Video: Demarcus Ware talks clearly about why the Cowboys failed but Broncos didn't

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure if you're being facetious or not? I will admit to not being sad to see him go either quite honestly. I remember thinking
he didn't handle his departure very well which soured me on him a bit as a game I routed for.

I never really made up my mind about him when he played in Dallas. He was a good playerfor sure but i did not like him, i just couldnt say why.

Maybe he seemed too soft, maybe because all of his great stats never resulted from great play in crunchtime. Maybe he looked and acted just too slipery like an eel.

When he left Dallas all came together for me and i finally realized why i never liked him as a person and his way of approaching the game as a player.

For me he belongs in the same mold as DLaw and maybe Jaylon (That "maybe" for the later just because i will give him another year to prove he is no fair weather player who is more interessted in selling his brand then actually playing ball).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I stopped reading right there because Cowboys fans should know better......Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode and Leonard Davis were all probowl level players and blocked for Tony early in his career.

Why this myth about Romo among die hard Cowboy fans continues to be told like an Ol Folk Tale is beyond me......
It was mid-career that he had a porous OL and it was led by Romo. Romo thought he could carry the OL by being hard to sack and wanted his assets used at WR.
Reality is the over emphasis on passing taxed the defense which was always bad late in games. Team just didn't put it all together at once which happens to 31 teams every year.
But Dallas lack of success over time is an indictment on all involved.

The move to shore up OL, build a run game was smart if you look at results.
2014 and 2016 were the years they could have broken through had they caught a break at all in those playoff games.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It was mid-career that he had a porous OL and it was led by Romo. Romo thought he could carry the OL by being hard to sack and wanted his assets used at WR.

I get some criticism of Romo but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was not the head coach or general manager, and no QB is so delusional that they WANT a trash fire OL.

And until they got Dez (the ONLY high pick used on a WR) Romo's best receiver was like Miles Austin or something, who team essentially spent nothing to get. Unless we think the Cowboys were going to get Joe Thomas with the assets used to acquire *looks it up* Laurent Robinson?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I get some criticism of Romo but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was not the head coach or general manager, and no QB is so delusional that they WANT a trash fire OL.

And until they got Dez (the ONLY high pick used on a WR) Romo's best receiver was like Miles Austin or something, who team essentially spent nothing to get. Unless we think the Cowboys were going to get Joe Thomas with the assets used to acquire *looks it up* Laurent Robinson?
Romo was one of the voices of team building.
He had a say in personnel and what he wanted for his offense.
He was confident in his escapability and wanted WR help like Terrell Owens and R1 Dez Bryant.

It would be absurd to just BLAME him, but at same time you can't just blame others ignoring he was an insider with extreme cache in team building.

I have never shied away from Jason Garrett's offense was trash and he might have been pretty good at some coaching areas but was largely predictable and not a winning coach on game days.
Romo did more than his share of heavy lifting in Dallas but he did not have the Brady or Manning impact of shoring up a team's weaknesses and instead just tried to pass through it.

Romo-friendly became a concept for a reason. It was the team acknowledging their job was to make his life easier. They had failed to do that and he had failed to demand it earlier.
His body paid the price.

If you compare Brady and Romo the big difference is how Brady influenced the offense and shaped the offense yearly around the team talent.
It allowed the defense to thrive.
Romo wanted to sling it, always. So he caught extreme grief when he had a late turnover.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you haven't seen this it's great stuff by Demarcus ware! The video is a little long and it lags, but Demarcus goes into reasons why his Cowboys despite having all the pieces couldn't break through and get it done while the Broncos could. He alludes to the Cowboys having way too many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. He also talks about they were more worried about stats and td's as opposed to each other. He said the Broncos would hang out together in locker room play video games, bring the family to just be around everyone during practices. He said the Cowboys lacked that team and the closeness.

Does this surprise anyone? Check the vid out, it's long and pool quality, but relevant content.

VIDEO HERE

He should take part of the blame if the was a lack of team unity because he should have been the leader of the defense and one of the top leaders on the team considering he was the slam dunk Hall of Fame type talent.

Techsass

Reaction score
Hearing this strengthens my belief that our biggest issue in the last 20 years or so has not been talent, it has been the weak coaches that have been brought in so that Jerry could be the guy in charge.

I hope MM changes that.
So are you saying that JJ is actually a pretty good GM? jk

BigD_95

Reaction score
I stopped reading right there because Cowboys fans should know better......Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode and Leonard Davis were all probowl level players and blocked for Tony early in his career.

Why this myth about Romo among die hard Cowboy fans continues to be told like an Ol Folk Tale is beyond me......

haha Andre Gurode and Leonard Davis were probowl level players. wow what a joke

Jerry Jones even made a statement early in Romo's career that "we didnt need a great Offensive line cause Romo is so mobile?

The most notable thing about the 2010 Cowboys' offensive line was its age.

Left tackle Doug Free, in his first full season as a starter after being selected in the fourth round of the 2007 draft, was the line's youngest member at 26 years old. Fellow starters Marc Colombo, Leonard Davis, Kyle Kosier and Andre Gurode were all in their age-32 season. They all had a history of above-average play but they were also all on the downside of their careers. None of them would last more than three additional years in the league.

Combined, that group of five -- along with injury fill-ins Montrae Holland (30), Phil Costa (23) and the aforementioned Barron (28) -- gave the Dallas offensive line a snap-weighted age of 30.5 years old, one of the oldest in football.

