Developing NFL QBs takes great coaching

Carter

Reaction score
This GM and his “family FO” have to make a decision- if they want to stay with Dak, he needs a great developmental HC and OC. If JJ is committed to the worst Head Coach in the NFL, he better give up on Dak and try to sign a veteran QB that needs nothing.

You can’t succeed with both Dak and Garrett.

Garrett couldnt succeed with Prime Romo, Witten and Dez and he couldnt with Tom Brady, Prime Randy Moss and Megatron. Garrett would have a losing Season with Alabama in College.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There are a ton of fans who think that it wouldn't matter who the staff is, Prescott is just a lousy QB and 2016 means nothing.
What has JG done?
We got rid of Wilson, what has Moore done?
Linehan?

You could just flush this group and find better. It would make the world of difference.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think a veteran QB would be frustrated with this system. I truely believe that if you bring Flaco or Cousins, they wouldn't do much better under these bozos running our offense. The offense is outdated, and there is no proof that it works, it's never worked here in Dallas since Garrett became head coach.
It worked to an extent with Romo, but in large part to his own experience and ability. That's something a young QB doesn't bring to the table. A vet QB may be frustrated in it's vanillaness, but has already developed the skills this offensive philosophy requires. It's certainly outdated and lack of creativity doesn't lend itself to long term success.

Grevus

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. Dak isn’t great. He has played poorly in almost every game this year. But he’s also not “trash” as too many fans on here think. I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I hope you read this before trashing it, Lol.

IMO, in the last year and half, Dak has been very poorly served by one of the worst developmental coaching staffs in the NFL. When the team went 13-3 in 2016, and Dak threw for a passing yardage team record in his only playoff game, I think this team’s top brass thought Dak had arrived. Instead of treating him as a developmental project that needed special attention, they treated like a 10 year vet with skins on the wall. Really bad mistake.

When it comes to developing a young QB, good coaching matters a ton. Look at what Andy Reid has done with Patrick Mahomes. As a big Tech fan, I saw Mahomes play a lot in college, and although he has great athletic skills and arm strength, he was very raw coming out of college. Reid has maximized Mahomes’ talent. I’m not comparing Dak to PMs talent, but again, coaching is huge in developing a young QB.

Sean McVea took a young, discouraged Jared Goff and turned him completely around through coaching and making the offensive system fit his skills better. McVea’s philosophy is the polar opposite of the cripplingly conservative Garrett- he often says “We don’t fear failure when making decisions”. Unlike Mahomes, Goff doesn’t have the arm strength but McVea has taught Goff how to maximize his talent. Not saying Dak is Goff. But again, coaching matters a ton when developing a young QB.

Being a decent NFL QB requires so much more than raw talent. It requires a special ability to mentally process what to do at lightening speed, I don’t think most young QBs develop that without some really, really good coaching.

Linehan and Garrett are not only NOT good at mentoring young QBs, the offensive system they use is the NFL’s version of vanilla ice cream. It’s the most unimaginative scheme in the league now. Garrett’s system is based first on the tired moniker, “Fight”.

Maybe Dak will never be anything. But before he’s completely discarded at the very young QB age of25, I would like to see him have a chance with some really good offensive coaches.

Despite what too many seem to think, NFL QBs don’t grow on trees. Fans may hate Dak now but there’s not a QB garden to go pick the next Tom Brady. Even if we found a new young talent at QB- guess what- they have to be developed. If Jerry says he wants to stay with Dak, he better find some coaches that can develop him.

Great post. Completely agree. I've been saying the same thing since last year that Dak has issues, but this coaching staff and offensive scheme is trash.

GenoT

Reaction score
This is why I'd love to see Jim Harbaugh as next coach. He's young, energetic and a former NFL head coach with Super Bowl experience as head coach AND assistant coach. Not sure many here know or remember, he was Bill Callahan's QB coach when took the Raider to the Super Bowl. Since Callahan is on the last year of his Skins contract, guess who can be his offensive coor.
Totally agree, but Harbaugh has his self-proclaimed “dream job”, makes $7.5mil per (+ bonuses) and has complete control over the UM football program.

