Derrick Johnson bashers

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
silverbear said:
73 unassisted tackles, 57 assists... that sounds like somewhat less than half of his tackles...

And a fairly high percentage of Merriman's tackles were assists, too-- 125 unassisted tackles for his career, 64 assisted... so DJ averaged 56 per cent unassisted tackles, while Merriman averaged about 65 per cent unassisted tackles... for that matter, just about EVERYBODY'S tackle total includes a high percentage of assists...

Now you're just spewing garbage because you're pissed off... let's remember, YOU were the one who said that Antrel Rolle made more BIG PLAYS than Derrick Johnson... given that, it is completely legitimate to note that DJ actually had as many ints as your stud "cover corner" did...

This is not to denigrate Rolle's skills, but rather a rebuttal to a specious, specific assertion YOU made about both players' big play abilities... I'd rebut that assertion at greater length, but for some reason Miami doesn't put defensive stats up on their website the way most college teams do, so I just can't seem to find the appropriate numbers... however, you are welcome to document just how many "big plays" Rolle made last year; as for DJ, I count 19 tackles for loss, 9 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 2 sacks and 1 interception... that's 32 "big plays", in 12 games...

You should know that I consider you to be a good, knowledgeable football fan about 99 per cent of the time, but some of the observations you've made in the course of your critique of Derrick Johnson just don't square with the facts... this suggests that you're allowing you bias to overrule your judgement...

First off my post was directed at someone else so you are wading in flapping gums without the past posts.

If you also want to express your man crush on DJ and argue over his god-like status we can certianly do so but lets get a few things straight.

1. I dont hate UT. Not even close. I do not have an anti UT bias. If I have a bias it would in fact sway in FAVOR of UT. I am a very proud Texan and that school represents the entire state.
2. DJ is CLEARLY a finesse player, which goes against what BP has stated he wants to build on this defense.
3. I have already stated DJ is a good player and is worth a mid 1st round pick.
4. Rolle was used as a blitzer and made game changing plays against FSU, and NCState. He also blocked at least 2 kicks and returned a couple of punts. Miami moved him wherever they thought the ball might go.They allowed him to attack off the corner and he sacked the FSU QB more than DJ had sacks for his entire season. They didnt even run to Rolle's side.
5. Merriman has pure pass rush skills I like. He is a better fit IMHO than DJ. He is also 272 pounds so he is not going to cover guys like DJ or chase sideline to sideline. If you see flaws in Merriman's game I am not going to start crying like UT fans over DJ.

Now as to your points.
I did not say most players do not have solo tackles and assist numbers pretty much equal. I stated DJ's total was inflated because they are counting them 1 and 1 when every reputable stat service counts tackles as 1 for solo and .5 for an assist. Your count(which is put out by UT) added correctly reduces his total to 95 or so from 130.

I have already allowed that DJ makes big plays. He did not make more than Rolle but he does make big plays.

But we have the guys clips to watch as well as a career to dissect and the guy simply did not show me a physical enough presence to fit on a BP or Belichek defense. UT has a repuatation right now as soft generally because they move safeties to lb and lb to the d-line. They sacrifice size and toughness for speed a lot it seems.

If you disagree with my scouting report of DJ then lets start back at that point because that is where this nonsense all began. Your running off at the mouth about UT haters is flatly ignorant. I am not knocking Benson, argued heavily in favor of Jammer over RW, loved Casey Hampton and many other Horns. And I like DJ as a player but not for us at 11.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
jterrell said:
First off my post was directed at someone else so you are wading in flapping gums without the past posts.

You are aware of how a message board works, right??

If you want an A-B conversation, you'd best take it to PM, because when you put it out on the board, you're fair game for ANYBODY who wants to chip in...

If you also want to express your man crush on DJ and argue over his god-like status we can certianly do so but lets get a few things straight.

Most of the time, I'd really enjoy debating DJ's abilities with folks, but I don't think I care to continue with you... why not, you ask??

Well, you get REAL defensive when anybody disagrees with you... look back in our dialogue, hoss, and show me where I got as insulting as you just did in that last sentence...

As always, when one goes to ad hominem, it's a pretty sure sign he realizes he's lost the argument...

But hey, if you ever feel like debating this thing as a FOOTBALL FAN, rather than a flame warrior, feel free to get back to me...

I did not say most players do not have solo tackles and assist numbers pretty much equal. I stated DJ's total was inflated because they are counting them 1 and 1 when every reputable stat service counts tackles as 1 for solo and .5 for an assist. Your count(which is put out by UT) added correctly reduces his total to 95 or so from 130.

Well, OK, just ONE little piece of rebuttal... look up Merriman's stats on the UM website, and you'll quickly learn they do as UT does-- they count up the unassisted tackles, then the assisted tackles, then add them together to get the total tackles...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
jterrell said:
If you disagree with my scouting report of DJ then lets start back at that point because that is where this nonsense all began. Your running off at the mouth about UT haters is flatly ignorant.

Kindly point me to where I called YOU a Horns Hater... I have made that observations about some others, but it was a generic observation, and made in FUN... it just ain't my fault if you lack a sense of humor...

The closest I came to calling you a Horns Hater was at the end of one of my later posts in this thread, in which I said that you were allowing your BIAS to overrule your good judgement... and rather than being insulting, I prefaced that by telling you that most of the time, I have immense respect for your football knowledge...

I'm sorry if me pointing out your BIAS gets you all defensive and hostile, but when one exaggerates points ("half of his tackles were assists", and other such observations) in order to press an argument, that is indeed a clear indication that one is biased...

I'll treat you with respect, so long as you reciprocate... and if you're not capable of doing so, then let's just agree to disagree, and go our merry ways... I mean, I'd just LOVE to swap insults with you, it's not in my basic nature to meekly absorb gratuitous abuse from jerks, but they seem to frown on that on this board, and I'm trying to follow the rules of the house...

In an attempt to offer some constructive criticism, you appear to be the kind of guy who gets all bent out of shape whenever somebody DARES to disagree with you... you take it much too personally... I'd never seen that side of you before...

Make your arguments, or make your rebuttals, based on the FACTS... I did not attack you, so why are you attacking me??

And you're a MODERATOR, for God's sake...