Video: Deion Sanders Is not a Fan of Big Quarterback Contracts

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Rams and Eagles would be wise to wait until the Cowboys pay Dak and thus set the market on their respective QB's. The numbers say they are worth no more than Dak despite the over hype of Goff and Wentz. If that happens any other way, they'll overpay and Dak will end up making more money. After the ridiculous contract, the Rams gave Todd Gurley, I'm especially curious about what the Rams offer Goff. They need to be extra cautious not to overpay again to make up for that Gurley contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That is stupid!! You never played QB. QB is the hardest position to play in football by far. An average QB should make as much money as anyone else on the team. The information a QB has to process in 1.5 seconds along with the skill set needed to play QB is not something very many people in the world can do, including Deon.

Homerun here.........:clap:piggybacking on your statement, 21 players ( 10 on offense he's leading and 11 on defense trying to stop him) QBs are accountable for on every single play accept 4th down.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Rams and Eagles would be wise to wait until the Cowboys pay Dak and thus set the market on their respective QB's. The numbers say they are worth no more than Dak despite the over hype of Goff and Wentz. If that happens any other way, they'll overpay and Dak will end up making more money. After the ridiculous contract, the Rams gave Todd Gurley, I'm especially curious about what the Rams offer Goff. They need to be extra cautious not to overpay again to make up for that Gurley contract.
I guess I'm catching him on bad days, because every time I watch Goff he's just not impressive. Looking at his overall numbers, I appear to be seeing only the bad games.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I guess I'm catching him on bad days, because every time I watch Goff he's just not impressive. Looking at his overall numbers, I appear to be seeing only the bad games.
I think what you see is what you get. He's never impressed me much either. His success is a largely a product of the talent around him like Gurley.

conner01

Reaction score
Aside from personal impressions of Deion, if you look at where the playoff teams rank in terms of QB contracts, it's hard to disagree.
Many have QB under rookie contracts and all of them will get signed

lwehlers

Reaction score
goff receivers do a great job of getting a lot of yards after the catch to make goff numbers look really good. cooks and kupp are really great at getting yards after the catch. the last four games I have watched the rams goff really misses kupp.

conner01

Reaction score
While I agree I think paying Dak huge money till he’s proven he can take the next step as a QB
The only solution is wait another year and then extend him because he’s gonna get extended
I keep seeing people say sign bridgewater or Flacco
But do you honestly think either would sign more than a one year deal any cheaper? Not to mention both of them have their own flaws

eastsideboy

Reaction score
I've been leaning this way for years. Hopefully the League starts realizing that is the best course of action unless you land Andrew Luck.
but the media tells us that all quarterbacks are supposed to make 30 million dollars a year I guess it's easier to sign the check than it is to write the check

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
QBs provide the most value to the team by far, so I agree with them making the most money. You can have three JJ Watts and still be 5-11 if you have a terrible QB. That being said, because they're so valuable and expensive, you should be very careful when making a long-term agreement with a QB. One bad contract can cripple your organization for a decade.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
While I agree I think paying Dak huge money till he’s proven he can take the next step as a QB
The only solution is wait another year and then extend him because he’s gonna get extended
I keep seeing people say sign bridgewater or Flacco
But do you honestly think either would sign more than a one year deal any cheaper?
Not to mention both of them have their own flaws

Good point........NO potential NFL starting free agent QB will sign here unless they are guaranteed a chance to compete with Dak for the position. We've seen nothing, zero from the FO that they are thinking along those lines.

TheStarInFLA

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily disagree with Deion but, considering he always tried to break the bank with every contract he ever signed — in TWO pro sports — back when he played, maybe he isn’t really the right guy to be criticizing the salaries of today’s players.

:huh::thumbup:
I go to a bank robber to learn how to protect my bank

Batman1980

Reaction score
LOL....especially one as greedy as Deion as a player. Hell, he admittedly rented himself to high bidder for god sake. Even started the catchy football phrase "business decision" used today.

Played for the Falcons/49ers/Cowboys/Commanders/Ravens. Truly great players would stick with 1-2 teams and play for love of the game more than $. I mean I'd want some $ too but if that's all you're playing for, you're playing for the wrong reasons.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
QBs provide the most value to the team by far, so I agree with them making the most money. You can have three JJ Watts and still be 5-11 if you have a terrible QB. That being said, because they're so valuable and expensive, you should be very careful when making a long-term agreement with a QB. One bad contract can cripple your organization for a decade.

So true.....we have seen the bad decision at this position cost head coaches and even some GMs their jobs. Other words, the margin of error is paper thin.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak either needs a great situation (which we can provide even starting in 2019 with a good free agency and draft) as well as much better coaching. I still think there's something there but he needs more help than he's currently getting.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is a fan of big QB contracts? This is a salary cap league. It's crippling to have one player take up so much space for years to come.

But that's the price you have to pay for a true franchise QB. It is not the price you should pay for the Dak Prescotts of the world. Move on. You'll be better for it in the long run.