He’s not gonna get any of that working for Jerry.

Reaction score
Best part of 2016 was our offensive line so Dak could just sit back and find the open receiver and throw a good pass. Now, he doesnt trust the line and is running out of clean pockets and cant stay calm... He is missing WIDE OPEN receivers... that is not coaching

kevm3

Reaction score
Giving garrett and linehan a new qb is theowing another qb down the drain. Look at how much cooper rush regressed

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I just want to know who all these developed QB's in the NFL are.....

Who are the developed ones who are starters. I mean I know most of the top guys came in as 1st or 2nd rounders, that were not developed necessarily but came in with NFL talent!

Brady? - that must be the one you are referring too!
The only QB in recent memory, off the top of my head, that was probably ready to be a starter from day 1 is Andrew Luck. Pretty much everyone else sat a year or needed a year or two.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Totally agree, but Harbaugh has his self-proclaimed “dream job”, makes $7.5mil per (+ bonuses) and has complete control over the UM football program.

He’s not gonna get any of that working for Jerry.

Agree but IF he wins a national championship, he may consider returning to NFL. What's funny, he actually started the season under a bit of pressure coz he's never beaten Ohio State. IMO he would be the absolute perfect match for the job and without a first-round pick, what better voice to have in the draft room than a big-time former coach head coach.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The only QB in recent memory, off the top of my head, that was probably ready to be a starter from day 1 is Andrew Luck. Pretty much everyone else sat a year or needed a year or two.

Most starters are first round picks. I really have no problem with bashing the staff but way to much blaming the staff for a QB that was picked in the 4th round. He just does not have it!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We know, why I am one of those who believe the main reason Dak went from 2016 ROY to one of the worst starting QB's is this coaching staff.
Does that also mean that the main reason Dak was 2016 ROY was the coaching staff? I hate Garrett too but this works both ways.

Maybe, just maybe, they're all equally responsible for all of it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The only way the Garrett/Linehan offense will work is with a vet QB. If we had a young blue chip QB, he might play a little better than Dak, but would never reach their full potential under their coaching.

Fix the coaching, the scheme, the line in that order. I would NEVER stop looking for a better QB, ever. Too valuable a position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most starters are first round picks. I really have no problem with bashing the staff but way to much blaming the staff for a QB that was picked in the 4th round. He just does not have it!

I agree. He doesn't have the coaching, the scheme, or the line. That is the IT for me. NO rookie QB is going to do diddly here unless you fix these problems. See Dak Prescott for proof.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Does that also mean that the main reason Dak was 2016 ROY was the coaching staff? I hate Garrett too but this works both ways.

Maybe, just maybe, they're all equally responsible for all of it.
No. We have a gamer for a QB that was going against teams that had no clue what to expect until half way through the season. You had Romo drawing up plays. And a dominate running game that Linehan and this Offense actually used to help Dak. JG simply clapped and called time outs and threw challenge flags at inappropriate times. Nothing has changed with JG.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No. We have a gamer for a QB that was going against teams that had no clue what to expect until half way through the season. You had Romo drawing up plays. And a dominate running game that Linehan and this Offense actually used to help Dak. JG simply clapped and called time outs and threw challenge flags at inappropriate times. Nothing has changed with JG.
Ok, so Linehan was the main reason for him being 2016 ROY? From what I've read, he's as guilty and as bad as Garrett.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
This GM and his “family FO” have to make a decision- if they want to stay with Dak, he needs a great developmental HC and OC. If JJ is committed to the worst Head Coach in the NFL, he better give up on Dak and try to sign a veteran QB that needs nothing.

