Deuce Vaughn is fighting for his NFL life this month

tomokawan

Reaction score
It's just amazing (well, expected but that's for another thread) that the Cowboys couldn't find ANYBODY that was a better draft pick than Vaughan.

I'm sure this year we'll see some 6-7th round draft picks or undrafted free agents in a position of need for Dallas that play at a high level. What happened to our vaunted great draft department?
Revisionist history at it's finest. So there were a bunch of 6-7 round backs coming out of that draft that had a better college career than Deuce??? Really, complaining about a 6 round pick like he was a first round one. SMH, about the silliest things to complain about.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Finish the thought.

Then the season started... and the team had a bell-cow RB... and so what touches were given to Deuce were almost entirely touches at the end of games when the clock was being ran out, and the defense played 8 or more in the box.

It's stupid silly to pretend that that is somehow some reflection on Deuce's ability to perform in a real game when the result is still in doubt and he has the benefit normally given to RBs... ie, a starting O-line.

To the point of the OP...

Muchado about nothing.

So many premature post-mortems.

If the hamstring continues to plague him... and we all realize, surely, that does tend to be the case that once you get that injury, you shouldn't expect to get back very soon... look for him to be on IR.
I like Duece ALOT, watched him tear up my Frogs more than once, the fact is he is not a player that has a garunteed roster spot and injuries could for sure cost him one..here is to hoping he can get healthy because he needs PS games to show what he can do.

_sturt_

Reaction score
the fact is he is not a player that has a garunteed roster spot
I can agree with that much. But I'd say that for pretty much anyone who isn't starting, period, with maybe the exception of Cooper Rush.

injuries could for sure cost him
I agree with that, as well.

My point was... they'll put him on IR if there is any injury to be considered.

he needs PS games to show what he can do.
He showed what he can do last preseason. And it was compelling.

Hence, my confidence that he's not very likely to be let go anytime soon, short of extraordinary circumstances that we can't anticipate.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I can agree with that much. But I'd say that for pretty much anyone who isn't starting, period, with maybe the exception of Cooper Rush.

I agree with that, as well.

My point was... they'll put him on IR if there is any injury to be considered.

He showed what he can do last preseason. And it was compelling.

Hence, my confidence that he's not very likely to be let go anytime soon, short of extraordinary circumstances that we can't anticipate.
I think more of it for me is if he isnt out there then someone else will be getting a shot to show what he can do....I'm rooting for Duece for sure.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Finish the thought.

Then the season started... and the team had a bell-cow RB... and so what touches were given to Deuce were almost entirely touches at the end of games when the clock was being ran out, and the defense played 8 or more in the box.

It's stupid silly to pretend that that is somehow some reflection on Deuce's ability to perform in a real game when the result is still in doubt and he has the benefit normally given to RBs... ie, a starting O-line.

To the point of the OP...

Muchado about nothing.

So many premature post-mortems.

If the hamstring continues to plague him... and we all realize, surely, that does tend to be the case that once you get that injury, you shouldn't expect to get back very soon... look for him to be on IR.
Finish the thought? Didn’t you watch him play last season and the weren’t in mop up duty. He averaged 2 yards per carry. 2!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Finish the thought? Didn’t you watch him play last season and the weren’t in mop up duty. He averaged 2 yards per carry. 2!
I dont know Rock i think alot of it was mop up, but i will say this with the RB room we have this year Duece has a more defined spot in it than he had with Pollard in the room...hope he can get on the field for some PS games

bottleKids

Reaction score
No one said this last season when Tony was limping around on one leg.

But now that Zeke is back, we suddenly need to draft a RB.

What happened to “you don’t need a RB…they are cheap.”….

It’s because Zeke is better than Tony.

Always was.
You are crazy if you think Zeke is a stud RB still that is going to take us to the promise land .... I am a Zeke Sympathizer for years too, but TP last year had over 1k yards on the ground. If you think our RB room is strong than last year I don't now what to tell you... you don't need to spend 8-12 million a year on a RB but there were other options and still are to better the position!

Go trade for Mitchel from San Fran.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont know Rock i think alot of it was mop up, but i will say this with the RB room we have this year Duece has a more defined spot in it than he had with Pollard in the room...hope he can get on the field for some PS games
Honestly don’t remember although I recall him getting touches early in the season and early in games. Regardless, if it was mop up duty, then it’s even worse because teams aren’t giving 100% at that point in the game and some of the starters are even not playing at that point.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Honestly don’t remember although I recall him getting touches early in the season and early in games. Regardless, if it was mop up duty, then it’s even worse because teams aren’t giving 100% at that point in the game and some of the starters are even not playing at that point.
loaded boxes but again, using Duece with Zeke has a real role to me, Duece taking touches from Pollard that makes less since to me (obviously Pollard wasn't great last year either)

plasticman

Reaction score
Fighting for his NFL life? In a sense, yes. That is, if his NFLlife was limited to the role of a player. I get the feeling that he will eventually follow in his father's footsteps.

