Derrick Henry in free agency?

exciter

Reaction score
I take it he's a free agent and heard rumors he wants to play in Dallas. Why not get him and draft a back. Let Pollard test free agency.
Lol, who in their right mind would be interested in a 30 yo FA RB… especially one with the injury concerns he’s had in recent years!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Obviously always never a certainty until a few years later but this draft is supposedly not deep with running backs. I agree there’s scheme issues that need to be addressed with whoever we have back there and roster wise but I don’t think the line is beyond repair.

Henry wouldn’t break the bank likely 4-5m per. Not screaming or demanding him but if they did it I’d be fine with it. He’s not cooked yet even though he’s not what he was and he’s at the age where he could fall off but with him/dowdle and either a rb from the draft I’d be happy with that trio.

I also think he’d help in the red zone big time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Lol, who in their right mind would be interested in a 30 yo FA RB… especially one with the injury concerns he’s had in recent years!

I mean he’s played 16 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back years of 16,17 games.

GMO415

Reaction score
After Pollard leaves and if he'll accept $8 mil a season, yeah sure.

Big_D

Reaction score
Winding down by nearly 1200 yards and 12 TDs on a porous Titans team with one of the worst OLs in the league?
Plus a rookie QB. That offense was terrible. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and still 4+ YPC. He would be a stud on an offense with a legit passing game. You can certainly fix the line and bring in Henry and even draft a RB. None of those things are mutually exclusive. But this rushing attack would be night and day from the garbage we’ve been watching for a few years now.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Whatevwe they do. They need a stud at running back
Niners are a prime example. Good line, excellent weapons and they still bring in McCaffrey. That RB is just as important as the scheme and the talent up front. There seems to be this notion that if they just fix the line then any combo of RBs will do the trick.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not for it because he is 30 and I know Jerry would pay too much.

We need the salary cap room. Just draft a RB and sign a vet for the min.

If we don't fix the OL coaching and scheme signing Henry would just be waste.
Would you go for say a $7M deal?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I take it he's a free agent and heard rumors he wants to play in Dallas. Why not get him and draft a back. Let Pollard test free agency.
Dak is going to kill the cap this season. Can’t extend him so they are just going to eat the sheet sandwich.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not sign him at all cost. But 100% pick up the phone, talk to his agent and him, see if you can get him for a good deal. Maybe with incentives. Maybe Henry and cooks, and the meanest badest center you can find.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s gonna get 7-8m per. He’s 30 years old I think he’s gonna be in the 6m per range.

Edit ; 7 per actually may be the sweet spot. Be surprised if it’s more than that with jacobs and Barkley and others on market

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Henry is old now for RBs and has a lot of wear and tear. Go find someone in the draft. RBs are a dime a dozen.

exciter

Reaction score
I mean he’s played 16 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons and back to back years of 16,17 games.
He missed 9 games 2 years ago. More importantly his ypc has steadily decreased. You take out that last game where Jacksonville completely collapsed his production was barely any better than Pollard’s. Everything points to a player in the rapid decline commonly seen with players at the position and age. Simply put, signing 30 yo RB to contracts amounting to much more than league minimum is just dumb!

Blackrain

Reaction score
We needed Derrick Henry this year before the trade deadline now we can draft a player say in the second round where we usually waste a pic on an injured player player with off field problems or a tight end we don't need

btcutter

Reaction score
Would you go for say a $7M deal?
The question is how many years in the deal. If it’s $7 million per year for 2 years I will jump all over that. Sign Pollard for cheap since there won’t be much of a demand. Draft another RB in 3-4. Round if one falls.