You can’t succeed with both Dak and Garrett.
Honestly, I just think dak doesn’t have the arm. He is mostly inaccurate, sometimes he will make a throw, but he is regularly over/underthrowing people. I’d say like 75% of the time his intermediate to deep throws are off. IMO that’s why dez fell off....all pro with romo, garbage with dak? Accuracy is a hard one to fix...

khiladi

Reaction score
It also takes talent from the beginning. With Dak, after increasing responsibility, they had to dumb it back down for him. Linehan simplified everything for him year 1, including reducing the route tree of Dez.

The reality is, while Linehan may not be the greatest OC, the main problem is the QB and the buffoon HC, with his politicking ways that has created this garbage culture.

Additionally, it’s “comical” that you never heard the talking heads or Dak-homers blame the coaching staff and play-calling for the majority of Romo’s career and it was Jason Garrett calling the plays. All you hear from the majority of people was allegedly how much of a genius Garrett was.

Now with Dak, suddenly the offense is out-dated and Dak isn’t utilized properly, when Linehan has run more bootleg, play-action and read-options in two games than Garrett ran his entire career here.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Ok, I get it. Dak isn’t great. He has played poorly in almost every game this year. But he’s also not “trash” as too many fans on here think. I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I hope you read this before trashing it, Lol.

IMO, in the last year and half, Dak has been very poorly served by one of the worst developmental coaching staffs in the NFL. When the team went 13-3 in 2016, and Dak threw for a passing yardage team record in his only playoff game, I think this team’s top brass thought Dak had arrived. Instead of treating him as a developmental project that needed special attention, they treated like a 10 year vet with skins on the wall. Really bad mistake.

When it comes to developing a young QB, good coaching matters a ton. Look at what Andy Reid has done with Patrick Mahomes. As a big Tech fan, I saw Mahomes play a lot in college, and although he has great athletic skills and arm strength, he was very raw coming out of college. Reid has maximized Mahomes’ talent. I’m not comparing Dak to PMs talent, but again, coaching is huge in developing a young QB.

Sean McVea took a young, discouraged Jared Goff and turned him completely around through coaching and making the offensive system fit his skills better. McVea’s philosophy is the polar opposite of the cripplingly conservative Garrett- he often says “We don’t fear failure when making decisions”. Unlike Mahomes, Goff doesn’t have the arm strength but McVea has taught Goff how to maximize his talent. Not saying Dak is Goff. But again, coaching matters a ton when developing a young QB.

Being a decent NFL QB requires so much more than raw talent. It requires a special ability to mentally process what to do at lightening speed, I don’t think most young QBs develop that without some really, really good coaching.

Linehan and Garrett are not only NOT good at mentoring young QBs, the offensive system they use is the NFL’s version of vanilla ice cream. It’s the most unimaginative scheme in the league now. Garrett’s system is based first on the tired moniker, “Fight”.

Maybe Dak will never be anything. But before he’s completely discarded at the very young QB age of25, I would like to see him have a chance with some really good offensive coaches.

Despite what too many seem to think, NFL QBs don’t grow on trees. Fans may hate Dak now but there’s not a QB garden to go pick the next Tom Brady. Even if we found a new young talent at QB- guess what- they have to be developed. If Jerry says he wants to stay with Dak, he better find some coaches that can develop him.

Just confirms another stupid coaching decision by this staff of family members. I don't see how Dak can grow being coached by someone who couldn't earn a starting position.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score

Well said my man. McVay made things really easy for his young QB. No knock on Goff; Mcvay really helped him- getting Goff to the line early so Mcvay could help reading coverages was brilliant. Exactly what you want your coach to do for your young QB.

Our coach thinks it best to get rid of all the outside weapons for our young QB and put scrubs out there. Then he panics and signs off on a trade for a good player, but one where we gave up WAAAAYYYY too much.

It really boggles my mind how little motion we use pre-snap. The Chiefs do this like no one business which is why the whole team is seemingly always wide open.