Twitter: Demarco Murray media rounds - DP Show and The Fan - 01/29/15

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Fence-Sitter.jpg

LOL

:laugh:

I'm allowed to laugh because it applies to my feelings on DM as well. I figure he ends up a Cowboy or Seahawk next year.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Man, it's weird for me on DM. There's probably not an attitude I like better on the team. *Maybe* Witten or Romo. The guy just wants to work, and he wants to win. And yet, I don't want to resign him because I think the odds say he's going to diminish and diminish quickly. Even at the $4-4.5M/year level, I'm lukewarm. At the same time, I really really like everything I ever hear out of the guy's mouth. And he walks the walk, too. Throw in the MMA stuff, and you know he's a bonafide badass. I feel guilting hoping the guy moves on.

Those that want him gone should feel guilty. He is one of the main reasons why we were successful in turning our organization around. Without Murray would have been just another 8-8 team. Sure we can credit the oline. But someone has to run with the ball. Murray ran with it even with a broken hand.

Murray is our modern day Michael Irvin when it comes to passion. He may not be vocal like Dez on the sidelines. But it seems he's priority is winning the Superbowl and not all about money. We need people like him on the team.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
My thinking was this:

1) Peterson's current deal is ridiculous for ANY running back. Add to that the negative PR on him this season and the Vikings are virtually guaranteed to either greatly reduce his contract or flat out release him.

2) If he were to hit the open market, the money offers wouldn't be HALF of what he was scheduled to make before.

3) He lives in Texas and has expressed a strong desire to play there. Considering how close the Cowboys were to a Super Bowl and the strength of their offensive line, if the money is remotely close, the Cowboys would edge out any other destination.

If the Vikings release him and he is willing to come to Dallas, I'm sure he's gonna be a Cowboy. No one calls Jerry and tells him straight out that he wants to play for the Cowboys and it doesn't happen. I think Jerry will make it work and we can enjoy a one two combination of Murray and AP touting the ball. That will make the entire NFL shiver in fear.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those that want him gone should feel guilty. He is one of the main reasons why we were successful in turning our organization around. Without Murray would have been just another 8-8 team. Sure we can credit the oline. But someone has to run with the ball. Murray ran with it even with a broken hand.

Murray is our modern day Michael Irvin when it comes to passion. He may not be vocal like Dez on the sidelines. But it seems he's priority is winning the Superbowl and not all about money. We need people like him on the team.

I just can't agree with most of that. You pay for future performance, not past. And Dez is clearly the Irvin of this team.

You win with guys who can play and who don't break your cap. While I agree that DM has exactly the right mindset, it's still a second contract, at a premium, based off of just one oustanding contract year, to an older RB (in RB years), who had too many carries last year. I'd say instead that anybody who let an emotional attachment to a player override the best interest of the organization for the long term ought to be the one who feels guilty.

Not that I wouldn't welcome the guy back at the right price. But rushing yardage does not win football games. Right now, it's much, much more important we use the resources to improve the pass defense, and it's not even a close consideration in my book.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Vikings release him and he is willing to come to Dallas, I'm sure he's gonna be a Cowboy. No one calls Jerry and tells him straight out that he wants to play for the Cowboys and it doesn't happen. I think Jerry will make it work and we can enjoy a one two combination of Murray and AP touting the ball. That will make the entire NFL shiver in fear.

Wow!

Respectfully, I can't see that scenario happening. The Cowboys might be able to afford one of Peterson or Murray, but I see no possible way they could or would pay both.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I just can't agree with most of that. You pay for future performance, not past. And Dez is clearly the Irvin of this team.

You win with guys who can play and who don't break your cap. While I agree that DM has exactly the right mindset, it's still a second contract, at a premium, based off of just one oustanding contract year, to an older RB (in RB years), who had too many carries last year. I'd say instead that anybody who let an emotional attachment to a player override the best interest of the organization for the long term ought to be the one who feels guilty.

Not that I wouldn't welcome the guy back at the right price. But rushing yardage does not win football games. Right now, it's much, much more important we use the resources to improve the pass defense, and it's not even a close consideration in my book.

Dez is the Irvin of this team when it comes to cheering people on the sidelines. No doubt about that.

When Irvin signed his contract he didn't ask for big money. He just wanted a Superbowl and the money part was of secondary priority. Now Murray seems like that money irrelevant and he just wants that superbowl title just like Irvin. Thus I'm putting Murray in the category with Irvin in where their heart is at.

On the otherhand, Dez wants big money. He wants Calvin Johnson money and he even told the top brass in Dallas "don't test my loyalty." If it came down to money or superbowl for Bryant, it would seem he wants his money more than earning that ring. I love Bryant to death. But when was the last time he mentioned he wanted a superbowl ring?

