DeMarvion Overshown slowly working his way back from torn ACL

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
From what I can see on the website we are walking into the draft with Buddy Johnson, Damone Clark, Eric Kendricks and Overshown as the LBs. I didn't count Micah because I feel, although he is listed as a LB, his impact isn't at that position and we will always see him on the line.

In 2021 with a defensive coach who typically played only 2 LBs in most sets we had: Van Der Esch, Bernard, Cox, Gifford, Golston, Kamara and Jaylon Smith. Seven LBs. Once again I left out Parsons.

Kendricks to me is the replacement for Van Der Esch. We need a few more LBs, and I would make sure there is coverage for Overshown until he can prove he is not a JAG on the field recovering from an injury.
Yes, if for no other reason than his (Kendricks) age, need to draft another LB somewhere this draft.

If there's any worth having, that is. Never know when there will be a run on a particular position....

vlad

Reaction score
I hope he plays well, but he seems like a DQ linebacker, light in the pants. One of these draft websites lists his strength/weakness as below. Doesn't sound too great for what we need imho, but hopefully I'm wrong as can be and he lights it up.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• He's got elite speed 4.56 in the forty for a linebacker - able to easily stay with tight ends on deeper routes and able to track running backs sideline to sideline laterally
  • Outstanding change of direction skills combined with impressive acceleration allowing him to shoot gaps
  • Has the frame to add more weight
  • He has the overall athleticism to hold up in space when dropping into coverage.
  • Has the dynamic athleticism to be a force on the edge. He’s a fluid mover with bend-and-dip flexibility as a pass rusher, and Overshown uses his long arms to ward off blockers.
  • He combines good length and initial quickness, showing the burst to win early in the down as a pass rusher.
  • Overshown has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting, and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as a solid, wrap-up tackler.
  • Has the fluid hips and long arms to turn and run with tight ends, as well as excellent range when dropping into zone coverage.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Not instinctive reacting to RPO plays leaving him late to the POA
  • Not as good in coverage as you would expect given his history as a safety/corner - over the past two years his QB rating when targetted has averaged around a distinctly unimpressive a 100
  • As a blitzer his technique is very raw- and is forced to rely on speed alone to get to the quarterback
  • Size is currently a big problem. Overshown doesn’t have much in the way of take-on skills, struggling to shed once blockers get into his body, and a relative lack of upper-body strength.
  • Struggles to slip blocks- doesn't have the power as shedder - he’ll need to be covered up in order to make plays.
  • Overshown has take-on skills but is probably better off getting covered up in order to maximize his range.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I hope he plays well, but he seems like a DQ linebacker, light in the pants. One of these draft websites lists his strength/weakness as below. Doesn't sound too great for what we need imho, but hopefully I'm wrong as can be and he lights it up.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• He's got elite speed 4.56 in the forty for a linebacker - able to easily stay with tight ends on deeper routes and able to track running backs sideline to sideline laterally
  • Outstanding change of direction skills combined with impressive acceleration allowing him to shoot gaps
  • Has the frame to add more weight
  • He has the overall athleticism to hold up in space when dropping into coverage.
  • Has the dynamic athleticism to be a force on the edge. He’s a fluid mover with bend-and-dip flexibility as a pass rusher, and Overshown uses his long arms to ward off blockers.
  • He combines good length and initial quickness, showing the burst to win early in the down as a pass rusher.
  • Overshown has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting, and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as a solid, wrap-up tackler.
  • Has the fluid hips and long arms to turn and run with tight ends, as well as excellent range when dropping into zone coverage.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Not instinctive reacting to RPO plays leaving him late to the POA
  • Not as good in coverage as you would expect given his history as a safety/corner - over the past two years his QB rating when targetted has averaged around a distinctly unimpressive a 100
  • As a blitzer his technique is very raw- and is forced to rely on speed alone to get to the quarterback
  • Size is currently a big problem. Overshown doesn’t have much in the way of take-on skills, struggling to shed once blockers get into his body, and a relative lack of upper-body strength.
  • Struggles to slip blocks- doesn't have the power as shedder - he’ll need to be covered up in order to make plays.
  • Overshown has take-on skills but is probably better off getting covered up in order to maximize his range.
A lot of emphasis on his size, I would submit that any NFL player can add on 10 lbs or so, especially given he didn't play at all after August, he's had more than a half year to add strength and size, and as noted has the frame to bulk up.

