Twitter: DeMarco Murray on Hudson Houck

Philmonroe

Reaction score
It's funny how upset fans sometimes get with ex-players, lol. But that's not an insult, they're just a passionate group. I actually like Murray. He's very knowledgeable of the game and had the best season a RB in Dallas ever had. I respect his insight in regard to the kind of help Houck can give this O line/Offense.
It's funny and sad at the same time. Of course I wanted him to fail in Philly because they are in division but all that he burned bridges bs like I'm actually on the team please. That's some other stuff to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the difference in money was of the magnitude of 7-8 million over the same length of contract. hardly small potatoes.

Exactly. Plus, if I recall, the contract he accepted with the Eagles guaranteed him more money then did the others he did not accept, at the time. While the other contracts might have been for more dollars, the actual Guaranteed portion of the contract was better with the Eagles offer. I do believe that he would have been better off staying in Dallas but hey, I understand his position. He took less money to say in the previous deal with Dallas and he was looking to try and cash in on what was likely to be his last big deal. I get it.

John813

Reaction score
But he didn't take the biggest deal which is why it was a smack in the face. If the eagles offered the most money we wouldn't be as salty.

At the time, Bradford was the QB of the Eagles and a former teammate and friend of Murray.
He was the one that called Murray about the chance to play for Philly.

Murray: Sam's a great friend of mine. He's like a brother to me as well. We've spent some time at Oklahoma; we were roommates there. We played a lot of great games in Norman, so it was a huge influence once I heard that he was getting traded here. He immediately texted me and said, 'Hey, jump on board. Let's go win it.' I'm excited to get back with him. He's a close friend of mine and I'm excited to play with him again.

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...o-murray-sam-bradford-is-like-a-brother-to-me

Bigger deals? Explain.

Raider and Jacksonville gave him offers, with the Raiders being the highest amount of any team.

But it was thought the Raiders and Jacksonville offers were used as leverage, and he wasn't strongly considering either team

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don't care that Demarco didn't resign with us it's that he turned down bigger offers to go to a division rival
You probably would to if you had a chance to stick to a place you thought was your home. This the Internet so I can expect most people to act like they are above that though.

JustChip

Reaction score
It is.

If it had been anyone but Philly, it probably wouldn't have bothered me (and many others) so much.....

One of the allures on the Philly side by them was weakening your Division rival while theoretically strengthening yourself. It's the same thing Jerry did with Deion.

cern

Reaction score
Exactly. Plus, if I recall, the contract he accepted with the Eagles guaranteed him more money then did the others he did not accept, at the time. While the other contracts might have been for more dollars, the actual Guaranteed portion of the contract was better with the Eagles offer. I do believe that he would have been better off staying in Dallas but hey, I understand his position. He took less money to say in the previous deal with Dallas and he was looking to try and cash in on what was likely to be his last big deal. I get it.
not to mention the state income tax in California. over 12% for his income level.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It's funny how upset fans sometimes get with ex-players, lol. But that's not an insult, they're just a passionate group. I actually like Murray. He's very knowledgeable of the game and had the best season a RB in Dallas ever had. I respect his insight in regard to the kind of help Houck can give this O line/Offense.
Oh,Man!,,, as much as I wanted to& knew I should be hatin' on the ol' #35 Calvin Hill when he rolled to the Commanders after splitting Big D,,,?
I just couldn't, no way/ no how:oops:

InTheZone

Reaction score
**** Demarco Murray
While I say the same, I can't help but think from what I've seen over the last 3 years with Stephen Jones and Jason Garrett he didn't care much for this country club organization. The more I see this team bury themselves with their decisions maybe he wanted to stick it to them.

Initially I felt like Murray never put the team first based on the way he went about things during the game, even before his record year. Now I'm not sure I can blame him.

cern

Reaction score
Oh,Man!,,, as much as I wanted to& knew I should be hatin' on the ol' #35 Calvin Hill when he rolled to the Commanders after splitting Big D,,,?
I just couldn't, no way/ no how:oops:
people who say Stephen jones is cheap never had to deal with tex schramm. landry is most fortunate that he never had to deal with free agency.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Sure, but we didn't replace him with Randle - it was Randle and McFadden. And for 2015 McFadden did put up better numbers (4.6 YPC to 3.6, mostly due to our OL) while making 1.25MM to the 9MM DeMarco was paid that year.

And in fairness, none of us knew that Randle was insane.

Part of the reason (imo) Murray flopped in Philly was the system. He was his best as a physical between the tackles runner, using his vision and power to churn out hard yards between the hashmarks.

Kelly tried to turn him into a Felix Jones type (Read option, toss sweeps, etc).

AGain I was sore about him leaving even though I agree it was a business decision. But part of business is not only taking the most money, but getting into the best place to succeed. And in that sense, Murray made a poor business decision. He got paid but he put himself in a position where he was somewhat set up to fail.

He was so much better suited to the type of offense Dallas ran. I think you could make a good argument that he'd have been better suited to Oakland or certainly Tennessee also. Playing for Chip Kelly was probably (football wise) one of the worst decisions Murray ever made.

Randle was a certifiable headcase for sure. No argument there.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Get over it!! He was a great Cowboy while he was here. We weren’t willing to make a commitment to him and Filthy was. It’s business! He gave us his ALL while he was here, and in the final analysis, that’s all you could ask of anyone.

Don’t hate - AP-PRE-CI-ATE!
Well, maybe that's a little over the top. He left a lot of meat.on the bone. :D

Melonfeud

Reaction score
he wound up making 9 million from philly for one year. but he picked up a 25.5 million deal from the titans when he was traded along with more guaranteed money. he made out like a champ. he owes more to himself and his family than the cowboys. it is, we're reminded often, a business.

* x #19 Brice Butler would very much like to approve this message,,,( at least,I'd like to think he was of the same similar beliefs ,,,er,,,at one time,ya know)o_O

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Agreed

I know you and I are on the opposite end of pretty much everything but we agree here.

He bolted to a hated rival for not that much more than he was offered to stay here, and for less than what he was offered elsewhere (Oakland, I believe)

Loved him in Dallas and I know it's a business but he burned a lot of bridges on the way out the door.
2 million ain't chicken feed.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
people who say Stephen jones is cheap never had to deal with tex schramm. landry is most fortunate that he never had to deal with free agency.
Yeppers:hammer:,,,:confused:

*thanks,Man:thumbup:*

Reactions: BAT