Twitter: DeMarcus Lawrence isn’t going anywhere

fivetwos

Reaction score
I believe his expectation is to replace Armstrong, not DLaw. A quality rotational player, who also can play on special teams.
That's fair, and likely correct.

That being the case, the only chances we ever have to improve in any given offseason are round one and round two.

And that's if they don't ever bust any of those.

It just won't add up.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I would keep Cooper and let Gallup go
I say get rid of both and save that money. Not because I believe they're bad players. Both are great. It's because our Crapshow OC wouldn't know how to give them the ball... Our OC believes in spreading the ball evenly so the team ends up paying elite money and not using the player for what they're paid for. Til our OC is no longer our OC, our demise will stay the same year in and year out...

fivetwos

Reaction score
personally...i'd rather have DLaw than not.
i just think we're better with than without.
just my opinion.
its a business and they gotta make the numbers work.
but if this is true...its good news.
Thing there is his base salary is 17m, which may be a tad high but not egregious.

The cap figure is 27m due to the restructures, which isn't Lawrence's problem.

I can see both sides of this one, but I don't see how you carry him at that number vs an 8m savings.

Are we worse that way? Yup....but that's the flip side of kicking the can down the road in an attempt to save Garrett.

There's a price to pay for bad decisions.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's fair, and likely correct.

That being the case, the only chances we ever have to improve in any given offseason are round one and round two.

And that's if they don't ever bust any of those.

It just won't add up.
The first two rounds are usually day 1 starters, but the next two are more about depth and with some development can push to become a starter down the road. It really depends on the position as some translate quicker. We can make an arguement that the team has been a poor drafting team after rd 1 and fail to develop players properly.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’ll be honest…I dislike Dlaws attitude more than his salary. He represents the trickle down from the FO of guys who talk too much and don’t do enough. It’s a leadership void that annoys me. Hope he’s gone

THIS. It's a plague for many years now.
Then finally...
FINALLY! Parsons comes along whose natural talent is such that he could bring about some cultural change if given the opportuinty to lead by example.

But others have posted my fear on this already. Sure, he's a dedicated hard working amazingly talented athlete now...
But this overwhelmingly toxic culture and future second contract could turn him more into the talker who doesn't back up his production on the field like the majority of second contracts given out around here.

Even if it's only at the back of your mind, you gotta admit he sure is being used as a mouthpiece quite a lot these days.

I sure hope he can overcome becoming a product of his environment here.

jmo

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
If there's not a pay cut, I'm against this move. He's simply not close to what he's being paid.

Right, but does anyone feel comfortable that the Cowboys can effectively replace him ?
Do the Cowboys themselves feel they can effectively replace him ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, but does anyone feel comfortable that the Cowboys can effectively replace him ?
Do the Cowboys themselves feel they can effectively replace him ?

I certainly feel that the Cowboys can effectively replace him. The Cowboys took a $25 million cap hit last year and got 3 sacks.

Of course the Cowboys likely feel differently. But these are also the guys who paid Tyrone Crawford his full contract too...

fivetwos

Reaction score
The first two rounds are usually day 1 starters, but the next two are more about depth and with some development can push to become a starter down the road. It really depends on the position as some translate quicker. We can make an arguement that the team has been a poor drafting team after rd 1 and fail to develop players properly.
Yep.

I dont expect them to nail every pick. No one does or ever did.

The problems arise with the lack of serious free agency participation.

I'm not asking for the Rams model or anything close, but a top 10 FA every decade or so isn't a lot to ask, especially when the opposite hasn't worked.

I just think they dont want to be exposed so they play it very safe.

That's gotta be the kid more than Jerry, but he gained more clout after the Lynch and Manziel situations.

The whole one set of rules for signing their own draftees and the polar opposite otherwise is a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hope he's wrong. That's too high a cap charge for a player of his calibre and questionable attitude. I'd eat the $19M in dead money and find a better use for the $8M in cap savings from cutting him.

Only here does a player who goes all out on every snap he's out there and is considered a team leader have a "questionable attitude."

fivetwos

Reaction score
I certainly feel that the Cowboys can effectively replace him. The Cowboys took a $25 million cap hit last year and got 3 sacks.

