Deuce Vaughn is fighting for his NFL life this month

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will come down to a numbers game.

I think Peat makes it to the PS. Deuce may make it depending how may they keep at any of the other positions.

Don't be surprised if they release Rush at QB, go with 2 QB's. Then bring up Rush later on. After any other roster moves.
They could possibly release Deuce, then bring him back as well.

rambo2

Reaction score
As things stand right now, Elliott, Dowdle, and Freeman are likely locks to make the final roster.

Based on recent comments by both Jerry Jones and Mike McCarthy, it seems likely that Hunter Luepke will make it as a fullback.

Last year, the Cowboys carried three running backs and Luepke at fullback. That doesn't bode well for Vaughn. Nor Conner, Davis, and Peat for that matter.

Nor does it help that Royce Freeman is reportedly having an impressive camp.

Then add that cutting Vaughn wouldn't be all that costly to the Cowboys' salary cap. Under that set of circumstances, it seems Vaughn has dark clouds looming overhead.

https://insidethestar.com/deuce-vaughn-is-fighting-for-his-nfl-life-this-month/
Freeman is hurt now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It will come down to a numbers game.

I think Peat makes it to the PS. Deuce may make it depending how may they keep at any of the other positions.

Don't be surprised if they release Rush at QB, go with 2 QB's. Then bring up Rush later on. After any other roster moves.
They could possibly release Deuce, then bring him back as well.
I do not think you can expose either of the backup QB. They have to better than most backup quarterbacks. Rush has had an NFL winning streak.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think you can expose either of the backup QB. They have to better than most backup quarterbacks. Rush has had an NFL winning streak.
The past 2 times Rush was released he was not claimed off waivers.
Winning streak, 4 games, well ok then. Many back up QB's have done that. Then stayed backups for their careers.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The past 2 times Rush was released he was not claimed off waivers.
Winning streak, 4 games, well ok then. Many back up QB's have done that. Then stayed backups for their careers.
I am not saying he would be picked up to start. He was not exposed after he got regular season success.

I could see a lot of team seeing Rush as better than their backup.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Deuce Vaughn has not been utilized properly since he was drafted. He is a running back who should be utilized situationally in space and primarily in passing situations. Dump-off passes in the flats. Intermediate passes behind linebackers.

You play to his weaknesses pounding him between the tackles. Sweep. Off-tackle runs. These options play to his strengths.

Perhaps the clock is ticking for Vaughn as a Cowboy. His NFL life is more uncertain at this point. As such, I will add Inside The Star's Richard Paolinelli to the growing list (i.e. Bob Sturm, Nick Wright, etc.) of sports media representatives making dead certain predictions. Time shall always tell if 'professional' prognosticators are any more right or more than the average person or fan.

The problem is that compromises your pass pro schemes. When the OL slants one way, it usually falls on the back to pick up the defender left on the far end.

Deuce can't block a lick, so you're forced to send him out on routes and play 5 man pass pro, which limits how you can react to slants and overloads and blitz looks. Deuce needs to provide a LOT of value as a receiver to compensate for essentially wrecking your blocking scheme pre-snap, and he hasn't shown that yet.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I’m pulling for Peat, I think they need 4 RBs with a 17 game season. Unfortunately I think Vaughn might have to go. Maybe he could be good on the practice squad and he was a great college player. I thought he would be a dynamic utility player, but he hasn’t broken out.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I am not saying he would be picked up to start. He was not exposed after he got regular season success.

I could see a lot of team seeing Rush as better than their backup.

Rush can find the open man and throw to him, and there's a lot of backup QBs in the NFL who can't say that. Heck, there's a couple starters who can't say that.

Patrick

Reaction score
Would have been a great story, but let's be real, he hasn't shown anything. Last years camp we were bombarded with Vaughn clips, this year? Nothing.

He's as good as gone.

75boyz

Reaction score
The problem is that compromises your pass pro schemes. When the OL slants one way, it usually falls on the back to pick up the defender left on the far end.

Deuce can't block a lick, so you're forced to send him out on routes and play 5 man pass pro, which limits how you can react to slants and overloads and blitz looks. Deuce needs to provide a LOT of value as a receiver to compensate for essentially wrecking your blocking scheme pre-snap, and he hasn't shown that yet.
Excellent post.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Would have been a great story, but let's be real, he hasn't shown anything. Last years camp we were bombarded with Vaughn clips, this year? Nothing.

He's as good as gone.
He is rehabbing atm. Cannot make the team if you cannot get off the cords of course.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

True but the WCO uses a lot of 3 step drops to counter overloads. It requires someone like Cooper or Beasley that can get instant separation consistently.

Deuce does have the quickness to make it work. The route running technique is another thing of course.

Really sucks that he is hurt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s battling a hamstring, which is keeping him out of practice. That certainly isn’t helping his chances of making the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m pulling for Peat, I think they need 4 RBs with a 17 game season. Unfortunately I think Vaughn might have to go. Maybe he could be good on the practice squad and he was a great college player. I thought he would be a dynamic utility player, but he hasn’t broken out.
Yes I would like to see Peat break out also. I believe he will be on the PS. Then they can activate him those 3 different times if and when needed.
Most likely they will keep a 6th WR on the roster before a 4th RB, 5 if you count the FB.

Praxit

Reaction score
... I really feel for the guy. There's really no place in NFL for someone that small.

Unless he's used as special utility player. Sproles was unique for his stature. He was strong in mid-level playing.

Thats how he found longevity in NFL.

In saying that, I wish Vaughn best of luck.

stinkface

Reaction score
Wish him well, but he is the size of a Elf in NFL terms. If he ran a 4.3 and had the power of Mighty Mouse it would be different.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Vaughn looked great last year in preseason. Then the season started.
Finish the thought.

Then the season started... and the team had a bell-cow RB... and so what touches were given to Deuce were almost entirely touches at the end of games when the clock was being ran out, and the defense played 8 or more in the box.

It's stupid silly to pretend that that is somehow some reflection on Deuce's ability to perform in a real game when the result is still in doubt and he has the benefit normally given to RBs... ie, a starting O-line.

To the point of the OP...

Muchado about nothing.

So many premature post-mortems.

If the hamstring continues to plague him... and we all realize, surely, that does tend to be the case that once you get that injury, you shouldn't expect to get back very soon... look for him to be on IR.