per game
267.8 yards per game
15 sacks
14 takeaways

Our defense has

14 sacks
3 takeaways
22 Points per game
305 yard per game

coach316

Reaction score
I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are so ticked at the defense. No sacks until "garbage" time when they had PLENTY of time to score a TD, recover an onsides kick and get into field goal range for a win. BFD!!

And I don't wanna hear anything about how improbable it would have been. Teams do it all the time.

As far as I'm concerned the D manned up yesterday. I'm pissed off at the offense and special teams for handing the defense a short field all damn day. They had 5 possessions with roughly 50 yds or less and only came away with 2 td's and 3 fg's. How we didn't lose that game is impressive.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are so ticked at the defense. No sacks until "garbage" time when they had PLENTY of time to score a TD, recover an onsides kick and get into field goal range for a win. BFD!!

And I don't wanna hear anything about how improbable it would have been. Teams do it all the time.

As far as I'm concerned the D manned up yesterday. I'm pissed off at the offense and special teams for handing the defense a short field all damn day. They had 5 possessions with roughly 50 yds or less and only came away with 2 td's and 3 fg's. How we didn't lose that game is impressive.

Our defense is giving up 22 points per game ....... to go along with 3 Takeaways.....

coach316

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2312807 said:
Our defense is giving up 22 points per game ....... to go along with 3 Takeaways.....

What's your point?

We gave up 20.3 points a game all of last season. Less than a FG a game difference so far.

Through 6 games last year we were giving up 24 ppg. 20 (our season average) to the woeful Dolphins. Worst team in the league.

Its early in the season. The sky isn't falling yet.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
coach316;2312852 said:
What's your point?

We gave up 20.3 points a game all of last season. Less than a FG a game difference so far.

Through 6 games last year we were giving up 24 ppg. 20 (our season average) to the woeful Dolphins. Worst team in the league.

Neither numbers are good FYI.....

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2312807 said:

The defense is giving up 20.8 points per game and has four takeaways.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'd like to add that if Palmer didn't overthrow his back on that one play by like ten yards on the screen, it would have been another 7 for Cinci....

khiladi

Reaction score
coach316;2312852 said:
What's your point?

And that is the problem... This is the second year in Wade's system and we haven't shown any improvements. In fact, we are worse in the TO department...

1fisher

Reaction score
coach316;2312798 said:

haha.... we had a chance to do it last week and just how did that turn out?

:laugh2:

coach316

Reaction score
So it didn't turn out so well for us THAT time. Turned out pretty well for us in the past though eh? And ask the Texans if the improbable never happens.

1fisher

Reaction score
coach316;2313153 said:
So it didn't turn out so well for us THAT time. Turned out pretty well for us in the past though eh? And ask the Texans if the improbable never happens.

not quite the same as "all the time"

:cool:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Generally speaking big (ie heavy) nose tackles are not good at rushing the passer. Ratliff is by far the best pass-rushing NT in the NFL.

2. The only time the run defense has looked bad this year was due to the DE's, primarily Canty, getting abused in the Washington game. NT has not been a problem.

3. The real problem is at DE, not at NT. I don't think the problem is going to be fixed by moving Ratliff to DE. I think the problem will be fixed by getting better DE's.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
khiladi;2310666 said:
How much pressure did we get on Palmer? Do you know how bad the Cincinnati offensive line is?

you dont know the difference in 3-4 and 4-3 do you?