darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been a Smith fan since they signed him in January of 2019. And of course a fan for when he was at OSU.
Stupid Garrett & Company stopped using him last season. But that will not impact the coaching decisions this season, all start out with a clean slate.

Not sure where this writer gets that there is a lot of competition at WR for him to make the team. But I do agree he is not a lock. But he is in the top 4 or 5 to get one of the last 2 or 3 WR spots.

Who is his competition.
Brown, slower, but is a great blocker, can catch if given the opportunity. But injury prone. however not as injury prone as Wilson.
I put Smith above these 2.

Then there was old regime favorite Ventrell Bryant, but he was more of a ST's guy. I think MM will value Smith more.
And then there is drop prone Johnson, has great speed, but will his concentration be better and can he hang onto the ball.
After that you have a PS holdover and 3 UDFA's.

My bet is on Devin getting one of the last 2 or 3 spots.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am hoping that all the WR can run routes from any part of the field. Imagine 4WR set with Smith and Lamb on the outside and Cooper and gallup running from the slot or any other combination.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he is not the top 3 on the team for sure....so to be the 4th and 5th WR you have to play special teams, both in coverage and kick returns. I am not sure if Smith is as good in those areas and it may come down to how many reps he may get during the season, how many plays he is expected to make and if that's worth a spot. everyone will point to the Washington game or couple of plays he made during the season, but our special teams were awful, down right awful and he was part of the problem. as parcells used to say, the hidden yards...we all see the ESPN highlights, because thats what they are, but the hidden yards cost you games....can any of these guys play special teams? and then we can use their talents whatever it maybe in a few plays that they are on the field, there is plenty of speed with the top 3, so that's not a concern.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
he is not the top 3 on the team for sure....so to be the 4th and 5th WR you have to play special teams, both in coverage and kick returns. I am not sure if Smith is as good in those areas and it may come down to how many reps he may get during the season, how many plays he is expected to make and if that's worth a spot. everyone will point to the Washington game or couple of plays he made during the season, but our special teams were awful, down right awful and he was part of the problem. as parcells used to say, the hidden yards...we all see the ESPN highlights, because thats what they are, but the hidden yards cost you games....can any of these guys play special teams? and then we can use their talents whatever it maybe in a few plays that they are on the field, there is plenty of speed with the top 3, so that's not a concern.

I wouldn't cut Smith for a special teams guy. Garrett was an idiot. MM is not. However, Smith is a guy I would love to see returning kickoffs.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The job is up for grabs. He had a TD a while back and thought he may be used more. Him and a few others better improve this year. One less spot available. Gallup, Cooper and Lamb. How many WR are we going to carry. 6 .

glimmerman

Reaction score
One TD for a bomb to never be seen from again.......
5 receptions for 113 yards. And a TD. I just checked and didn’t realize he has been in the league since 2015. Played 2015 and 2016 for Jets. Then no stats until he showed up at The Cowboys last year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut Smith for a special teams guy. Garrett was an idiot. MM is not. However, Smith is a guy I would love to see returning kickoffs.
if he is able to return kicks off or even punts then that's the contribution we need on special teams. if he can't contribute at all on special teams, then not sure if we can keep him. for him to contribute then we have to take reps from CD, AC or Gallup.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
if he is able to return kicks off or even punts then that's the contribution we need on special teams. if he can't contribute at all on special teams, then not sure if we can keep him. for him to contribute then we have to take reps from CD, AC or Gallup.

He did it in college.

4th WR and first WR off the bench if either of the top 3 get hurt. Cutting good players because they don't play special teams is what Garrett used to do.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Let me say this again as some of y'all don't get it.

MM used a good bit of 4 WR in GB. Why? Because his running backs sucked.

4 WR sets will take your RB off the field. This is basic math. Your #1 TE ain't coming off, so 4 WR = 0 RB. I know many on this board don't understand math but this is pretty straightforward. 5 OL + 1 TE + 1 QB = 7 players. 11-7 = 4. You have 4 spots to allocate between WR and RB. Count it out on your fingers if you need to. When you hit 4 WR, you get to 0 RB.

Folks on this board whined like spoiled children last year if Zeke came out for a single snap ... but now you are calling for him to be on the bench so we can get Smith snaps?

shabazz

Reaction score
..............possibly even indispensable.......but not extrude-able.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Will be amazing to see him used under coaches who know what they’re doing. To me, he’s our WR4 over Cedrick Wilson.

glimmerman

Reaction score

4 WR sets will take your RB off the field. This is basic math. Your #1 TE ain't coming off, so 4 WR = 0 RB. I know many on this board don't understand math but this is pretty straightforward. 5 OL + 1 TE + 1 QB = 7 players. 11-7 = 4. You have 4 spots to allocate between WR and RB. Count it out on your fingers if you need to. When you hit 4 WR, you get to 0 RB.

Folks on this board whined like spoiled children last year if Zeke came out for a single snap ... but now you are calling for him to be on the bench so we can get Smith snaps?
I see a lot of 3 WR sets coming. We got Cooper , Gallup and now Lamb. We will rotate a few in but if you can’t play ST then it leaves you out. Will we keep 6 WR this year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His skills were on full display vs the jets...and it wasn't good.

cowboygo

Reaction score

Your #1 TE can definitely come off.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He did it in college.

4th WR and first WR off the bench if either of the top 3 get hurt. Cutting good players because they don't play special teams is what Garrett used to do.
if he has special teams ability, then I am all in....but I think sacrificing one area, for a player that may get a 100 snaps on the year or just in case of injury is not a good idea....do you take all of that into consideration? yes as part of the decision making process and how much better is he relative to the 5th guy on the roster

quickccc

Reaction score
Him or JVJ is likely to get reps as a 4th WR in spread sets mainly due to speed. Im very critical of Smith as a WR, but linear speed could be very effective in those sets.

However, I dont know how many 4 wide sets we will run. And I also think you could see both Jarwin and Pollard gets snaps in those sets. Our 4th WR might not be a high usuage spot

- i think Pollard will get looks as a nickel spot RB,, much like ex-Cowboys RB Lance Dunbar in the pass game.
because he is that fluid, fast moving and flexible enough to move him around to "occasional " slot. Dunbar was moved around in pass game
in some slot - according to the packages designs.
i don't buy into this notion that he is gonna be a partial slot WR. - dire urgent injury issues aside.

- the big key with Jarwin is seeing how as a full time stater, if he can consistently beat the better coverage LBs and safeties
and have that constant impact. In-line, i would assume this coaching regime won't be asking him to block DEs as much as the Garrett era.

i'll have to look back at MM's offense again, but i dunno if i saw a lot of 4 WR formations But it is vital to have a capable enough 4th WR that can fill in adequately when/if one of the three WRs get banged up for an extended period.

- Me preferably i want a guy that opens the field and has significant separation skills. I'd like his speed to a presence and a key tool.
That's' why i can hope more for a speedy once highly regarded draft regarded.prospect like Devin Smith or a much improved
Jonvea Johnson who has to become a stronger finisher and cease the drop ball status.
Sorry but i cannot get excited anymore about injury prone possession receivers cedrick wilson and noah brown.

But i also feel it is important to get that 4th, 5th WRs to be essential in special teams help too.
If we keep a 6th WR, that could be a guy that never suits up on game day active list, but that they feel too strong about his tools/potential
to leave exposed to practice squad waiver or other team pouching for him from PS.
:cool: