Developing NFL QBs takes great coaching

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still think this is coaching. All the prep, practice, film study, play calling, scheme, routes etc. leading up to those moments. Doesn’t mean he would be great with those things, but I do think he could improve with smart coaching. That simply does not exist here.

No comment ...wow amazing simply amazing.....

Big_D

Reaction score
No comment ...wow amazing simply amazing.....

LOL The coaches suck and right now Dak is their only option for another year. What do think is going to happen? Maybe he falls flat, but QB options are pretty slim when the off-season rolls around since they traded their first. Jerry’s going to stick with him and a new coach should be evaluating that situation.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I still think this is coaching. All the prep, practice, film study, play calling, scheme, routes etc. leading up to those moments. Doesn’t mean he would be great with those things, but I do think he could improve with smart coaching. That simply does not exist here.
You do realize, he just has his fingers in his ears and just saying la la la la la? Some things are absolutely Dak's fault, but not everything is. For some people everything is Dak's fault even things that aren't Cowboys related. Chinese food delivery arrives, they forgot the eggroll, Dak's fault. Bird poops on your freshly washed car, Dak's fault. Tornado just tore up a trailer park, Dak's fault.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m 100% endorsing that DAL go finds a new coaching staff. My point is that the coaches can suck and Dak still not have what it takes to be a legitimate franchise QB. This staff doesn’t get the most out of Dak. But Dak’s most is still not going to be enough if your goal is year in and year out contention.

Agreed.

Big_D

Reaction score
You do realize, he just has his fingers in his ears and just saying la la la la la? Some things are absolutely Dak's fault, but not everything is. For some people everything is Dak's fault even things that aren't Cowboys related. Chinese food delivery arrives, they forgot the eggroll, Dak's fault. Bird poops on your freshly washed car, Dak's fault. Tornado just tore up a trailer park, Dak's fault.

I have a hard time blaming players at this point when the coaching sucks as bad as it does. Go find that Oline video. I’ll cut and paste when I get a minute, but it’s as inept as inept could possibly get. We’ve been talking about crap scheme and play calling for years. Opposing defenses been calling them out and it’s a big problem. I don’t think Dak is the answer but unfortunately this front office put all their eggs in that basket. Go get some ‘real and experienced’ coaching and cross your fingers that they can do a better job of developing a QB. Any QB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. Dak isn’t great. He has played poorly in almost every game this year. But he’s also not “trash” as too many fans on here think. I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I hope you read this before trashing it, Lol.

IMO, in the last year and half, Dak has been very poorly served by one of the worst developmental coaching staffs in the NFL. When the team went 13-3 in 2016, and Dak threw for a passing yardage team record in his only playoff game, I think this team’s top brass thought Dak had arrived. Instead of treating him as a developmental project that needed special attention, they treated like a 10 year vet with skins on the wall. Really bad mistake.

When it comes to developing a young QB, good coaching matters a ton. Look at what Andy Reid has done with Patrick Mahomes. As a big Tech fan, I saw Mahomes play a lot in college, and although he has great athletic skills and arm strength, he was very raw coming out of college. Reid has maximized Mahomes’ talent. I’m not comparing Dak to PMs talent, but again, coaching is huge in developing a young QB.

Sean McVea took a young, discouraged Jared Goff and turned him completely around through coaching and making the offensive system fit his skills better. McVea’s philosophy is the polar opposite of the cripplingly conservative Garrett- he often says “We don’t fear failure when making decisions”. Unlike Mahomes, Goff doesn’t have the arm strength but McVea has taught Goff how to maximize his talent. Not saying Dak is Goff. But again, coaching matters a ton when developing a young QB.

Being a decent NFL QB requires so much more than raw talent. It requires a special ability to mentally process what to do at lightening speed, I don’t think most young QBs develop that without some really, really good coaching.

Linehan and Garrett are not only NOT good at mentoring young QBs, the offensive system they use is the NFL’s version of vanilla ice cream. It’s the most unimaginative scheme in the league now. Garrett’s system is based first on the tired moniker, “Fight”.

Maybe Dak will never be anything. But before he’s completely discarded at the very young QB age of25, I would like to see him have a chance with some really good offensive coaches.

Despite what too many seem to think, NFL QBs don’t grow on trees. Fans may hate Dak now but there’s not a QB garden to go pick the next Tom Brady. Even if we found a new young talent at QB- guess what- they have to be developed. If Jerry says he wants to stay with Dak, he better find some coaches that can develop him.

Developing our struggling young QB should have been Job One in the offseason.

Our response was to fire the only QB and only QB coach with real experience, and promote the water boy in his place.

A totally unprofessional, unserious move.

Clown show.

Big_D

Reaction score

This is a serious problem. You have to wonder what is going on here? It's beyond even comprehension. lol

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/have-a-look-at-our-quality-ol-play.419471/

sean10mm

Reaction score
Hire a real coaching staff and let them decide what to do with Dak. If they want to use him as a bridge QB like the Chiefs did with Alex Smith before they got Mahomes ready, fine. If they want to purge everything and start over, that's fine too. Just get someone with actual football acumen to make the decisions instead of the ginger clapper.