Murray has the right attitude for this team. We need more of him to show that money is everything. Having that superbowl ring is much important. That type of attitude is contagious and can go a long ways in the locker room. Same with what Irvin did. He put his money where his mouth is.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Wow!

Respectfully, I can't see that scenario happening. The Cowboys might be able to afford one of Peterson or Murray, but I see no possible way they could or would pay both.

Well AP has already cashed him and made his millions. Maybe he just wants a ring and to top it off his career, he gets to play for a team that he always wanted to play for. I think he will sign here for cheaper than what people realize.

Jerry will be Jerry. Even missing out on Manziel still kind of put a bad taste in his mouth. He's not getting any younger and he might just want this signing to be his last hoorah before he turns over reigns to Stephen.

But there is no denying that AP wants to play in Dallas and was open to the media about it. He even called Jerry on speed dial and told Jerry he wants to play for the Cowboys. The last time someone stated he wanted to coach for the Cowboys in the media Jerry made it happen. I'm not saying its going to happen. But it could possibly happen.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Our window of contention is intended to be as long as Jason Garrett is the head coach.

2 or 3 years of paying a 29-year-old Adrian Peterson leaves us with a near 33-year-old running back who assuredly will continue to be a progress stopper for any other talent we acquire. We'll be bankrupt at the RB position by the time the contract ends, rather than in a good position to promote from within.

We don't pay age because look at what Jason Garrett has done. DeMarcus Ware's release shows the front office's mentality.

Your statement about effectiveness and "injury prone" is pure conjecture. Neither of those statements is supported by evidence that is worth examining in this situation. Murray has never played for the Minnesota Vikings and Peterson has never played for the Dallas Cowboys, so any comparisons are moot. "Injury prone" is a fun term that fans like to throw around as if they're an athletic trainer or an MD, but they arent. Another moot point.

Why would we want Murray over Peterson? (Also, cute that you refer to him as "All Day" -- confirmation bias has a way of torpedoing your own argument)

- Murray is younger.
- Murray knows the system.
- Murray knows this offensive line.
- Murray grew up in this program.
- Murray is a part of the chemistry of this team.

Just a few reasons that have further reaching implications when it comes to assembling something as complex as a football team. You don't just grab the guy rated 97 on Madden and plug him in and your team is better.

Our window of contention is until Romo hangs it up. And then the hunt begins. That's reality.

Also you don't really go bankrupt at the rb position. The league is literally filled with guys who could run effectively behind our line. But if there is an area you go bankrupt at it's rb.

We released Warr because we didn't think he could stay healthy and produce at his cap number.

It's the same reason we won't cut Witten. Because he produces at his cap number. Age is one factor there. Not the only factor.

You know like how prone to injury and how effective a player you are. Anyone using history as a guide post would state Murray is more of a risk in either of these areas that AD.

Knows the system and the line? That's what you're going with?

I guess Forsett sucked this year because he didn't know his lineman. Oh wait...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
DeMarco Murray: The money is somewhat irrelevant, 'I'm thinking about winning a Super Bowl'

This made me chuckle a bit. We'll see if he puts his checkbook where his mouth is.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Dez is the Irvin of this team when it comes to cheering people on the sidelines. No doubt about that.

When Irvin signed his contract he didn't ask for big money. He just wanted a Superbowl and the money part was of secondary priority. Now Murray seems like that money irrelevant and he just wants that superbowl title just like Irvin. Thus I'm putting Murray in the category with Irvin in where their heart is at.

On the otherhand, Dez wants big money. He wants Calvin Johnson money and he even told the top brass in Dallas "don't test my loyalty." If it came down to money or superbowl for Bryant, it would seem he wants his money more than earning that ring. I love Bryant to death. But when was the last time he mentioned he wanted a superbowl ring?

Murray has the right attitude for this team. We need more of him to show that money is everything. Having that superbowl ring is much important. That type of attitude is contagious and can go a long ways in the locker room. Same with what Irvin did. He put his money where his mouth is.

You're joking, right? You must be because it sounds like you're trying to say that Dez Bryant, arguably the most passionate, emotional player in the entire NFL, doesn't care about WINNING and that, my friend, is ludicrous. How many times has Dez told the media that all he cares about is if the team wins and how many times do we have to see AND hear the footage of him "going off on his teammates" prove to be nothing more than 88 trying to rile his boys up to WIN the damn game? The fact that you question Dez's heart and desire to win makes me doubt your football acumen, i'm sorry but it just does...

