Derrick Johnson highlight video

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
When it comes to Texas and the NFL, the numbers speak for themselves

271- Texas has had 271 players drafted by the NFL.

66- Texas has had a player selected in an NFL-record 66 consecutive drafts.

33- Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.

32- Number of Longhorns chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.

27- The Longhorns have had 27 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 67 appearances.

24- There are currently 24 former Longhorns active in the NFL.

6- Six different former Texas stars have played in four of the last five Super Bowls.

4- Former Longhorns have been members of four of the last six Super Bowl
Champion squads.

3- Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

The real UT (University of Tennessee) has more . . .

Reaction score
Midswat said:
The real UT (University of Tennessee) has more . . .

Show me.

BTW, just the fact that you had to ask "who" Tommy Nobis and Bobby Layne were, discounted ANY further "opinions" by you to nothing more than mindless ramblings. :p

UT also produced one of the greatest FB minds in NFL history (besides me that is), there's a statue of him in front of Tx Stadium.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm gonna have to go with Zero.

what... no love for Priest? ;)

homegif3.gif

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
trickblue said:
what... no love for Priest? ;)

homegif3.gif

HE asked how many undrafted former texas players ended up in the draft.

That number is Zero.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
UT also produced one of the greatest FB minds in NFL history (besides me that is), there's a statue of him in front of Tx Stadium.

I've been to Texas Stadium and I haven't seen any great full back minds.

:D

trickblue

Reaction score
Rack said:
HE asked how many undrafted former texas players ended up in the draft.

That number is Zero.

I misread it too... :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I misread it too... :rolleyes:

Yeah I knew what he meant to type, but I just replied with the "Zero" just to mess around.

I'm sure there's a lot of undrafted Longhorns in the NFL. There's one on our roster.

trickblue

Reaction score
Rack said:
Yeah I knew what he meant to type, but I just replied with the "Zero" just to mess around.

I'm sure there's a lot of undrafted Longhorns in the NFL. There's one on our roster.

yep... and he looks like a keeper...

I clown around too... I just missed that... I'm getting old in my old age...

trickblue

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
If you're referring to D Johnson, he's a bit undersized for that.

He is right now... he may start at LB and eventually move to DE as he bulks up...

Charles Haley and Tony Tolbert did the same thing...

Unfortunately... Charles Haley CONTINUES to bulk up... :eek:

Charles_Haley_Photo.jpg

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
If you're referring to D Johnson, he's a bit undersized for that.

wasnt Leonard Little a LB at Tennessee? and Little is smaller then Johnson and looks like he is better and stronger then Little

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I wouldn't want him at LB. I wouldn't mind him moving to DE on 3rd and longs, but he's an exceptional LB. I'd want to keep him there.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Midswat said:
Yeah . . .

And Ken Simms, Mossy Cade, Mike Ruether, Stanly Richard, Stan Thomas, Blake Brokenmeyer, Bryant Westbrook, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Quintin Jammer, Bruch Sholtz, Terry Tausch, Lawrence Sampleton, Ed Williams, Doug Dawson, James Patton, Van Malone, and Derrick Dockery, just to name a few, think UT is a bust factory . . .

:rolleyes:
Anybody want to wear out their keyboard listing all the OU busts?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Midswat said:
I don't wish to backtrack anything.

About 99% of Longhorn "studs" don't pan out . . .

And the ones you listed:

Earl Campbell was injury prone.
Jerry Gray . . . who?
Casey Hampton? Yeah, he plays in the NFL now. He's decent.
Priest Holmes? One of the one percent.
Bobby Layne? Vaguely rings a bell.
Steve McMichael? Average player on a great great Bears defense.
Eric Metcalf? Drafted as a wide receiver. Horrible wide receiver. Could only return punts. You can find 7th rounders to return punts.
Tommy Nobis? Who?
Jerry Sisemore? Yeah . . . he was great on Saving Private Ryan.
Ricky Williams? You really shouldn't have brought him up.
Roy Williams? 8 games into his rookie year and you're claiming him as a hero? A little desperate for names . . .eh? I could have listed Marcus Tubbs as a dud . . . but I figured it was too early in his career . . .
I was actually going to show you how stupid your post was till I saw you were born the year Earl Cambell came into the NFL. Lol. Not worth the effort.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Alright, I was hoping it wouldn't end in such a fashion. The post you made was pretty good but still quite a few holes never the less. Let me point them out to you.What, no percentages? Has the number dropped so far that you can only give out a "majority" now?