Again, not too worried about him at this point, way too early removed from the ACL tear, we'll know more in the summer, whether it be good or bad...

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, indeed. (Feel free to insert commercial here).

Draft is always important, but I can't recall many drafts over the years that were as important as this one. So many needs, which in of itself isn't unusual, but IF Dallas can hit on OT and C and RB, and IF Overshown and Diggs recover fully from injury, and IF some of the second and third year players can make that big second year jump, then this team might, repeat might, not be as bad as some think.

Not hoping for the above, of course, I lost hope for Dallas a number of years ago, just noting what would be nice to see...
to be honest i am really past frustrated at Jerry...dont say this year we are all in and do the opposite....He abuses the fan base...he deserves we walk out and no one buy are support them at all....because its money that seems to only motivate this man?....if i am being way over the top let me know...i can take correction

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been called many things whether they fit or not the one thing I do know it's I'm very passionate about my Dallas Cowboys.. I will not allow them to be trampled upon by our own fan base called out using descriptive words that don't fit and that goes for our players I will stick up for any of them that are wearing the colors.. I pull for the stars I pull for the logo we don't have a choice on who's playing and who's coaching and who's the GM we just have our team to watch year to year week to week and that is just what it is.

I'm not gonna sit here and be that guy saying ohh it's been 28 years and it's the same old same old no to me every year is a one off.. So I for sure will be passionate about sticking up for my team and no I'm not wearing rose colored glasses I'm a realist I know what's been going on but again there are about 20 plus other teams that would trade places with us and wouldn't be complaining about being bumped out of the playoffs every year literally five out of the last eight years we've been to the playoffs and somehow this fan base talks as if we're A 5 win team.

What they need is a dose of reality we need about 3-5 and twelve seasons in a row so they can witness what a really bad team truly looks like and then they can complain about never winning a division finishing last in the division and not making the playoffs that'd be a real thing to complain about....
totally agree 100% blueblood70

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yes I'm a very passionate fans that take these things very personal when they attack every player every coach the front office the team on a whole I'm gonna be the one that speaks up for sure lol...
on paper we cannot be as good as last year unless we hit on every draft pick as superstar and somehow Jerry gets out of his rear-end and gets free agents.....it is so frusrating that is why i have stayed away from this site for 4 months

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i have heard on average it takes 2 years to fully recover from ACL...but i am sure factors come into play...like how severe etc?
Overshown is no where near....at playing level speed....it takes usually 2 years to return from ACL....sometimes you can get lucky...good thing i happened about a year ago so he has that going for him...but he is not the linebacker that took over the team in 2023 prior to injury

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks. I thought it was right after he got paid. It sucked because he was doing good before the injury.
mr glimmer----it really upset me we did not stay with Gallup...it takes sometimes over 2 years to fully recover from ACL....and Gallup was making some plays towared the end....he is a total stud....we will so regret letting him go...that is my prediction

glimmerman

Reaction score
mr glimmer----it really upset me we did not stay with Gallup...it takes sometimes over 2 years to fully recover from ACL....and Gallup was making some plays towared the end....he is a total stud....we will so regret letting him go...that is my prediction
Plus didn’t we have to eat a bunch of money. And who is going to replace him. We dont have our normal amount of draft picks. And we lost a lot of good players. Edge rushers, our best DT we let go of over 2 million dollars. And Gallup. Our starting center. Our LT. Plus we do nothing in FA.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
.if i am being way over the top let me know
We are entitled to our opinons, both here and elsewhere. So, no, I can certainly see why you fell that way. And besides, none of us know for sure what motivates Jerry, and why he acts like he does. Personally, I think Jerry can, and does, separate making money and winning SBs.

But we'll probably never know for sure...

vlad

Reaction score
A lot of emphasis on his size, I would submit that any NFL player can add on 10 lbs or so, especially given he didn't play at all after August, he's had more than a half year to add strength and size, and as noted has the frame to bulk up.

Again, not too worried about him at this point, way too early removed from the ACL tear, we'll know more in the summer, whether it be good or bad...
Yeah that all makes good sense, i just find it troubling how so many ppl assume he’s like a plug and play starter. He was a 3rd round lb after all. Again i hope he is great but that approach has me worried

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah that all makes good sense, i just find it troubling how so many ppl assume he’s like a plug and play starter. He was a 3rd round lb after all. Again i hope he is great but that approach has me worried
Yes, too many people were "wowed" by his preseason play, which of course isn't the sole determiner of how a player will do....