I think when it is all said and done, the NFL won't remember much about Deuce the player. I believe his NFL reputation will be based on scouting and management.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It will come down to a numbers game.

I think Peat makes it to the PS. Deuce may make it depending how may they keep at any of the other positions.

Don't be surprised if they release Rush at QB, go with 2 QB's. Then bring up Rush later on. After any other roster moves.
They could possibly release Deuce, then bring him back as well.
Lance is better than Rush.

Mcsports

Reaction score
The problem is that compromises your pass pro schemes. When the OL slants one way, it usually falls on the back to pick up the defender left on the far end.

Deuce can't block a lick, so you're forced to send him out on routes and play 5 man pass pro, which limits how you can react to slants and overloads and blitz looks. Deuce needs to provide a LOT of value as a receiver to compensate for essentially wrecking your blocking scheme pre-snap, and he hasn't shown that yet.
Good points.
Plus Deuce’s catch radius is limited compared to other backs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's all about preseason for RBs. Practice shows nothing when they aren't tackling. Zeke, Royce, and Luepke have similar styles. Royce would make a good practice squad guy in case Zeke got hurt.
I'm leaning toward that because we could likely get him there. He wasn't highly chased as a free agent, so unless he shows out or someone needs an injury fill-in in their No. 2 spot, I think he'll coast through waivers. Vaughn might, too, but since he's just in his second year, some team that wanted to take a look at him could grab him for a backup role.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Meh.

Deuce is definitely quicker and faster than Freeman. Zeke is better than Freeman. Even Rico Dowdle might arguatively be better than Freeman. Zeke, Rico and Freeman bring you the same type of RB. Keep 1 of those 3 on the practice squad. Keep Deuce on the 53 if you're going to use him both in the return game and on designed run plays and pass plays. If you can't get creative as an O-Coordinator with this revamped and younger Oline, maybe that's where the problem lies.
Our plan may be to pound it between the tackles, though. So having three pounders might be desired. I do think McCarthy may want a change-up back, though, and we did just draft him last year in a feel-good move. Would we crush him and his dad that quickly?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://insidethestar.com/deuce-vaughn-is-fighting-for-his-nfl-life-this-month/

Near the end of the 2023 NFL Draft, Deuce Vaughn became the darling of the draft. The video of Vaughn being drafted in the sixth round by the Dallas Cowboys quickly went viral. His own father, Chris Vaughn, the Cowboys' assistant director of scouting, made the call to tell him that he had been drafted.

You couldn't watch that video with a dry eye unless you were completely soulless.

Off To A Good Start​

Over the first five weeks of the season, Vaughn had a role in the offense.

It wasn't a major role, but he was getting playing time.

Over those five games, Vaughn had 20 carries for 40 yards to go along with five receptions for 19 yards on five targets. He had one 10-yard punt return too.

In total, he had 48 snaps on offense and another 19 on special teams.

Again, he wasn't on track for MVP with those numbers. However, at least he was playing.
Do you not see how bad the run stats are?

The 40 yards receiving were on 7-7 receiving. At least he showed he can reliably catch the ball. But 5.7 ypr is nothing to get excited about.

I think he's got to make more hay as a receiver to have a chance. He looked like a natural pass catcher in college, and he caught what was thrown at him. But gotta get the route running down to be a guy to get consistent separation. The quickness, agility, and low center of gravity should make that happen. But he's not a viable player until it does. Gotta learn returns too.

Probably PS until Turpin is gone. Turpin just delivers on kicks and on offense. Not lots of offensive touches, but very productive when he got them.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Our plan may be to pound it between the tackles, though. So having three pounders might be desired. I do think McCarthy may want a change-up back, though, and we did just draft him last year in a feel-good move. Would we crush him and his dad that quickly?
Going to the PS is not crushing Vaughn. I think they've finally figured out that he needs to add route running to his skill package for him to be a viable NFL player. Let him keep working the dream on the PS. See if he looks viable for the roster next year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Revisionist history at it's finest. So there were a bunch of 6-7 round backs coming out of that draft that had a better college career than Deuce??? Really, complaining about a 6 round pick like he was a first round one. SMH, about the silliest things to complain about.
it's the off season, gotta keep things moving....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He was one of the most successful RBs in the entire country in college.

He was going to be drafted.
Yeah, so successful he didn't get drafted, and that by his daddy's team, until the 6th round. There were only 47 remaining draft picks after he was selected.

No team other than Dallas was going to draft a 5-5 running back. There was just no need, he could have been signed by any team after the draft.

Look, I like the kid. Would love to see him do well, love underdogs. But just because I like him doesn't mean we can make statements that are unproveable and unrealistic...