Derrick Henry in free agency?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Henry will be 30 which is ancient for an RB and has way too much mileage on him. He only averaged 4.2 a carry which is the lowest he’s had in years. He only had three 100 yard games all season. If he’s cheap, fine but otherwise no thanks! I would prefer a young back in the draft.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm not for it because he is 30 and I know Jerry would pay too much.

We need the salary cap room. Just draft a RB and sign a vet for the min.

If we don't fix the OL coaching and scheme signing Henry would just be waste.
I agree that the 1st problems to solve is the OL and coaching. With an effective OL the RB issue will be easier to solve. I think Pollard was running stronger as the season progressed, and they could draft a RB, but the OL is a must, and needs to be fixed 1st.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I take it he's a free agent and heard rumors he wants to play in Dallas. Why not get him and draft a back. Let Pollard test free agency.
Why, because of a thing called the salary cap and Jeruh likes his players.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He missed 9 games 2 years ago. More importantly his ypc has steadily decreased. You take out that last game where Jacksonville completely collapsed his production was barely any better than Pollard’s. Everything points to a player in the rapid decline commonly seen with players at the position and age. Simply put, signing 30 yo RB to contracts amounting to much more than league minimum is just dumb!

2 different arguments….if you’re argument is he’s 30 so don’t sign him, that’s a valid thought. You said injury history though and as I stated he’s been healthy 4 of the last 5 years- so that’s not accurate. Secondly, I’m not sure where you guys come up with this idea that you can “just take out that game” like it didn’t happen so it fits you’re argument lol. That game did happen and he was very good. There’s 17 games, you use the games they played and their stats to determine averages.

I’m not even advocating for his signing but “production barely better than pollard”……he had 4 games of 100 yards- 4x the amount of pollard, He finished 2nd in the entire league in total yards rushing behind only cmc, he had more first downs and I entirely trust him in the red zone over pollard.

Lastly, I agree I’m not paying top dollar for a 30 yr old rb but if it’s in the. 4-5m per range I’m taking a flyer. Every year people on this forum come here and tell us this guys “too old “ or “washed”, wagner was an all pro, deandre Hopkins was solid. Been plenty of others before them too.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Make it happen. If they paid Pollard 10 million, they can figure out a way to bring in Henry and be much better off.

Sydla

Reaction score
Depends on cost.

Spotrac estimated him at like 2 years, $8MM total. I might be able to live with that. Draft another TB later in the draft. Bring back Dowdle. That's a decent enough rotation.

Sydla

Reaction score
For all those saying just sign a vet minimum TB, that's Ronald Jones territory. What vet minimum TB do you have in mind?

I am staunchly anti-pay the TB big money but you still have to spend a little on the position. If you think a 4th or 5th round rookie, some vet minimum guy and Dowdle is good enough, well good luck with that.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I'm not putting my money on an aging RB, who was showing signs of aging, despite his yardage. Never. Give me a young cheap RB in the draft.
Usually when players show signs of aging, it shows up in their production. There’s just no evidence of that with Henry. Could he decline over the next few years? Sure, but to suggest he did that last year just isn’t true.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take it he's a free agent and heard rumors he wants to play in Dallas. Why not get him and draft a back. Let Pollard test free agency.
The salary demands would likely be a problem. If it weren't for that I would love to have both Henry & Pollard with Pollard getting about 12-14 touches per game, and Henry 16-18 touches per game.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Whatever just let Pollard walk.
I would consider bringing TP back at the right number.
I think he, and other backs, are in for a reality check this season as it relates to $.
Pollard at a cap hit of 4 or so would work for me.
And I'd still draft a RB and I love Allen from Wisconson, he's like Henry out of college.
I LOVE what the Lions have in Monte and Gibbs.
Power back and a scat type who is explosive.
Pollard needs to be used differently, he's not a 20 carry between the tackles back, but hi is a playmaker if you use him rght.

exciter

Reaction score
2 different arguments….if you’re argument is he’s 30 so don’t sign him, that’s a valid thought. You said injury history though and as I stated he’s been healthy 4 of the last 5 years- so that’s not accurate. Secondly, I’m not sure where you guys come up with this idea that you can “just take out that game” like it didn’t happen so it fits you’re argument lol. That game did happen and he was very good. There’s 17 games, you use the games they played and their stats to determine averages.

I’m not even advocating for his signing but “production barely better than pollard”……he had 4 games of 100 yards- 4x the amount of pollard, He finished 2nd in the entire league in total yards rushing behind only cmc, he had more first downs and I entirely trust him in the red zone over pollard.

Lastly, I agree I’m not paying top dollar for a 30 yr old rb but if it’s in the. 4-5m per range I’m taking a flyer. Every year people on this forum come here and tell us this guys “too old “ or “washed”, wagner was an all pro, deandre Hopkins was solid. Been plenty of others before them too.
He’s 30, it’s coming and when it does it will be rapid!