DeMarco Murray extension/Flashback interview

OhSnap

Reaction score
Last week Bryan Broaddus reported that he “heard through the walls” at Valley Ranch the Cowboys were looking at a contract extension for Demarco Murray. With all the comings and goings around Valley Ranch and talk of contract extensions for Dez Bryant and Tyron Smith, Murray has become the forgotten man.

http://dallascowboysnation.com/2014/03/contract-extension-in-the-works-for-demarco-murray/

The following is an interview right after he was drafted in May 2011

One of the myths about you or misconceptions is you are injury prone. How do you reply to that?

"I really don't pay too much attention to that. People will say I'm injury prone. I've gotten used to it. It's not like I've been hurt every single year where I play four or five games, then miss one or two. I missed two games my junior year and three my freshman year. Five games in four years, not that bad. But like I said, I'm just trying to get better."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...rone-i_ve-missed-five-games-in-four-years.ece

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
If they resign Demarco, then I will applaud. I know it won't be a break the bank contract. And I feel pretty confident that Demarco will agree to a cap-friendly deal. He's a good RB. Not great, but pretty dang good with the chance to improve. I don't think he has hit his ceiling yet. I'm excited about Demarco and the future.

yentl911

Reaction score
I know he may not always be healthy but when he is the guy makes plays. He runs hard, is good in the passing game and plays with a chip on his shoulder which is something that this team needs.

I think he is a top five back when healthy and our offense is completely different when he is playing. I have always liked him.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It would be nice to see him get a full season with a workhorse type load to put the injury questions to rest and to protect the defense. That most likely won't be the case but it would be interesting to see if the team could ride his talent JUST to see what happens to test that production/injury concern for the long term. His frustration towards the middle/end of the season relates to the team looking away when he is hot or just ignoring his ability to contribute in general. He is the player I could see going off while on another squad. He has had a light workload while here so that benefits his longevity.

Last edited:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm a big fan of DeMarco's. I predict a full year, injury-free season for both him and Lee.

On a side note, I felt terribly for him after that GB game. He deserved a victory.

dbonham

Reaction score
A 4 year extension would be respectful enough to sign but not long enough to torpedo the team if he goes south. Is there any evidence that his injuries are chronic or related? RBs are going to get hurt- there's Patrick Willis running around out there for gods sakes. Look at players like Matt Forte, Frank Gore, that's what I expect Murray to be for us. They mean so much to their offences and absolutely can't be replaced by late rounders like some people want us to do. If he wants Ray Rice money then may he go in peace, but otherwise lock him up for the medium term.

OhSnap

Reaction score
The last 5 years Linehan has ran the ball starting in 2009- 409 att., 404, 356, 391, and last year 445 attempts so Murray should get the kind of touched MB3 was getting when JG was the OC which could make him wealthy if he can stay healthy. But he would have to turn down an extension offer and gamble that he puts in a great year to give him more leverage at the table. (On an odd note the best w-l record for the Lions was 011 when they only rushed 356 times)

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I'm predicting a new contract being announced soon. It's a great move for both sides really, we get a huge discount and he gets tremendous security (and some real money considering he was only a fourth-round pick).

OhSnap

Reaction score
I want to see him used more as a pass catcher.

Caught 71 his last year in college, and 53 of 66 targets last year which is a whoppin 80% of everything thrown his way. It doesn't take much of an imagination to see him playing like Ron Springs if they wanted to go that route which is unlikely but he's got the hands.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
As much as I like Murray, I do not think he is a great RB. He has explosive games. He has games where he disappears. He seems to get winded easy and does not have the best vision. And then you add in he is prone to being injured. There is no denying it. He is also the best RB on the roster. But there are so many holes to fill. How can they waste a pick on a RB when they have a serviceable set of backs? That is the dilemma.

So much of the roster is good enough to not suck. Much like the team has been the last several years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
3 years/10m seems like the going rate. I would give Demarco that much, no problem.

OhSnap

Reaction score
As much as I like Murray, I do not think he is a great RB. He has explosive games. He has games where he disappears. He seems to get winded easy and does not have the best vision. And then you add in he is prone to being injured. There is no denying it. He is also the best RB on the roster. But there are so many holes to fill. How can waste a pick on a RB when have a serviceable set of backs? That is the dilemma.

So much of the roster is good enough to not suck. Much like the team has been the last several years.

His injuries have hurt the running game every year and he don't give you as much security as he does hope but he wouldn't be the first player like him to have a great year either.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Unless he proves he can be healthy, not get winded and run with better vision then I'd prefer they let him walk.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Biggest issue with murray is he yes he misses 2-3 games, then count the 1/2 a game he got injured in and the rust he has to knock off on the game he comes back. So when he gets injured for 2-3 games it is more like 4.

50cent

Reaction score
I'm all for it if they use him as a RUNNING back and not as a CATCHING/PASS-BLOCKING back. The fact that we have a completely running back that produced 1,100 yards on minimum carries and folk want him to catch more passes is utterly mind-blowing to me. I just don't get that logic. Hand the man the ball and watch him work to the betterment of the overall team, then pay him accordingly.

I think he is every bit as talented as Frank Gore and if healthy should be paid right along the lines of Gore.