DeMarco Murray extension/Flashback interview

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I know he may not always be healthy but when he is the guy makes plays. He runs hard, is good in the passing game and plays with a chip on his shoulder which is something that this team needs.

I think he is a top five back when healthy and our offense is completely different when he is playing. I have always liked him.

Man, top 5 when healthy?

He's probably the 3rd best back just in the NFC East. Que Shady McCoy and Alfred Morris.

Certainly not better than All Day, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles.

Can name a few more.

Once again, we always over value our own homer players.

yentl911

Reaction score
Man, top 5 when healthy?

He's probably the 3rd best back just in the NFC East. Que Shady McCoy and Alfred Morris.

Certainly not better than All Day, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles.

Can name a few more.

Once again, we always over value our own homer players.

I think he is better than Morris and Foster. I have never been a big McCoy fan - real shifty but not very physical. I am with you on AP, ML and JC though.

kevm3

Reaction score
If we can get him at a decent price, I'm all for it. he has his injury concerns, but that may enable us to get him at a lower contract.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I'd love to keep him on a reasonable deal but there is barely a market for running backs, they don't get paid much unless they're very very good and young so there's no reason to give him big money. If he wants big money, let him play out the season and try to earn it on the FA market and maybe we keep him or maybe he gets a big deal somewhere. With the career lifespan for RBs, his injuries and the lack of money being given to them, there's no logical reason to pay him a lot.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It would be nice to see him get a full season with a workhorse type load to put the injury questions to rest and to protect the defense. That most likely won't be the case but it would be interesting to see if the team could ride his talent JUST to see what happens to test that production/injury concern for the long term. His frustration towards the middle/end of the season relates to the team looking away when he is hot or just ignoring his ability to contribute in general. He is the player I could see going off while on another squad. He has had a light workload while here so that benefits his longevity.

The thing with him is to not pay him until he does play a full season and improve, too.

I'm so done seeing us overpay before receiving services in trade.

yentl911

Reaction score
I would hope we're not looking to extend Murray.

With the short shelf life of running backs and the way that position is being de-emphasized over recent years I don't see the logic of it.

I think we should extend him. Our offense is totally different with him on the field. Everyone says it is easy to find a good RB but we have been bringing in guys every year that just don't have the skills that Murray does. We talk about the importance of running the football to not only control the clock, but keeping a weak defense off the field and then say that the RB position is de-emphasized? I don't see it at all. A good running game and a good running back opens up so many things with your offense and makes the Defense account for one more guy and more ways that they can be attacked.

yentl911

Reaction score
I'm all for it if they use him as a RUNNING back and not as a CATCHING/PASS-BLOCKING back. The fact that we have a completely running back that produced 1,100 yards on minimum carries and folk want him to catch more passes is utterly mind-blowing to me. I just don't get that logic. Hand the man the ball and watch him work to the betterment of the overall team, then pay him accordingly.

I think he is every bit as talented as Frank Gore and if healthy should be paid right along the lines of Gore.

His pass blocking skills are very overlooked as well. That is a huge value. Look what happened a few seasons ago when we had Gronk in the backfield trying to block against the Giants - Romo was crushed. Murray is an all day sucker in the passing game - he is smart, makes good reads and is aggressive at the point of impact. Really solid blocker.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm all for it if they use him as a RUNNING back and not as a CATCHING/PASS-BLOCKING back. The fact that we have a completely running back that produced 1,100 yards on minimum carries and folk want him to catch more passes is utterly mind-blowing to me. I just don't get that logic. Hand the man the ball and watch him work to the betterment of the overall team, then pay him accordingly.

I think he is every bit as talented as Frank Gore and if healthy should be paid right along the lines of Gore.

Frank Gore was signed for 3 years, $19.21M a couple of years ago.

I think at Murray's age, 4 years, $23M, $12M guaranteed would be good.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would hope we're not looking to extend Murray.

With the short shelf life of running backs and the way that position is being de-emphasized over recent years I don't see the logic of it.

For once, we're in total agreement. Extending Tyron Smith is smart; even extending Bryant, but Dallas should let Murray's contract play out and just draft a replacement. Replacing RBs like Murray is not that hard to do and Dallas should always bring in youth for this position unless somehow the Cowboys land a once-in-a-lifetime back like Emmitt.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm predicting a new contract being announced soon. It's a great move for both sides really, we get a huge discount and he gets tremendous security (and some real money considering he was only a fourth-round pick).

3rd round pick.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think he is better than Morris and Foster. I have never been a big McCoy fan - real shifty but not very physical. I am with you on AP, ML and JC though.

DeMarco Murray has done nothing production wise in his career to even be considered close to the backs Arian Foster and Lesean McCoy have been. Are you kidding me?

All Morris has done is rush for 1200 + yards in his first 2 seasons and play throughout both years.

But because you're a Coeboy fan and DeMarco Murray plays for the Cowboys he's a better back than these guys because he's more physical? Lol!

How about considering who gets into the end zone more? On that list DeMarco Murray is on the bottom. Yards, TDs and being able to play throughout the whole season, DeMarco Murray has shown nothing in comparison to any of those backs.

When do our players have to prove themselves before they get crowned a top 5 player at their position like you did?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Demarco is a good player but he can't stay healthy and isn't very dependable.

I hope we get a young RB at some point in this draft with some upside because Demarco will not give us 16 games.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I hope we get a young RB at some point in this draft with some upside because Demarco will not give us 16 games.

We just did last year. How many RB's do we need in a offense that undervalues and underutilizes them?

Good point...

Joseph Randle is a solid at best RB too. I kinda wish we hadn't drafted him. He'll serve out his rookie deal and be gone here in Dallas.

50cent

Reaction score
His pass blocking skills are very overlooked as well. That is a huge value. Look what happened a few seasons ago when we had Gronk in the backfield trying to block against the Giants - Romo was crushed. Murray is an all day sucker in the passing game - he is smart, makes good reads and is aggressive at the point of impact. Really solid blocker.

You're preaching to the choir about Murray's all-around skill set, but if you are suggesting that he needs more touches in the pass game and not in the running game I disagree whole-heartedly!! The main duty in his job description is to tote the ball and last year he was damn good at it!

50cent

Reaction score

I only bring this up because I think think there is a disconnect somewhere in our fandom at times. Murray is every bit of a playmaker that Sean Lee when healthy and it didn't stop our brass from signing him to an extension with several clauses. Why not sign Murray to a similar one, since they are both unreliable with health issues?

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In all honesty, DeMarco should not expect an extension offer this year. If he does receive an offer, great. I imagine he knows that this is another audition year to get the big dollars following the 2014 season.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For once, we're in total agreement. Extending Tyron Smith is smart; even extending Bryant, but Dallas should let Murray's contract play out and just draft a replacement. Replacing RBs like Murray is not that hard to do and Dallas should always bring in youth for this position unless somehow the Cowboys land a once-in-a-lifetime back like Emmitt.

"Replacing RBs like Murray is not hard to do" --Disagree completely. If that were the case we would have had solid RB play from everybody we drafted after Emmitt. Murray is the best RB we have had since him, which shows drafting a RB isn't a guaranteed thing. That's 10+ years without a suitable replacement

KDM256

Reaction score
Certain players you don't need to jump the gun and re-sign before his contract is up..... DeMarco Murray is one of those players especially with the injury history he has playing for Dallas. Don't get me wrong I love Murray's game but I don't like is seeing his name on the injury report saying Doubtful or Questionable during the season.

If Murray can put together a decent year with numbers & stay healthy, then by all means re-sign but this year has to be a "Put Up or Shut Up" year for Murray