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man, it's weird for me on DM. There's probably not an attitude I like better on the team. *Maybe* Witten or Romo. The guy just wants to work, and he wants to win. And yet, I don't want to resign him because I think the odds say he's going to diminish and diminish quickly. Even at the $4-4.5M/year level, I'm lukewarm. At the same time, I really really like everything I ever hear out of the guy's mouth. And he walks the walk, too. Throw in the MMA stuff, and you know he's a bonafide badass. I feel guilting hoping the guy moves on.

His skills will diminish without a doubt, but he will be 27 next season. That's not really the age RBs fall off; especially when they have that kind of attitude. He can be compared to RBs like Larry Johnson, who was run like crazy and was never the same afterwards, but LJ also had a very different mentality. I'd be happy to have him back on a 3-4 year deal. I'd aim for a 4 year with a sensible out on the fourth. The camaraderie this team has built does count for something and it does help the team win. I've been assuming all year that Murray would be gone, but I'm finding that I like that idea less and less lately. An average 5.5 per year as an absolute max is pretty reasonable I think. Make his highest salary in 2015 and in 2018. Say cap hits of 5.5 4.5 4.5 and 7.5. with a guaranteed bonus of 10M as part of it. Cut him after three years and there's be roughly 2.5 in dead money. That's not too hard to swallow for a guy who can have the effect he has on the field, on the sidelines and in the locker room.

Danger

Reaction score

I recall in his post game interview that Bryant said he considered this season to be a disappointment since they didn't get to the Super Bowl. And in a sound bite (I think the NO game) he was talking to Murray about how if he kept running well, they would go deep in the playoffs.

It's kind of silly that you would question Dez of all people about his passion considering he was almost in tears after the GB loss.

coult44

Reaction score
:laugh:

I'm allowed to laugh because it applies to my feelings on DM as well. I figure he ends up a Cowboy or Seahawk next year.

Lynch isn't going anywhere. He will either be a Seahawk or retire.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This is simple.

For a reasonable number, he'll be here. If someone wants to offer crazy money, he's gone.

I'm OK either way. He's not as replaceable as some think, and he's not as irreplaceable as others think.

I want him here.....but only for the right number. I want to see money for a key defensive acquisition, too.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. If you let him walk, your either paying someone else or drafting someone high, regardless your committing resources to the position.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You're joking, right? You must be because it sounds like you're trying to say that Dez Bryant, arguably the most passionate, emotional player in the entire NFL, doesn't care about WINNING and that, my friend, is ludicrous. How many times has Dez told the media that all he cares about is if the team wins and how many times do we have to see AND hear the footage of him "going off on his teammates" prove to be nothing more than 88 trying to rile his boys up to WIN the damn game? The fact that you question Dez's heart and desire to win makes me doubt your football acumen, i'm sorry but it just does...

Didn't say he didn't care about winning. He cares about winning of course.

Im saying that I never heard him say he wants to win the superbowl and that money is secondary to winning a championship. Irvin was about winning the superbowl and took a contract that was team friendly. On the other hand Bryant was a little defensive when it came to contract negotiations. He even said "don't test my loyalty" which I take as someone who would rather take money over winning a championship.

I wrote what I wrote because people here wants to get rid of Murray so easily. While Murray says he would rather win the superbowl than take the big money in run.

I love Bryant more than any of the Cowboys. But Murray deserves as much respect as anyone on the team right now - saying that the priority is the superbowl. To me thats putting his heart and soul towards the team than anything else.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I recall in his post game interview that Bryant said he considered this season to be a disappointment since they didn't get to the Super Bowl. And in a sound bite (I think the NO game) he was talking to Murray about how if he kept running well, they would go deep in the playoffs.

It's kind of silly that you would question Dez of all people about his passion considering he was almost in tears after the GB loss.

I don't question his passion. I love him. But look at it this way - I haven't heard him say he wants to win a superbowl over money. Murray stated that. Maybe its all talk and just part of the negotiation. But I would like to give him credit though. On the other hand, has Bryant stated he would rather win the superbowl over money? Him saying "don't test my loyalty" still rings loud in my ears. I wish he didn't say that. Thus when it comes to team loyalty I'm giving Murray a little bit more credit. Murray would rather win the superbowl rather than earn more money. That to me is what team is about. Yet people here want to ride him off that easily. Come on people.

Gameover

Reaction score
I think Peterson is about to enter the declining stage of his career.

I would worry about Murray staying healthy more than I would worry about mileage. He's only had a heavy workload for one of his four year career.

He's going to get 1,600 yards no matter where he plays next season, and the Cowboys are going look foolish next season when their offense struggles with Dez Bryant as the number one option.Book that