Derrick Johnson highlight video

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Cute nickname . . .

You always resort to namecallling when people share a different opinion than you?
It's called a joke. Do you always get so sensitive when somebody makes one?
yet you could only come up with 11 names,
Actually I can come up with at least 28, all of whom have been to at least one Pro Bowl.
some who were very questionable, of players you considered to be NFL studs . . .
I keep harping on this but if you've made at least one Pro Bowl in your life that means you've had at least one great season. Add that to the fact that every player I listed had at least relatively long careers and I really don't see how you could label any of those a bust.
and one was a rookie at that.
Once again, I threw Roy's name out there only because he is one of the Top Candidates for Rookie of the Year and a WR that any team in the League would love to have. Not a bust.
And you had to get into the way-back machine with some of those names.
So we're putting a time limit on things now? That's interesting because, to reiterate, you said:
He's just going to be like every other UT "stud" and bust in the NFL . . .
So I assumed I could stretch things out a little bit, to as soon as Texas started putting players in the NFL.
How many players does UT put into the draft each year?
From when? Give me a starting year and I'll pull up an average.

And you could only come up with 11 names from 30+ years of drafting?
Nope, as I mentioned above, at least 28 (I'll post them if you really want me to).

But yeah . . . that punt returner. He was awesome.
Just because you don't care about a guy who played 13 Seasons, made 3 Pro Bowls, and holds a serious NFL Record doesn't mean he shouldn't/isn't respected along the same lines as Earl and Priest.

Nevermind that he didn't accomplish anything as a receiver.
Who gives a ****? The fact that he was one of the greatest players of All Time at only one position, we should reprimand him for it?

When he was taking 13th overall . . . it was because they were drooling over his punt return capabilities.
When he was drafted he was drafted as a RB. There were 3 other RBs taken ahead of him. Barry Sanders (that turned out pretty good), Tim Worley, and Sammie Smith. Those last 2 guys were out of the League by '94. Do you think that Miami or Pittsburgh would have taken Metcalf over either of those 2 guys knowing what they do now?

BTW, since you're so obsessed with Metcalf and his receiving capabilities, in 1995 Metcalf caught 104 passes (good enough for 7th in the League) for 1189 yards and 8 TDs. The only WR on the entire Cowboys roster who could match that would be Key's 2001 season and he had 7 fewer TDs. He also had at least 8 seasons of 40 catches or more. Granted, those aren't fantastic numbers but they're consistent. A consistent Receiving game to go along with one of the greatest Special Teams careers in League History? Sounds like a good player to me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't think Texas' players are busts waiting to happen, but they sure aren't "The U" either.

I was very skeptical of Derrick Johnson at first. He was a great athlete, but not a great LB. Now, he's playing like a great LB, as well as using his athleticism.

I don't believe in not drafting a player just because of what school he goes to. If he looks to be a great player then I want to draft him. I don't care what school he goes to. Hell, people were knocking Terrell Suggs cuz of the past failures at DE they had that were drafted, but I wanted us to draft him anway. It was obvious he was no Shante Carver. And he's proven me right the past year and a half. I like Newman, but I would of loved to have Suggs too. Although I'm sure Zimmer would of found a way to ruin him.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck . . .

UT players 90% of the time are BUSTS.

You've listed 11 players out of 30+ years of drafting . . .

If you can name 28 . . . that's super for you.

That is still a very small percentage of players that actually play in the NFL from UT.

Seriously bro . . . I didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled.

Take a deep breath and count to ten . . .

It'll be alright.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Rack said:
I don't think Texas' players are busts waiting to happen, but they sure aren't "The U" either.
Yeah but who is? Miami is a freaking NFL Factory.

I don't believe in not drafting a player just because of what school he goes to. If he looks to be a great player then I want to draft him. I don't care what school he goes to. Hell, people were knocking Terrell Suggs cuz of the past failures at DE they had that were drafted, but I wanted us to draft him anway. It was obvious he was no Shante Carver. And he's proven me right the past year and a half. I like Newman, but I would of loved to have Suggs too. Although I'm sure Zimmer would of found a way to ruin him.
There's a man who knows what he is talkking about.

UT players 90% of the time are BUSTS.
Okay, so first you say "every" indicating 100%, then you say 99%, and now you're saying 90%. Damn, you're backpeddaling faster than Deion ever could.

You've listed 11 players out of 30+ years of drafting . . .

