Derrick Brown possibly being on the board at 17

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dlinemen drop all the time(remember Sharif Floyd) and you will be foolish to think such a bad combine wont drop him out of the top 10.

I'm not ready to go there but i've seen enough of these things to know what the NFL values and what they don't.

I think Kinlaw has a better chance then ever to go before him.. I thought Kinlaw should go before him in late January. It's March and I still feel that way.

I want players that effect the passing game in round 1.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Size needs to be factored in with Brown's workout. Among defensive linemen at the combine over the past two decades, his height (6-foot-5) and weight (324 pounds) placed in the 84th and 94th percentile, respectively.

However, all of his measured, on-field work was historically bad. His 8.22 3-cone placed in the third -- yes, third -- percentile among defensive tackles. His vertical? 22nd percentile at the position. His broad jump was a respectable but far from super-impressive 66th percentile. His short shuttle time of 4.79 -- 18th percentile. Ndamukong Suh -- a trendy comparison for the Auburn star -- was light-years more athletic than Brown when he tested at the combine in 2010.

And Brown's workout basically matches the film. While young -- still not 22 -- Brown wins with sheer force through blocks and tremendous block-shedding laterally to go along with stellar tackling reliability. He's the best run defender in the class, bar none. But, while that makes for fun highlights, it's simply not as valuable in the NFL in 2020 as it was even a decade ago.

What that leaves is a large, intimidating defensive tackle with easy-to-see strength and an advancing yet not loaded arsenal of pass-rushing moves with well below-average athleticism for the position. For as disruptive as Brown was during his illustrious career at Auburn, the odds are now firmly against him becoming a star (pass-rusher) in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...or-derrick-brown-and-other-notable-prospects/

That is what I see when I watch him. A run stuffer. A great run stuffer.. But still a run stuffer.
You also think dez is still dez of 2014. So your talent evaluation is kinda suspect at this point

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I hear your concern about value of the position. If he & a medically sound Kinlaw are both there, then i can understand giving the edge to Kinlaw.

However if it is him or WR, CB, S, I think he will be the higher rated player. So BPA (or equal BPA) at position of need is not bad drafting. I'm getting stouter up the middle because i know i can get the other positions later in the draft. What he did to SEC Olinemen was basically criminal.

I agree that we can & should address this area in FA. But even if i have gotten one in FA, don't know that i can pass on him. If he pushes the pocket and knocks balls down, he's contributing to the pass rush whether he gets the sack or not.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who won the Super Bowl?
KC, w/ one of the best DLines in the NFL, w/ prototypical Darrick Nnadi at teh nose.

Now, you're turn. Do you listen to the answer when you ask someone a question?

kskboys

Reaction score
The NFL is a track and field game now.
And yet, running Defensive team SF made the super bowl, and Running D team TENN made the championship game.

Seriously, your ideas are outdated.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hear your concern about value of the position. If he & a medically sound Kinlaw are both there, then i can understand giving the edge to Kinlaw.

However if it is him or WR, CB, S, I think he will be the higher rated player. So BPA (or equal BPA) at position of need is not bad drafting. I'm getting stouter up the middle because i know i can get the other positions later in the draft. What he did to SEC Olinemen was basically criminal.

I agree that we can & should address this area in FA. But even if i have gotten one in FA, don't know that i can pass on him. If he pushes the pocket and knocks balls down, he's contributing to the pass rush whether he gets the sack or not.

If we get Brown at 17 then i'm fine with it.

I just don't think it's as much of a difference making move as some on here think it will be.

If Kinlaw becomes elite at what he does best and Brown becomes elite at what he does best then give me Kinlaw all day.

What would be funny is if the Cowboys chose CJ Henderson over Brown..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And yet, running Defensive team SF made the super bowl, and Running D team TENN made the championship game.

Seriously, your ideas are outdated.

Nobody is claiming defense isn't important.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we get Brown at 17 then i'm fine with it.

I just don't think it's as much of a difference making move as some on here think it will be.

If Kinlaw becomes elite at what he does best and Brown becomes elite at what he does best then give me Kinlaw all day.

What would be funny is if the Cowboys chose CJ Henderson over Brown..
I could see Brown being a similar pro to Daron Payne. Maybe a little better, but I think they will be comparable

Im not a Henderson personally. But my evaluation of him has him lower than the common opinion amongst media and posters. Wouldnt shock me if the Cowboys have a higher grade on him them Brown

Jake0

Reaction score
KC, w/ one of the best DLines in the NFL, w/ prototypical Darrick Nnadi at teh nose.

Now, you're turn. Do you listen to the answer when you ask someone a question?

Derrick Nnadi was a 3rd rounder so that's what the entire debate is about. They did a good job on Derrick Henry. You can find prototypical run stuffing 1 techs in the 3rd in this draft too. Should you draft Brown or get someone like Henderson and get a DT in the 3rd round?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Derrick Nnadi was a 3rd rounder so that's what the entire debate is about. They did a good job on Derrick Henry. You can find prototypical run stuffing 1 techs in the 3rd in this draft too. Should you draft Brown or get someone like Henderson and get a DT in the 3rd round?
Idk what this is in response to, specifically. But Chiefs had the 5th-worst run defense in the NFL last year. Houston had DJ Reader and finished 27th. Baltimore had Pierce and finished 21st. Run stuffers don't matter.

You stop the run with scheme, that's it. Offenses prevent that from happening by throwing the football effectively.

Jake0

Reaction score
Idk what this is in response to, specifically. But Chiefs had the 5th-worst run defense in the NFL last year. Houston had DJ Reader and finished 27th. Baltimore had Pierce and finished 21st. Run stuffers don't matter.

You stop the run with scheme, that's it. Offenses prevent that from happening by throwing the football effectively.

True, coaching is most important here, but you still need capable guys as well. KC got their guys healthy and the D was playing lights out towards the end of the season and all throughout the playoffs.

Derrick Henry bulldozed them in the regular season but was held in check for the championship game. There's a lot of variables there, can't easily explain it with just Dline talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
True, coaching is most important here, but you still need capable guys as well. KC got their guys healthy and the D was playing lights out towards the end of the season and all throughout the playoffs.

Derrick Henry bulldozed them in the regular season but was held in check for the championship game. There's a lot of variables there, can't easily explain it with just Dline talent.

KC's defense was not that good.

When you score points like they do it masks a lot of things.