Derrick Henry

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Don't see dallas spending much on a rb. They'll most likely draft one later in the draft.

GINeric

Reaction score
your opinion is not truth
Every team has injuries every year; now that IS A FACT
Its how you deal with them that is the difference
its just another crutch; blaming injuries

1. Well it was said that Mahomes struggled and ran for his life in the Superbowl that they loss due to injuries on their offensive line.

2. The 49ers loss in the playoffs to the Eagles a couple of seasons ago and they said it was due to the injuries of their quarterbacks.

Are those facts, or are those crutches?

If injuries don't matter, why do teams wait until an injury happens to a starter to put in a backup or 2nd, 3rd string players? Why don't they just start 2nd or 3rd string players from the start of the season??

According to your logic, every player's skillset is so close, no team should miss a beat, no matter who gets hurt, correct?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think Derrick Henry still has something in the tank but I think he’s a ticking clock winding down and RBs over 30 can drop like a rock in ability. He’s going to cost too much IMO. Reminds me a little of the situation Dallas had years ago with Eddie George. A once great back who just stopped being effective because of use and age.
That's the name I was looking for.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
He had a rookie QB and zero weapons over there. Still double digit TDs. There’s not a single rookie coming in and giving you that right off the bat. The guy is on another planet and the only 30 year old RB you could gamble on.

And you can still draft a RB.
Right.....people here think a rookie RB is gonna come right in and perform at Pro bowl level from game one...get real. If there was already a vet RB on the team, it might be fine...but when you are forming an entirely new RB room, you need a vet RB that can come here and at least two years while you groom the rookie RB. And if the rookie shocks everyone and performs great then you have a great tandem for the long season. I think Henry is smart enough to know what is happening to 30 year old RB contracts, so you may get him for less than TP got last year. Maybe add performance incentives as well. But he definitely has a good 2-3 years left in him.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Draft a new center and offensive tackle, sign Henry to a 2 year deal ,14 million guaranteed. Draft Bralon Allen rb Wisconsin in the 3rd round ,and all the sudden Dallas has a running game.
This is exactly it first and foremost we need a legitimate center we have never recovered from the loss of Travis Frederick and if we don't sign another tackle mark my words this offensive line is going to let us down in a big way we need plug and Play center and tackle in the first two rounds.

Try to get Henry on a 2-year deal at less than what Tony Pollard was making. And draft a young buck in the third.

Meantime find a legitimate run stopping defensive tackle in free agency .
Get it done Jerry all in is all in open your wallet and do it

Big_D

Reaction score
Right.....people here think a rookie RB is gonna come right in and perform at Pro bowl level from game one...get real. If there was already a vet RB on the team, it might be fine...but when you are forming an entirely new RB room, you need a vet RB that can come here and at least two years while you groom the rookie RB. And if the rookie shocks everyone and performs great then you have a great tandem for the long season. I think Henry is smart enough to know what is happening to 30 year old RB contracts, so you may get him for less than TP got last year. Maybe add performance incentives as well. But he definitely has a good 2-3 years left in him.
It would be nice if they can find a rookie capable of double digit tds right off the bat but it’s not happening here. Just “fix the line” and any RB.will do the trick.That’s the newest theme in 2024. We can just stick it out with Rico Dowdle if that’s the case. Him, Vaughn and Luepke. The team can save all their cap money!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Jerry has you guys so well trained. Getting excited about some big name washed up has been. How about we draft the next beast instead of paying good money for the old one.

Jarntt

Reaction score
How much does he want? I suspect he'd be good in a rotation with another back, but he isn't carrying the load every game at this point. If he is looking for a one year, reasonable deal, sure...

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry has you guys so well trained. Getting excited about some big name washed up has been. How about we draft the next beast instead of paying good money for the old one.
More tds than all Cowboys RBs combined last season is considered “washed up”? And the Cowboys paid more for that than what Henry would cost. lol it’s not a stretch to say he’ll do that again this year. All the fans out there still concerned with this teams cap figures and saving a few bucks for the future are truly well trained and really doing a great job! I’m sure Jerry appreciates it.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I will say that what they decide will be very interesting. Barkley and Jacobs will cost more than Henry. Will the Cowboys be interested in any of them? or any other high to mid FA? Will they just wait until the draft and then decide to go dumpster diving to find a vet afterwards? You just don't know with this team.
Seriously. Our track record isn’t well with free agents as of late but let’s see if Jimmy has more influence with Jerry and making some significant moves.

Big_D

Reaction score
Seriously. Our track record isn’t well with free agents as of late but let’s see if Jimmy has more influence with Jerry and making some significant moves.

I'm hoping Jimmy gave some quality advice but I'm not banking on that with Jerry and Stephen. The stubbornness here is very strong. Jerry would probably listen to what Jimmy had to say and then do the opposite on principle.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think Derrick Henry still has something in the tank but I think he’s a ticking clock winding down and RBs over 30 can drop like a rock in ability. He’s going to cost too much IMO. Reminds me a little of the situation Dallas had years ago with Eddie George. A once great back who just stopped being effective because of use and age.

At that time
1. The Cowboys were terrible
2. George was a year older at 31
3. he had 5 TDs the year before.
4. Henry is a beast who keeps himself in amazing shape. He's probably in the best shape among the position.
5. I could see him playing til 34/35. And there were a few great RBs who did the same thing.
6. And most importantly this doesn't stop them from drafting a RB.

IMO I could still see a year or 2 of much better production than they've been getting the past few years.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At that time
1. The Cowboys were terrible
2. George was a year older at 31
3. he had 5 TDs the year before.
4. Henry is a beast who keeps himself in amazing shape. He's probably in the best shape among the position.
5. I could see him playing til 34/35. And there were a few great RBs who did the same thing.
6. And most importantly this doesn't stop them from drafting a RB.

IMO I could still see a year or 2 of better production than they've been getting the past few years.
As I said, I still think DH has something left in the tank. At 30 the question becomes, how long before his decline is obvious? Some RBs can hold up past 30 and do well, just not that many.

Henry does keep himself in great shape and he is a beast for sure. But that alone does not mean he’s got two good years left and would be worth a sizeable contract. The risks are there. I’m not totally against him coming here, but I would be very cautious about committing more than a year.