If you can name 28 . . . that's super for you.
Not super, just facts.

That is still a very small percentage of players that actually play in the NFL from UT.
Care to name me some schools other than Miami or Tennessee that have had a better percentage? There are some out there but it is a real short list and I'd guarantee you that UT was in the Top 10.

Seriously bro . . . I didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled.

Take a deep breath and count to ten . . .

It'll be alright.
Dude, I never take these thing too seriously. No matter what the topic, these are still discussions over a Message Board with people you'll probably never meet. I was just pointing out the flaws in your statement that:
He's just going to be like every other UT "stud" and bust in the NFL . . .
and by your rapidly dropping percentages on the matter I'd say that I've gotten it across quite well.

nice research and response roughneck.
Thanks. I'm certainly no AdamJT13 but I do what I can.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Can we not draft players from Florida State because of Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds, Reinard Wilson, Peter Warrick, Tommey Polley, Ron Dugans, Derrick Gibson, Marvin Minnis, Travis Minor, Chris Wienke, Casey Weldon, Tony Bryant, Larry Smith and Clay Shiver.

Of course ... we'd have to pass up on Derrick Brooks, Deion Sanders, Peter Boulware, Lav Coles, on and on and on.

The whole idea of not picking players based on what other players from their University did is about as scientific way to look at things as a blindfolded monkey randomly throwing darts at a board.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck . . .

Texas players are not good NFL players . . .

Deal with it . . .

Roughneck

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Roughneck . . .

Texas players are not good NFL players . . .

Deal with it . . .
Having basically had everyone of your ideas crushed, you must now resort to a mindless, generalized statement which has been proven incorrect over and over and over again on this thread?

What a pitiful, non-logistic way to finish an argument.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Having basically had everyone of your ideas crushed, you must now resort to a mindless, generalized statement which has been proven incorrect over and over and over again on this thread?

What a pitiful, non-logistic way to finish an argument.

You didn't "crush" any of my "ideas".

I'm of the opinion that the majority of UT players that enter the NFL don't amount to jack crap.

You gave me 11 names (most questionable at that) defending your obvious blind loyalty to your favorite college team. Oh . . . and I can't forget the threat to name 28 "if I really wanted you to".

So 28 names (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, despite your obvious reaches in the initial 11 you listed) in 56+ years of drafting.

Thats impressive.

Wait . . . no it isn't.

That basically proves my point.

Do you realize there have been almost 100 players taken from the University of Texas since 1982?

But you could only come up with "28" players going all the way back to the 1948 draft with Bobby Layne.

Well . . . unfortunately for you . . . there have been 283 total players selected from the University of Texas in the history of the draft.

~scratches head~

~breaks out calculator~

~scribbles on scratch paper~

~consults with mathematical wiz Stephen Hawkins~

It would appear that just slightly over 90% of players from the University of Texas amount to nothing more than a steaming pile of dung.

And thats being generous . . . assuming some of the phantom 17 you've been so gracious not to list weren't all world special teamers or made a Pro Bowl appearance in a two decade career!!!!!

So Roughy . . . was I off when I said "every" UT stud was a bust? Sure . . . but that was a general statement that I didn't really expect anyone to take literally.

So yeah . . . I was wrong about that. It appears only 90% of those players are garbage.

Now . . . you'll have to excuse me for not particularly liking those odds.

No thank you.

I'll pass.

I think Florida quarterbacks and Penn State runningbacks almost have better odds . . .

Your college team sucks at developing NFL talent.

But don't fret over that.

Concentrate on trying to stay competitive with Okalahoma first . . .

Roughneck

Reaction score
Alright, I was hoping it wouldn't end in such a fashion. The post you made was pretty good but still quite a few holes never the less. Let me point them out to you.
Midswat said:
You didn't "crush" any of my "ideas".

I'm of the opinion that the majority of UT players that enter the NFL don't amount to jack crap.
What, no percentages? Has the number dropped so far that you can only give out a "majority" now?