None questionable, all Pro Bowlers. I am loyal to Texas but every single stat I've handed out was truthful and would still be even if I was a fan of another school. Well since you want me to, here are the names (in alphabetical order):

Bertelsen, Jim
Brackens, Tony
Bradley, Bill
Brooks, Leo
Campbell, Earl
Clayborn, Raymond
Dillon, Bobby
English, Doug
Gray, Jerry
Hampton, Casey
Holmes, Priest
Hughes, Bill
Koy, Ernie
Lammons, Pete
Landry, Tom
Lansford, Buck
Layne, Bobby
Massey, Carlton
McFadin, Bud
McMichael, Steve
Metcalf, Eric
Nobis, Tommy
Sauer, George
Sewell, Harley
Sisemore, Jerry
Talbert, Diron
Tubbs, Winfred
Williams, Ricky

Show me a list of schools that have that many Pro Bowlers in their Program's History? If Texas isn't in the Top 10, I'll stop my argument right now.

First things first, I'd like to see the percentages of other schools (how many drafted, how many pro bowlers, what's their average career span) but I realize that's probably too big of a task but, as I've mentioned before, I doubt there are many schools that have produced better than what has come from the 40.

Secondly, just because a player isn't a household name doesn't mean he was a bust. Most of that 283 were taken in the late rounds and weren't expected to be great (if they were, they'd have been drafted higher). If even 20% of those players lasted in the League for over 5 years, that is a major accomplishment, considering where they were drafted, and none of them could be a considered a bust. So to say that "over 90% of players from the University of Texas amount to nothing more than a steaming pile of dung" is a bit skewed considering that most of them weren't even expected to live up to the standards of dung.

This again? Already shot it down, see page 1.

Dude, this is a message board. We can't see your facial expressions on our screen or hear your tone of voice through our speakers. If you type something out and it doesn't have a smilie or even the slightest tinge of sarcasm in it (yours didn't), it's going to get taken literally. Don't type it if you don't mean it.

Once again, what you equate as garbage, I see as dozens of players who had long careers in the League, several of whom made it to Pro Bowls and made a good living in a Profession that spits players out all too quickly.

Good you go ahead and do that but, oh wait, you don't have a job with the Cowboys organization do you? So if Dallas happens to pick up DJ next year in the Draft, what are you gonna do? Will you protest?

The current Coaching Staff sucks at developing College Talent let alone NFL Talent. Overall, they've done a pretty good job by my numbers.

Not my job bra, that responsibility falls on Mack's shoulders and once OU beats Texas again next season, hopefully Texas can hire a Coach that can win even one freaking Conference Championship.
Be careful what you wish for, Mackovick won a conference championship.

JoshBYW

Reaction score
Don't most people hope we find a way to sign Shaun Rogers? I wonder where that guy went to school...

Put Henson In

Reaction score
'Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Quintin Jammer, Derrick Dockery, just to name a few, think UT is a bust factory'

AHAHAHA LD is a good player in AZ. Mike is the starting left tackle in Buffalo. The other two are good players, now Sammy Davis the A&M DB opposite Jammer is a bust.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Put Henson In said:
'Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Quintin Jammer, Derrick Dockery, just to name a few, think UT is a bust factory'

AHAHAHA LD is a good player in AZ. Mike is the starting left tackle in Buffalo. The other two are good players, now Sammy Davis the A&M DB opposite Jammer is a bust.

IMO Jammer has been a bust. He's played solid, but for a #5 pick he's been a bust. I didn't want us to draft him and I'm glad the Chargers did so instead. Newman is 10X better then Jammer.

I think Jammer would make on hell of a FS though.