Desperate situation, what play do you call?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Last game of the season. If you win this game, you go to the playoffs. If you lose, you go home. You're down by 2 points. You have the ball on your own 1 yard line. It's 4th and 10, and there's only 1 second left in the 4th quarter. It's a desperate situation, but you do have one play left to try to win. What play do you call? I'll give you mine, and you can give yours.

I try a quick, high-percentage slant route, and then a bunch of laterals to see if we can pull off a miracle like that Stanford Band play.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What's wrong with that? This is taken from a real game. What the Lions did was send in their punter, and that used up all the time. They lose. It was the dumbest choice you could possibly make because there was no chance to win the game.

So with that one second, you still have a long-shot chance to win. What do you do?

Flamma

Reaction score
What's wrong with that? This is taken from a real game. What the Lions did was send in their punter, and that used up all the time. They lose. It was the dumbest choice you could possibly make because there was no chance to win the game.

So with that one second, you still have a long-shot chance to win. What do you do?
I can't speak for the previous poster, but my guess is that you stated the obvious. What you would do is literally what just about every team does in that situation. It's done probably dozens of times throughout the season.

Hardline

Reaction score
There is no way the defense is giving up a touchdown and that one second is ticking off the clock before you get into field goal range.
Run your desperation play and then start thinking about Tee time.

Flamma

Reaction score
You didn't even have to go back to the Stanford game, where it all started. This was what, 2 years ago?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would bring Tony Dorsett down from the stands, and have him run off tackle for 99 years TD.

Actually you have 2 fast players in Vaughn and Turpin. So you send them deep. Though they will be playing deep as well. Then is that deep pass is not there, as even if they can't get beyond the deep defenders. Allow them to use they speed and agility to avoid tackles.
Or, if that is not there, then a slant to CeeDee as the option, and go from there, but try to avoid all the laterals.

Flamma

Reaction score
This hypothetical is a bit extreme. Down on your own 1 with 1 second left. At that point I just throw up a Hail Mary and hope to get a tip and get lucky. The backward passing in that situation is just annoying. Lose with some dignity.

Flamma

Reaction score
When I first starting reading this post I thought it was going in a different direction. This was it.

With around 3 minutes left in the game, down by 1 point and 4th and 10 from your own 1 yard line. What do you do?

blueblood70

Reaction score
these threads are so much better than news and tweets from the star..i mean just so much more meaningful.... :facepalm: :rolleyes:

But hey Moore showed me its best to send in zeke as a center and line up all spread out and this should win the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Last game of the season. If you win this game, you go to the playoffs. If you lose, you go home. You're down by 2 points. You have the ball on your own 1 yard line. It's 4th and 10, and there's only 1 second left in the 4th quarter. It's a desperate situation, but you do have one play left to try to win. What play do you call? I'll give you mine, and you can give yours.

I try a quick, high-percentage slant route, and then a bunch of laterals to see if we can pull off a miracle like that Stanford Band play.
4 WR set. run 10 yard curls. :)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
these threads are so much better than news and tweets from the star..i mean just so much more meaningful.... :facepalm: :rolleyes:

But hey Moore showed me its best to send in zeke as a center and line up all spread out and this should win the game.
mike was totally behind the last play in 21 and probably was on the one in 22

DandyDon52

Reaction score

no laterals, just throw ball to open area underneath coverage, and hope they can take it all the way.

dcstar

Reaction score
Statue of Liberty

They'd never see it coming.

Go Cowboys!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That's a pretty hopeless situation, but to play along......... i guess i would run a sweep to either side with a quick toss to a Pollard or Vaughn and have all my OL, TE pull to that side. The defense will be spread out so only maybe two or three rushers. WRs job will be to run downfield and take on the deep defenders. The OL take on whoever they find in front of them. Let Pollard or Vaughn do what they do best and run to daylight and juke the tacklers. This kind of play does need to be practiced and i feel it could be more effective than throwing a Hail Mary from that area of the field or throwing all those improvised ridiculous laterals.

(note: The QB could run behind the RB all the way in case the RB wants to lateral at some point to him, then the RB runs behind the QB in case of another lateral) LOL, crazy but it could work come to think of it.

Then i go to the locker room and book my vacay to Cabo.