You gave me 11 names (most questionable at that)
None questionable, all Pro Bowlers.
defending your obvious blind loyalty to your favorite college team.
I am loyal to Texas but every single stat I've handed out was truthful and would still be even if I was a fan of another school.
Oh . . . and I can't forget the threat to name 28 "if I really wanted you to".
Well since you want me to, here are the names (in alphabetical order):

Bertelsen, Jim
Brackens, Tony
Bradley, Bill
Brooks, Leo
Campbell, Earl
Clayborn, Raymond
Dillon, Bobby
English, Doug
Gray, Jerry
Hampton, Casey
Holmes, Priest
Hughes, Bill
Koy, Ernie
Lammons, Pete
Landry, Tom
Lansford, Buck
Layne, Bobby
Massey, Carlton
McFadin, Bud
McMichael, Steve
Metcalf, Eric
Nobis, Tommy
Sauer, George
Sewell, Harley
Sisemore, Jerry
Talbert, Diron
Tubbs, Winfred
Williams, Ricky

So 28 names (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, despite your obvious reaches in the initial 11 you listed) in 56+ years of drafting.

Thats impressive.

Wait . . . no it isn't.
Show me a list of schools that have that many Pro Bowlers in their Program's History? If Texas isn't in the Top 10, I'll stop my argument right now.

Well . . . unfortunately for you . . . there have been 283 total players selected from the University of Texas in the history of the draft.

~scratches head~

~breaks out calculator~

~scribbles on scratch paper~

~consults with mathematical wiz Stephen Hawkins~

It would appear that just slightly over 90% of players from the University of Texas amount to nothing more than a steaming pile of dung.
First things first, I'd like to see the percentages of other schools (how many drafted, how many pro bowlers, what's their average career span) but I realize that's probably too big of a task but, as I've mentioned before, I doubt there are many schools that have produced better than what has come from the 40.

Secondly, just because a player isn't a household name doesn't mean he was a bust. Most of that 283 were taken in the late rounds and weren't expected to be great (if they were, they'd have been drafted higher). If even 20% of those players lasted in the League for over 5 years, that is a major accomplishment, considering where they were drafted, and none of them could be a considered a bust. So to say that "over 90% of players from the University of Texas amount to nothing more than a steaming pile of dung" is a bit skewed considering that most of them weren't even expected to live up to the standards of dung.

And thats being generous . . . assuming some of the phantom 17 you've been so gracious not to list weren't all world special teamers or made a Pro Bowl appearance in a two decade career!!!!!
This again? Already shot it down, see page 1.

So Roughy . . . was I off when I said "every" UT stud was a bust? Sure . . . but that was a general statement that I didn't really expect anyone to take literally.
Dude, this is a message board. We can't see your facial expressions on our screen or hear your tone of voice through our speakers. If you type something out and it doesn't have a smilie or even the slightest tinge of sarcasm in it (yours didn't), it's going to get taken literally. Don't type it if you don't mean it.

So yeah . . . I was wrong about that. It appears only 90% of those players are garbage.
Once again, what you equate as garbage, I see as dozens of players who had long careers in the League, several of whom made it to Pro Bowls and made a good living in a Profession that spits players out all too quickly.

Now . . . you'll have to excuse me for not particularly liking those odds.

No thank you.

I'll pass.

I think Florida quarterbacks and Penn State runningbacks almost have better odds . . .
Good you go ahead and do that but, oh wait, you don't have a job with the Cowboys organization do you? So if Dallas happens to pick up DJ next year in the Draft, what are you gonna do? Will you protest?

Your college team sucks at developing NFL talent.
The current Coaching Staff sucks at developing College Talent let alone NFL Talent. Overall, they've done a pretty good job by my numbers.

But don't fret over that.

Concentrate on trying to stay competitive with Okalahoma first . . .
Not my job bra, that responsibility falls on Mack's shoulders and once OU beats Texas again next season, hopefully Texas can hire a Coach that can win even one freaking Conference Championship.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Seriously Roughy . . .

the University of Texas is a big time program with a rich tradition . . .

A University that has put 283 players into the NFL via the draft . . .

Yet you could only muster 28 names of quality players . . .

Not all of which were drafted, mind you. I shudder to think how many undrafted players from UT have also made it into the draft.

So again . . . were looking at, at best, a 90% failure rate for Texas players.

I don't like the odds.

I say we avoid Rod Wright and Derrick Johnson like fat girls at a school dance.

They more than likely will bust.

You have your opinion.

I have mine.

The facts just happen to back me up.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I shudder to think how many undrafted players from UT have also made it into the draft.

I'm gonna have to go with Zero.

The facts just happen to back me up.

lol, not really.

Plus, weren't you all for drafting Terrell Suggs? What is the history of ASU DE's in the NFL?

Not good.