Six years later, Free is now the same age his fellow starters were back in 2010. In his age-32 season, he's the senior man and right tackle on the best line in the NFL -- and also the only member of the group older than 27. The nine players that took the field for the Cowboys' offensive line in 2016 had a snap-weighted age of 26.6 years old, reflecting a group of players collectively in or on the precipice of their physical prime

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-cowboys-built-the-next-great-wall-of-dallas/

Last edited:

Techsass

Reaction score
I have never heard this before or seen anything about it. Please provide proof if you are not making this up.
Romo made an off handed joke about it on one his game broadcasts. Whether you want to claim it as gospel probably has a lot to do with your views of Romo in general.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. I remember watching him throw a ball around to his receivers, before a game, with Jessica or one of his other girlfriends of the month standing by his side on the field. Sorry, there’s no way anyone could ever convince me that’s not a distraction not to mention a bad look. In the meantime you got guys like Hardy knocking clipboards out of coaches hands, Jerry strutting around on the sideline...what could go wrong?

Players have their wives and girlfriends around all the time. They'll show a player playing with his kids before games in the playoffs all the time.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Reality is the over emphasis on passing taxed the defense which was always bad late in games. Team just didn't put it all together at once which happens to 31 teams every year.
But Dallas lack of success over time is an indictment on all involved.

The move to shore up OL, build a run game was smart if you look at results.
2014 and 2016 were the years they could have broken through had they caught a break at all in those playoff games.
At most Romo in his entire career had a bad OL for 1 maybe 2 seasons. After we gutted the big contracts on our OL we immediately drafted Tyron, next season Freddie and next season Martin.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At most Romo in his entire career had a bad OL for 1 maybe 2 seasons. After we gutted the big contracts on our OL we immediately drafted Tyron, next season Freddie and next season Martin.
Ehh, Tyron was a mediocre RT year 1 and a mediocre LT year 2 before becoming great.
Travis was bullied year 1.

There were some lean OL years in there.
But again it was mostly a team issue and Romo contributed with his play style and contract.

Team won all of 2 playoff games with Tony so no one escapes blame. It was an underachieving era.
Front office was bad then got better then lulled then got better again.
Jason was terrible as OC/play caller then learned on job as head coach.
Romo def had some pressing mistakes late in games.
And lots of bad luck to be found.... Crayton drop, fumbled PAT, Dez robbery, Murray fumble.

Can you imagine how Dak would be viewed if he started 5 more years and we won only one more playoff game???

MikeB80

Reaction score
A little Mexican vacation before the playoffs. A UFA did that.

8 days before the game. Newman went home to kansas for the whole weekend and marcus spears went hunting in Louisiana

The head coach instructed them all to get away from football for the whole weekend and be back monday morning. Most of the team was off somewhere.

or as you put it, the ufa went to mexico.

aria

Reaction score
Players have their wives and girlfriends around all the time. They'll show a player playing with his kids before games in the playoffs all the time.
Yup, but it doesn’t make it right and Jerry should be setting the example. He’s a living piece of excrement, don’t get married if you can’t stay true.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
8 days before the game. Newman went home to kansas for the whole weekend and marcus spears went hunting in Louisiana

The head coach instructed them all to get away from football for the whole weekend and be back monday morning. Most of the team was off somewhere.

or as you put it, the ufa went to mexico.

Culture in Dallas sucks. Not about winning there. Coach Cupcake was awful but those leaders should have stuck around. Manning and Brady would not have done it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Romo made an off handed joke about it on one his game broadcasts. Whether you want to claim it as gospel probably has a lot to do with your views of Romo in general.

OK, thanks. I just thought if he said something like that seriously more would have been made of it. And I absolutely can't find anything about it through searches.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It seems strange to me that we've had teams in our past that were close. :huh:
Maybe it's our recent teams' coaching that failed to encourage it enough. :omg:

Otherwise, perhaps the friendliness of recent players were simply lacking? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johneric8

Reaction score
It seems strange to me that we've had teams in our past that were close. :huh:
Maybe it's our recent teams' coaching that failed to encourage it enough. :omg:

Otherwise, perhaps the friendliness of recent players were simply lacking? :rolleyes:

I think it comes down to the head coach and the tone that is set. I remember meeting Jason garrett at a local Golf Course back when he was actually playing with the cowboys and what struck me about him then was how artificial he seemed.

I'm also a wedding photographer whom has quite a few Dallas Cowboys X players weddings and I can tell you first hand from taking to players that Jason Garrett didn't really relate to the players at all in any way shape or form. Yes, they liked him, but that was about it.. I think we haven't had the right head coach in a long time! I thought Urban Meyer would of been great, but hopefully McCarthy knows how to keep the guys confident, close and loose.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the head coach and the tone that is set. I remember meeting Jason garrett at a local Golf Course back when he was actually playing with the cowboys and what struck me about him then was how artificial he seemed.

I'm also a wedding photographer whom has quite a few Dallas Cowboys X players weddings and I can tell you first hand from taking to players that Jason Garrett didn't really relate to the players at all in any way shape or form. Yes, they liked him, but that was about it.. I think we haven't had the right head coach in a long time! I thought Urban Meyer would of been great, but hopefully McCarthy knows how to keep the guys confident, close and loose.

I do seem to recall that during the days that Jimmy Johnson coached, that he made it a point to hold activities to encourage it. ;)

Last edited: