Delpit Falling?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Would be an amazing draft.

We could draft Spaulding Jones over and over again with remaining picks and I would still grade it an A.
I like both players in coverage, but let's be honest, both are horrible tacklers. Having both could spell disaster.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I like both players in coverage, but let's be honest, both are horrible tacklers. Having both could spell disaster.
Fair point, both are suspect tacklers. Tackling is a correctable coaching issue though. They can cover and our DB's the last few years, outside of Byron, have not been elite in coverage,

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fair point, both are suspect tacklers. Tackling is a correctable coaching issue though. They can cover and our DB's the last few years, outside of Byron, have not been elite in coverage,
Poor Tackling leads to big plays. I can live with a CB not being a high level tackler, but not so much for a Safety.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he falls far enough would he be a trade up target in the second?
The only way I would be in favor of trading up for any player is if the Cowboys traded down from 17. They could use the extra pick to move back up. Straight trade up with original picks, no way.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Anybody that passes on Delpit will regret it. I believe he will not only be the best safety in this draft class but best one in least years as well. If Dallas gets him in the second out will be one of the biggest steals ever.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Delpit isnt falling to 51.
His 2018 tape coupled with injuries last year should mean he is one of those sought after day 2 guys tests goes before pick 40.
His 18 tape is top 10 quality.....

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm just hoping it works out to where S is BPA at either a deal down from 17 or at 51.

The third round could possibly work but after that they realistically can't be expected to contribute this year, and it's another year of a mess at that spot.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s not surprising to me at all.

Folks get caught up in highlights of interceptions but Delpit is deficient in a fundamental aspect of playing defense: tackling.

I posted the statistic a couple of months ago but Delpit’s missed tackle rate the past two seasons has been over 20%, so the poor tackling cannot be attributed to the injury.

I still think he goes Top 50 due to this being a relatively poor safety class.

bewp7

Reaction score
watching full lsu games and not just delpit highlight reels like everyone says his tackling is a major concern. he is in position a lot to make impact plays but he flat out bounces off guys that he should bring down and that is alarming. i cant even imagine what a freak like saquon would do to him...probably throw him across the field or stiff arm him into the shadow realm.

morasp

Reaction score
If it's any indication his NFL comp is Kenny Vaccaro.

Overview
Aggressive, urgent striker with good upside who posted a disappointing follow-up to an exciting 2018 campaign. His evaluation requires a full load of 2018 tape, where his coverage potential was better illustrated. He transitions with instinctive eyes and plays physically against tight ends. Willingness to rush in and hit has never been a problem in the alley or in his fits, but tackle inconsistencies have plagued him throughout his career due to angles and technique that could be challenging to fix. LSU sources say NFL teams won't be getting the alpha leadership Jamal Adams provided for the Tigers, but Delpit should find a starting role early in his career as a versatile safety with big nickel potential.
Strengths
  • Played through high ankle sprain in 2019
  • Physical demeanor will help a run defense
  • Gets downhill into the fit before blocks get acclimated
  • Willing to sell out his body to make a stop
  • Rushes into backfield to set edges when needed
  • Runs the alley on jet sweeps, stretch plays and receiver screens
  • Coverage was more consistent on 2018 tape when healthy
  • Offers physical detour for tight ends when pressing
  • Covers with solid anticipation
  • Heavy hitting is accounted for by receivers trespassing in the middle
  • Size and length to challenge and win contested catches
  • Able to jar throws free
  • Adequate reads and breaks from high zone
Weaknesses
  • Hips lack flip-and-go fluidity in coverage
  • Range as high safety is very average
  • Lateral transitions from off-man are a little sluggish
  • Inconsistent angles in run support
  • Wrong shoulder take-ons lose gap integrity
  • Wiry frame for durability as a tackler
  • Misses inordinate amount of tackles in a variety of ways
  • Tight hips limit adjust angles in pursuit
  • Frequently fails in coming to balance to strike
  • Needs to run feet and wrap up to avoid strike-and-fall misses
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/grant-delpit?id=32194445-4c67-8942-a373-bb1e9a2b7718