Past history doesn't matter. If the player is a great player, then he's a great player.

Part of the reason I REALLY liked Suggs was that he played great in every one of his college seasons. I'm skeptical about guys that have ONE good year.

Derrick Johnson has played great in every one of his college seasons. That's why I like him. And he's having his best season yet this year.

You may not like TU for whatever reasons, but Derrick Johnson is a great LB, and he'll be a great pro LB. Hopefully with the Dallas Cowboys.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm gonna have to go with Zero..

Ooops . . . I mispoke . . . But I'm sure everyone knows what I meant.

Rack said:
Plus, weren't you all for drafting Terrell Suggs? What is the history of ASU DE's in the NFL?

Not good.

Past history doesn't matter. If the player is a great player, then he's a great player.

F*** no. I didn't like Suggs . . . and I don't like him to this day. If we wanted him to come here and play linebacker, then thats one thing. But he'd make a horrible DE in a conventional 4-3.

Nope . . . I was all out Leftwhich that draft. I wasn't happy about Newman, but he changed my mind his rookie year, but stinks this year.

Rack said:
Part of the reason I REALLY liked Suggs was that he played great in every one of his college seasons. I'm skeptical about guys that have ONE good year.

Derrick Johnson has played great in every one of his college seasons. That's why I like him. And he's having his best season yet this year.

You may not like TU for whatever reasons, but Derrick Johnson is a great LB, and he'll be a great pro LB. Hopefully with the Dallas Cowboys.

I view players the same way . . . especially QB's.

I believe that if a player is worth his salt, you're going to hear about him before his senior year. I'm always wary of one-year wonders.

And Derick Johnson is a talented player.

But history shows that while UT has generated talented college players, they haven't carried over to the NFL.

And I'll re-itterate that I have nothing against the Univ of Texas.

They are alright in my book. One of the 3 schools I root for (Tennessee being first, and Boston College)

But I'm not letting my fandom for the school blind my judgement.

I realize this isn't a popular argument on a Dallas Cowboys board. But the numbers show what I've been saying.

Keep being homers if you want.

I don't care.

Bottom line is we aren't going to draft DJ. And that will be good, because he will bust.

We might draft Rod . . . and he will bust as well.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
But I'm not letting my fandom for the school blind my judgement.

Just for the record, I'm not a TU fan either. I'm a Notre Dame fan. And I'll be rooting for A&M against TU this year. :D

Keep being homers if you want.

How is wanting one of the most dominant college football players to become a member of the Dallas Cowboys being a homer?

You know what's being a homer? Calling someone a Homer cuz they disagree with you. :)

Bottom line is we aren't going to draft DJ. And that will be good, because he will bust.

How do you know we won't draft him?

How do you know he'll bust? Is going by a school's past level of success in the NFL all you've got to go by? C'mon, Midswat, you're smarter then that. He may bust, but what school he went to will have nothing to do with it.

I agree with you about Rod though. I don't see what all the hype is about. He's nothing special IMO.

But DJ is a beast. Has been since his freshman year.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
You know what's being a homer? Calling someone a Homer cuz they disagree with you. :)

But . . . but . . . but he called me Nostradumass!!!! :mad:

Rack said:
How do you know we won't draft him?

How do you know he'll bust? Is going by a school's past level of success in the NFL all you've got to go by? C'mon, Midswat, you're smarter then that. He may bust, but what school he went to will have nothing to do with it.

Actually I don't know. Its just a hunch. But then again . . . I was adament we wouldn't draft Roy Williams until about 2 weeks before the draft.

Whats that? The player I wanted prior to that? Why . . . Quentin Jammer, CB from Texas.

But thats not really the point.

The point is I was busting Cowpokes chops when Roughy got his feathers ruffled up . . . so I figured I'd argue with him a little.

Truth be told . . . I haven't watched a single UT game this year, save for 20 minutes of the UT/OK game.

And I don't fancy myself as a draft guru or player scout like so many others do.

So I really have no opinion of DJ whatsoever . . . although I will say I wasn't terribly impressed with that highlight video.

And I've stated a pretty good case against drafting UT players . . .

But that was only because ol'Roughy brought out the worst in me. ;)

I agree with you about Rod though. I don't see what all the hype is about. He's nothing special IMO.

