Twitter: DeMarco Murray on Hudson Houck

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's funny how upset fans sometimes get with ex-players, lol. But that's not an insult, they're just a passionate group. I actually like Murray. He's very knowledgeable of the game and had the best season a RB in Dallas ever had. I respect his insight in regard to the kind of help Houck can give this O line/Offense.

cern

Reaction score
Agreed

I know you and I are on the opposite end of pretty much everything but we agree here.

He bolted to a hated rival for not that much more than he was offered to stay here, and for less than what he was offered elsewhere (Oakland, I believe)

Loved him in Dallas and I know it's a business but he burned a lot of bridges on the way out the door.
the difference in money was of the magnitude of 7-8 million over the same length of contract. hardly small potatoes.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
the difference in money was of the magnitude of 7-8 million over the same length of contract. hardly small potatoes.
It wasn't the biggest money offered to him though. Which is why it was a smack in the face. I think it was the 3rd highest offer I think the raiders and titans offered 10m+ a year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm just interested in the OL going back to a blocking scheme that they showed themselves as one of the best OL in the league. Houck is coming in as a consultant but a lot work falls to Colombo to get this group playing to a high level. if he can it will give Dak time in the pocket and it will help open up running lanes for Zeke.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

How much of that was guaranteed though?

He didn't play out his contract in Philly so I would guess he didn't get all that money.
In the end, I think it was probably negligible. I could be wrong though.... I'm not dogmatically saying I'm right, going more from memory

Kaiser

Reaction score
He bolted to a hated rival for not that much more than he was offered to stay here, and for less than what he was offered elsewhere (Oakland, I believe)

Philly guaranteed him 21 Milliion and Dallas offered 12 Million guaranteed. This is a lot more, especially for a 2nd contract RB that already had missed considerable time to injury and who had been run into the ground the previous season.

DeMarco wanted to return and signaled it many times, but Dallas wasn't willing to go above their number - and clearly Dallas was right.

John813

Reaction score
And he was due for a new contract at season’s end. The Cowboys offered him a four-year, $24 million deal, but Murray spurned them and went to the divisional rival Eagles on a five-year, $42 million contract.

It was a good deal for Murray. The $18 million guaranteed at signing was the third-highest for a running back at that time behind only Arian Foster and LeSean McCoy.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...murray-retirement-means-for-nfl-running-backs

How could you hate a guy for accepting the Eagles offer?
More guaranteed at signing, more guarantees and a higher salary.

I c'mon, it's not like he shunned us over 500k.

Funny how some side with the NFLPA about players getting more of the pot, but then turn around and bash players for leaving their home team for more money.

cern

Reaction score
How much of that was guaranteed though?

He didn't play out his contract in Philly so I would guess he didn't get all that money.
In the end, I think it was probably negligible. I could be wrong though.... I'm not dogmatically saying I'm right, going more from memory
he wound up making 9 million from philly for one year. but he picked up a 25.5 million deal from the titans when he was traded along with more guaranteed money. he made out like a champ. he owes more to himself and his family than the cowboys. it is, we're reminded often, a business.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
he would up making 9 million from philly for one year. but he picked up a 25.5 million deal from the titans when he was traded along with more guaranteed money. he made out like a champ. he owes more to himself and his family than the cowboys. it is, we're reminded often, a business.

It is.

If it had been anyone but Philly, it probably wouldn't have bothered me (and many others) so much.....

Kaiser

Reaction score
Long term yes, but not short term(Romo era).
While Romo may of shattered his collarbone anyways, I felt having Murray and not that knucklehead Randle would of altered our gameplan.

Sure, but we didn't replace him with Randle - it was Randle and McFadden. And for 2015 McFadden did put up better numbers (4.6 YPC to 3.6, mostly due to our OL) while making 1.25MM to the 9MM DeMarco was paid that year.

And in fairness, none of us knew that Randle was insane.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It is.

If it had been anyone but Philly, it probably wouldn't have bothered me (and many others) so much.....
Understandable. But we're talking millions. The way players are cut loose regardless of contracts justifies players treating it like a business.
But I totally get the Philly thing. Which is why I chuckled a little inside when Murray and Austin didn't amount to much there.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Understandable. But we're talking millions. The way players are cut loose regardless of contracts justifies players treating it like a business.
But I totally get the Philly thing. Which is why I chuckled a little inside when Murray and Austin didn't amount to much there.
But he didn't take the biggest deal which is why it was a smack in the face. If the eagles offered the most money we wouldn't be as salty.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But he didn't take the biggest deal which is why it was a smack in the face. If the eagles offered the most money we wouldn't be as salty.
It was more than what Dallas offered, so at that point it's a moot point unless you dig into all the salary contract details.

John813

Reaction score
Sure, but we didn't replace him with Randle - it was Randle and McFadden. And for 2015 McFadden did put up better numbers (4.6 YPC to 3.6, mostly due to our OL) while making 1.25MM to the 9MM DeMarco was paid that year.

And in fairness, none of us knew that Randle was insane.

McFadden did a good job. Just feel Murray was made for this offense. One cut back with the ability to run over guys. And he was a good receiving back to boot.
Salary wise, McF was a good value signing/acquisition.

Felt like the FO should of compromised a smidge more to have Romo, Murray and Dez play a bit longer than they did. They were no Aikman, Smith, Irvin, but they certainly were a very good trio.

Anywho, it's in the past and we have Zeke.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It was more than what Dallas offered, so at that point it's a moot point unless you dig into all the salary contract details.
I don't care that Demarco didn't resign with us it's that he turned down bigger offers to go to a division rival