I mean even Romo was miscast to a degree, he would have been way better in the Packer-style vertical WCO that late career Favre/early career Rodgers ran than trying to turn him into an Aikman impersonator. Fast forward 10 years and they're trying to shoehorn Dak into the same scheme with no evolution whatsoever and it's 100x stupider still.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
This is a serious problem. You have to wonder what is going on here? It's beyond even comprehension. lol

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/have-a-look-at-our-quality-ol-play.419471/

There's plays like that literally every week. Plays where it doesn't look like players necessarily missed assignments, but the assignments just look all messed up. It's hard to tell because nothing about it looks right. Plays where defenders look like they are purposely left unblocked during runs or passes. Plays where you seriously can't tell what's going on.

dfense

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. Dak isn’t great. He has played poorly in almost every game this year. But he’s also not “trash” as too many fans on here think. I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I hope you read this before trashing it, Lol.

IMO, in the last year and half, Dak has been very poorly served by one of the worst developmental coaching staffs in the NFL. When the team went 13-3 in 2016, and Dak threw for a passing yardage team record in his only playoff game, I think this team’s top brass thought Dak had arrived. Instead of treating him as a developmental project that needed special attention, they treated like a 10 year vet with skins on the wall. Really bad mistake.

When it comes to developing a young QB, good coaching matters a ton. Look at what Andy Reid has done with Patrick Mahomes. As a big Tech fan, I saw Mahomes play a lot in college, and although he has great athletic skills and arm strength, he was very raw coming out of college. Reid has maximized Mahomes’ talent. I’m not comparing Dak to PMs talent, but again, coaching is huge in developing a young QB.

Sean McVea took a young, discouraged Jared Goff and turned him completely around through coaching and making the offensive system fit his skills better. McVea’s philosophy is the polar opposite of the cripplingly conservative Garrett- he often says “We don’t fear failure when making decisions”. Unlike Mahomes, Goff doesn’t have the arm strength but McVea has taught Goff how to maximize his talent. Not saying Dak is Goff. But again, coaching matters a ton when developing a young QB.

Being a decent NFL QB requires so much more than raw talent. It requires a special ability to mentally process what to do at lightening speed, I don’t think most young QBs develop that without some really, really good coaching.

Linehan and Garrett are not only NOT good at mentoring young QBs, the offensive system they use is the NFL’s version of vanilla ice cream. It’s the most unimaginative scheme in the league now. Garrett’s system is based first on the tired moniker, “Fight”.

Maybe Dak will never be anything. But before he’s completely discarded at the very young QB age of25, I would like to see him have a chance with some really good offensive coaches.

Despite what too many seem to think, NFL QBs don’t grow on trees. Fans may hate Dak now but there’s not a QB garden to go pick the next Tom Brady. Even if we found a new young talent at QB- guess what- they have to be developed. If Jerry says he wants to stay with Dak, he better find some coaches that can develop him.
I like that, "Dak is not great. He's played poorly in almost every game this year." That's like saying my girlfriend isn't really pretty, she's just not good looking.

Dont you think the coaches spend hours on Dak's footwork and mechanics? Two offseasons, film room, decision making, timing on routes, quick decisions, the clock in your head, plant your feet when throwing. Don't stare down the receiver?

It's easy to pile on the coaches, but there's a QB coach, a coordinator and a head coach. Garrett was a QB! You really think they haven't tried everything under the sun with Dak?

Year 3 and his mechanics still suck. come on.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like that, "Dak is not great. He's played poorly in almost every game this year." That's like saying my girlfriend isn't really pretty, she's just not good looking.

Dont you think the coaches spend hours on Dak's footwork and mechanics? Two offseasons, film room, decision making, timing on routes, quick decisions, the clock in your head, plant your feet when throwing. Don't stare down the receiver?

It's easy to pile on the coaches, but there's a QB coach, a coordinator and a head coach. Garrett was a QB! You really think they haven't tried everything under the sun with Dak?

Year 3 and his mechanics still suck. come on.
There are lots of coaches better than ours.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The 2 biggest differences from 2016 to today ?

Tony Romo and Mark Sanchez , NFL starting playoff QB's aren't here to mentor the kid......................Kellen Moore is................End of story.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2 biggest differences from 2016 to today ?

Tony Romo and Mark Sanchez , NFL starting playoff QB's aren't here to mentor the kid......................Kellen Moore is................End of story.
How do you explain Mahomes and Goff’s success? Both are being coached by HCs and some position coaches that never played a down of pro football.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
How do you explain Mahomes and Goff’s success? Both are being coached by HCs and some position coaches that never played a down of pro football.

There's a reason both were 1st Round draft choices ; their measurables way exceed Dak's , and the Cowboys offensive "brain trust" consists of a proven failure (Linehan) , one who is proving he's in over his head (Garrett) , and a QB coach who only "made it" in the NFL because he was Linehan's pet project as both a QB and QB coach..........................

FTWayne

Reaction score
Guru's and better coaches can make any backup quarterback a starter in the NFL. Maybe this clown should go to Fred Aster's dance school too for his bad footwork.

kskboys

Reaction score

Very well done, and accurate to the nth.

We will not know what Dak can be unless we get someone in here who can teach him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I mean even Romo was miscast to a degree, he would have been way better in the Packer-style vertical WCO that late career Favre/early career Rodgers ran than trying to turn him into an Aikman impersonator.
Second.

Spread the field. Let Romo dish the ball to 4/5 competent WRs. Romo was a point guard.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Which explains why Dak did so well his rookie year and regressed when he got Coached Down....

MojaveJT

Reaction score
It’s a dang shame too. Dak has the drive, the leader quality, and is willing to work his tail off to get better. But you can’t get better if the ones teaching you are horse crap. The blind leading the blind.