Derrick Brown possibly being on the board at 17

DanA

Reaction score
Brown has almost no bust potential. Kinlaw's is much higher. Kinlaw is very raw, and is more of an athlete than a football player at this point and tends to lose the leverage battle too often at the LOS. Doesn't always anchor. Could become Chris Jones, could become Joey Ivie.

I think if you put Brown in a one-gap system with lots of slants, stunts and requiring a quick get-off and high motor like Marinelli's system then he might not bust but he'd definitely underperform. Whereas I think all defensive co-ordinators would feel Kinlaw is a perfect fit for there scheme.

I actually think for a few teams (Patriots, Cowboys under Nolan etc) Brown should be the higher ranked player but there are some systems that Brown isn't suited too and he isn't a top 15 prospect in their system.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd agree but I do think the way Kinlaw wins translates better in the NFL. There are a lot of guards with the strength and footwork to marginalize Brown's power but I can't think of a guard that is going to be comfortable with Kinlaws speed, strength, size and reach combination.
Can't really agree w/ that. For the Kinlaw type, you need the Brown type to side him. That's why the chiefs drafted Nnadi w/ Chris Jones already on board, and then took another DT in Khalen Saunders.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think if you put Brown in a one-gap system with lots of slants, stunts and requiring a quick get-off and high motor like Marinelli's system then he might not bust but he'd definitely underperform. Whereas I think all defensive co-ordinators would feel Kinlaw is a perfect fit for there scheme.

I actually think for a few teams (Patriots, Cowboys under Nolan etc) Brown should be the higher ranked player but there are some systems that Brown isn't suited too and he isn't a top 15 prospect in their system.
True, but the bust potential is so much higher w/ Kinlaw.