Demarco Murray is a difference maker

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think the reason people call DeMarco Murray a difference maker is because Felix doesn't rush for all the hypothetical yardage.

Last week they put up the numbers in games when Murray is in and out. They were pretty different.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Other teams defenses actually bit on the play action when Murray is in there.

Murray also rarely loses yards and often makes a number of yards after first and even second contact. He bounces outside off large piles - as he has above average vision it would seem, at least at times.

This gives the oline a bit of a boost in confidence - don't underestimate that on a struggling unit.

The fact that defenses don't cheat as much when he is in there is a big plus.

He is also an emotional lift - as he comes through often in the big situations (like the first down run late in game -that was pretty big). Game 1 he really made the Cowboys a tougher team, rolling over the Giants - he brings a winning attitude that just plain HELPS those around him both from the obvious and the intangibles!

Doomsay

Reaction score
Murray has 15 first downs in the last 2 games - he has been a crucial drive extender since returning.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4889104 said:
:laugh2:

Sorry, but some of you are a riot. If Felix put up the stat line that Murray did today, you'd all be calling for his head again and pointing out how "worthless" he is.

Funny stuff..

What? Fantasy stats aren't the only story?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Sometimes Murray runs like he's drunk out there. Stumbling around and running into players.

He made a few clutch runs when we needed them today but overall, he was very underwhelming. That many carries and only 50 or so yards, not good.

And yes, he's good when he's out there. But that's the problem. You can't rely on him to be healthy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;4889236 said:
I think the reason people call DeMarco Murray a difference maker is because Felix doesn't rush for all the hypothetical yardage.

Last week they put up the numbers in games when Murray is in and out. They were pretty different.

What's so impressive to me about Murray is how many first downs the guy gets after contact. Those are big, big plays, and he does it multiple times, every week. That first down to seal the game was, what, his third drive-extending run today against a very active front? That's rare, hugely important, and it's not something that shows up in a regular stat line.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Blackspider214;4889335 said:
He made a few clutch runs when we needed them today but overall, he was very underwhelming.

Murray was 5-5 in 3rd down conversions, that's the definition of clutch.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
ghst187;4888634 said:
outside romo, murray is the most important player on our team.
I feel pretty confident that had he been active against Wash, we win that game

Agree. The thing you can't account for is presence. His sheer presence in the game causes defenses to have to play honest which opens up the overall passing game for the rest of the offense. So glad to have him back.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes Murray runs like he's drunk out there. Stumbling around and running into players.

He made a few clutch runs when we needed them today but overall, he was very underwhelming. That many carries and only 50 or so yards, not good.

And yes, he's good when he's out there. But that's the problem. You can't rely on him to be healthy.

Murray's day today is pretty much the definition of why traditional running game stats can't accurately measure the effectiveness of a running game. Murray was a big reason why we won this game.

I'm not sure how to probably measure the significance of the effect for running backs, but it's the difference between winning and losing and has nothing to do with ypc or ypa. He kept the chains moving, though, when nobody else on our roster could have. Very impressive.

kevm3

Reaction score
Why do we need to cast down one cowboys player to uplift another one? Murray is the bonafide starter and Felix is the back-up. Murray does get those critical first downs, which is crucial.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
They have to keep giving him the football... He's going to break some long runs!

alohawg

Reaction score

lol, yes he does- good honest assessment. What's your take on Jones?

Wezsh0T

Reaction score

Sorry, but some of you are a riot. If Felix put up the stat line that Murray did today, you'd all be calling for his head again and pointing out how "worthless" he is.

Funny stuff..

The stat line has nothing to do with what Murray did out there. Those runs and catches in the 4th quarter allowed the comeback and then the victory. As they say, "stats don't always tell the whole story". Anyone would be pleased with that stat line if they take into account the situations in which those paltry stats were gained.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
When DeMarco is in - opponent defenses merely DO honor the Dallas run threat more than they would with Felix or any other Cowboys back in there as his stead.

It takes pressure off Tony Romo by forcing the front seven to commit to stopping the run. Which leads to more one-on-one coverage of Dez, Myles, the slot receiver and Witten. Which ends in some overmatched defender on any play.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Wezsh0T;4889573 said:
The stat line has nothing to do with what Murray did out there. Those runs and catches in the 4th quarter allowed the comeback and then the victory. As they say, "stats don't always tell the whole story". Anyone would be pleased with that stat line if they take into account the situations in which those paltry stats were gained.

He made some first downs.. i appriciate the fact that he gets us a new set of down when its needed.

Nowhere have i said that i dislike Murray at all.. im a big fan.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I feel like Murray can get short yardage when the opposition knows the run is coming and stacks the box (i.e. the first touchdown and the last first down). I like Felix, but I don’t trust his push is obvious short yardage situations.

e41dalasfan

Reaction score

Funny stuff..
I know ...The only difference is Garrett sticks with him no matter how many times he gets stopped for a negative loss, or stopped for one or two yards...Sticking with the run is helping the team more than who id running the ball ...these people need to get real