Of course the Cowboys likely feel differently. But these are also the guys who paid Tyrone Crawford his full contract too...
They find extra value in sucking at more than one position.

I'll be talking about that final year at 10m until I'm dead.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd be happy if they were able to replace him with a player like Von Miller, but I don't think the front office would spend what it takes to pay Miller. Most likely, they would cut him and just bring back Gregory. If that's the case, I'd rather have Lawrence.

ESisback

Reaction score
I would be surprised if DLaw and Cooper are with the team. These are cap moves I don't see them as personal. Cowboys are freeing up cap money just as others are, I hate to see these guys go but as long as the NFL has a cap teams will have to make moves to free up cap space.
And there will never be a shortage of people screaming, no matter who they keep or let go.

75boyz

Reaction score
They franchise tagged Almost Anthony 2 years straight, let Ware go, paid Ratliff too much and Crawford as well. So now they are gonna allow this same player to hold them hostage not once but TWICE and he's not even that good.

I kept waiting for the game defining defensive play in the playoff game yet it was more like a no show.
And this has always been the case.

I think the scout team needs additional training on evaluating d linemen AND the FO definitely needs help on interpreting play for pay second contracts.

jmo

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep.

I dont expect them to nail every pick. No one does or ever did.

The problems arise with the lack of serious free agency participation.

I'm not asking for the Rams model or anything close, but a top 10 FA every decade or so isn't a lot to ask, especially when the opposite hasn't worked.

I just think they dont want to be exposed so they play it very safe.

That's gotta be the kid more than Jerry, but he gained more clout after the Lynch and Manziel situations.

The one set of rules for signing their own draftees and the polar opposite otherwise is a bit frustrating.

I agree, don't like how Stephen runs the team with not using the fa and trade market what so ever. If you have a major hole, much easier to fix via free agency then it is via the draft. I would of liked a Von Miller or even Melvin Ingram last yr, but they decided against it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be happy if they were able to replace him with a player like Von Miller, but I don't think the front office would spend what it takes to pay Miller. Most likely, they would cut him and just bring back Gregory. If that's the case, I'd rather have Lawrence.

If I can get Von Miller for a little more than what I'd pay Gregory, I'm all for it.

But to be honest, I'd rather get my cap in order and let both Lawrence and Gregory steal money elsewhere. I can get a combined 9 sacks for much less money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s an oversimplified argument that literally can be made about any player we’ve won a game without.

Also, your “7-1 without him” claim was wrong. If you really want to follow that line of argument through, the team had a higher winning percentage with him playing than without him.

He is a must in the absence of a quality alternative. Put the question of money aside, the defense is worse without Lawrence.

I think keeping him and restructured his contract would be a mistake. He is on the hook for 27 mill this year is they restructure that money on the tail end of the deal and he has not played up to those standard. Dallas has won without him that is not oversimplified that is fact. He is a good player he is not a player however this notion Dallas must have him to win it not a fact, they won games without him. If money was not a factor, sure I keep him but reality is money is a factor, it is a big factor.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And there will never be a shortage of people screaming, no matter who they keep or let go.

I understand that. It is not personal, it is to make sure this team is under the cap and able to operate. Other teams are doing the same thing, they are trading or releasing players across the league and these are not jags these are big name players. Cowboys are no different

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They franchise tagged Almost Anthony 2 years straight, let Ware go, paid Ratliff too much and Crawford as well. So now they are gonna allow this same player to hold them hostage not once but TWICE and he's not even that good.

I kept waiting for the game defining defensive play in the playoff game yet it was more like a no show.
And this has always been the case.

I think the scout team needs additional training on evaluating d linemen AND the FO definitely needs help on interpreting play for pay second contracts.

jmo

It was not lost on me that Lawrence was going up against a backup tackle in the playoff game against the 49'ers and still did nothing to make a difference.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If I can get Von Miller for a little more than what I'd pay Gregory, I'm all for it.

But to be honest, I'd rather get my cap in order and let both Lawrence and Gregory steal money elsewhere. I can get a combined 9 sacks for much less money.
This is where we arrive back at attempting to middle two situations and where business and trying to win on the field conflict each other.

They would rather have two mediocre seasons than suck it up for a year in order to take a better shot in 23.

Easier to sell hope both times that way. Most people don't notice and sometimes wish I was one of them.