But DJ is a beast. Has been since his freshman year.[/QUOTE]

Roughneck

Reaction score
Damn, Rack did a pretty good job in my short absence.
Midswat said:
But . . . but . . . but he called me Nostradumass!!!! :mad:
:D

The point is I was busting Cowpokes chops when Roughy got his feathers ruffled up . . . so I figured I'd argue with him a little.
Hey, it was all in good fun. The Draft Board needed to be broken in anyways before the offseason rolls around and this Board starts to see some serious traffic.

Truth be told . . . I haven't watched a single UT game this year, save for 20 minutes of the UT/OK game.
Ah, so we're playing the ignorance card?

So be it, but you're missing out on seeing the Best Defensive College Player since RW was a Senior. What he's doing on a game-by-game basis is really frightening.

And I've stated a pretty good case against drafting UT players . . .
Says you.

I think you've made a pretty good case that most players that come out of Texas will not be NFL Stars. Guess what? You can make the same case for any College Football Program in the Nation.

But that was only because ol'Roughy brought out the worst in me. ;)
Oh, you know you liked it.

:D

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Hey . . . I'm all for bringing in dynamic game changers.

I just don't think that linebacker is a huge need for us.

And wouldn't he relpace Brady James?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
But . . . but . . . but he called me Nostradumass!!!!

You gotta admit that was pretty funny.

Actually I don't know. Its just a hunch. But then again . . . I was adament we wouldn't draft Roy Williams until about 2 weeks before the draft.

Yeah I gotta admit I don't think we'll draft him either. I'm just hopeful. He would replace Brady, but we could always move Brady to SLB.

Hey . . . I'm all for bringing in dynamic game changers.

I just don't think that linebacker is a huge need for us.

We didn't need Roy when we drafted him either. But Coakley is likely gone after next season, and I think Singleton only signed a 3 year contract so he's only here one more year. So actually LB is a need. But I don't want us to draft for need either way. I want us to draft the best player available. If Derrick Johnson is on the board when we pick, he'll likely be the BPA.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I went to A&M and now live in Austin. I have watched many of DJ's games over the last 4 years. He is the real deal. He was a playmaker since he arrived on campus. Every university has guys that are highly touted and do not pan out. Over the last 10 years, you could see which guys that UT had on the team that were going to be questionable at the next level. There were but a handful that I thought would be very good once they were in the NFL.

Ricky Williams was one of them. He is a dominant running back that poses problems for defenses. Now he is a basket case off the field, but when he is running he is good.

Roy Williams had that look about him and so far is producing.

Derrick Johnson is a legitimate 1st rounder. Don't know about top ten. He can play any of the LB positions in the Cowboys scheme, but is best suited for WLB. He just makes plays. You don't need a highlight video. Watch the games and he will make plays, hustle on every play and just show great instincts.

The rest of the guys over the last 10 years came with question marks, but what player really doesn't have question marks.

Rod Wright? I don't see the infatuation with him. He is a decent player, but I would not say dominant. He has not had a great season and has missed a couple of games. He can still improve and I don't see him leaving UT early, so he shouldn't be an issue for the Cowboys in this draft.

Cedric Benson looks like he will be a decent back. I don't know if he will be a great back, but he will be solid. I like him better than Eddie George or Richie Anderson. :D Is he worth a 1st rounder? Maybe not. One of those questionable guys.

When Priest Holmes came out he had lots of question marks because of his injuries and playing time. He hardly played his senior season because of Ricky Williams. I always liked his running style and thought he would be a good one to pick up and be Emmitt's back up. What he has accomplished is amazing and beyond expectations. No one could have predicted it.

Reaction score
Midswat said:
UT players rarely make the impact expected of them.

Heck . . . UT is a big time program who has a rich tradition . . . yet you could only come up with 11 names, some who were very questionable, of players you considered to be NFL studs . . . and one was a rookie at that. And you had to get into the way-back machine with some of those names.

How many players does UT put into the draft each year?

And you could only come up with 11 names from 30+ years of drafting?

When it comes to Texas and the NFL, the numbers speak for themselves

271- Texas has had 271 players drafted by the NFL.

66- Texas has had a player selected in an NFL-record 66 consecutive drafts.

33- Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.

32- Number of Longhorns chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.

27- The Longhorns have had 27 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 67 appearances.

24- There are currently 24 former Longhorns active in the NFL.

6- Six different former Texas stars have played in four of the last five Super Bowls.

4- Former Longhorns have been members of four of the last six Super Bowl
Champion squads.

3- Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.