News: Devin Smith’s unique skill set could prove invaluable in 2020

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let me say this again as some of y'all don't get it.

MM used a good bit of 4 WR in GB. Why? Because his running backs sucked.

4 WR sets will take your RB off the field. This is basic math. Your #1 TE ain't coming off, so 4 WR = 0 RB. I know many on this board don't understand math but this is pretty straightforward. 5 OL + 1 TE + 1 QB = 7 players. 11-7 = 4. You have 4 spots to allocate between WR and RB. Count it out on your fingers if you need to. When you hit 4 WR, you get to 0 RB.

Folks on this board whined like spoiled children last year if Zeke came out for a single snap ... but now you are calling for him to be on the bench so we can get Smith snaps?

I think we go Zeke, Gallup, Cooper, CD + Jarwin as our base, but Jarwin is the first guy off the field for me. He's the clear 5th man who gets rotated with Pollard, Smith, maybe Olawale.

Jarwin probably gets preference over the others for short yardage or 3rd down, but open field 1st and 2nd, it's all up to matchups. I'd rather go with Pollard as a RB/WR than Jarwin at TE. Supposedly Pollard blocks pretty well too, which hopefully ends the waste of space known as Noah Brown.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i'll have to look back at MM's offense again, but i dunno if i saw a lot of 4 WR formations But it is vital to have a capable enough 4th WR that can fill in adequately when/if one of the three WRs get banged up for an extended period.

Cooper, Gallup, and CD should all be on the field as our base offense, but for injuries and resting.

If we want to continue with the same 3 wide when they're out, someone has to take those WR snaps. I'm surprised they didn't bring in someone. The only guy on our roster now who could credibly take those snaps is Smith.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think we go Zeke, Gallup, Cooper, CD + Jarwin as our base, but Jarwin is the first guy off the field for me. He's the clear 5th man who gets rotated with Pollard, Smith, maybe Olawale.

Jarwin probably gets preference over the others for short yardage or 3rd down, but open field 1st and 2nd, it's all up to matchups. I'd rather go with Pollard as a RB/WR than Jarwin at TE. Supposedly Pollard blocks pretty well too, which hopefully ends the waste of space known as Noah Brown.

No. Your #1 TE is not off base O.

You have to have a guy who at least represents a nominal blocking barrier. He's not that great at it you can't abandon that on the line. Teams would literally have rushers with running starts. No way you keep an RB in to handle that. He'd sometimes have 280 guys barreling down. RBs can blow up the occasional LB or blitzing DB but without even a TE chip, you've got an impossible blocking assignment

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cooper, Gallup, and CD should all be on the field as our base offense, but for injuries and resting.

If we want to continue with the same 3 wide when they're out, someone has to take those WR snaps. I'm surprised they didn't bring in someone. The only guy on our roster now who could credibly take those snaps is Smith.

Why would a team seek to bring someone in who projects to 0 snaps a game if the top 3 are healthy?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No. Your #1 TE is not off base O.

You have to have a guy who at least represents a nominal blocking barrier.

That's simply false as a matter of historical fact. You can go run and gun. You can go RB, FB, and 3 wide. You don't have to put a TE on the field. Simply not true.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I couldn't justify in my mind why a WR with so much speed could be so needlessly wasted. Turns out it was just an eternal JG brain fart.:lmao:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That's simply false as a matter of historical fact. You can go run and gun. You can go RB, FB, and 3 wide. You don't have to put a TE on the field. Simply not true.

Yes. Let's use an offensive system that defenses figured out 20+ years ago.

That stuff worked back in the day when most defenses were about size and your front seven were generally slow, plodding players.

You try that nonsense now and there will be an athletic 250 pound linebacker planting your QB into the turf on most plays.

quickccc

Reaction score
i'd like to see how Devin smith

- Maybe the new staff and current scouting/player dept really likes Devin Smith that much to
stay with what he brings.

- And maybe they were also optimistic with what another speedster Jonvea Johnson could
bring in his 2nd year to take another long look at him as a 4th or 5th WR.

- Plus they still have all summer to not only look and evaluate at what they have, including
the undrafted rookie WRs, that were apparently still on their board, even with the draft over.
There could be a surprise emergence from one of the 3 WRs.
But they could always scowl the waiver wire in the final cuts the closer it gets to reg season.
That could result in getting a surprise WR vet cut that could a bargain price too. or a coveted rookie
WR from another NFL team,
:cool:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i'd like to see how Devin smith

- Maybe the new staff and current scouting/player dept really likes Devin Smith that much to
stay with what he brings.

- And maybe they were also optimistic with what another speedster Jonvea Johnson could
bring in his 2nd year to take another long look at him as a 4th or 5th WR.

- Plus they still have all summer to not only look and evaluate at what they have, including
the undrafted rookie WRs, that were apparently still on their board, even with the draft over.
There could be a surprise emergence from one of the 3 WRs.
But they could always scowl the waiver wire in the final cuts the closer it gets to reg season.
That could result in getting a surprise WR vet cut that could a bargain price too. or a coveted rookie
WR from another NFL team,
:cool:

Yep to all, particularly the fallback to getting a veteran cap casualty or someone let go on final cuts. Or two.

All WRs after Cooper/Gallup/CD/Smith are totally cuttable. Even Smith, if they find a veteran they like better.

Despite the *promise* Smith showed last year, he's a short timer we have no reason to be attached to if we find a better option for that role. Unless he gives us a reason. I'd prefer they offer Smith a cheap extension *before* we give him significant snaps. We should make these kinds of offers as a matter of course to players who we're thinking about giving an expanded role in a contract season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes. Let's use an offensive system that defenses figured out 20+ years ago.

That stuff worked back in the day when most defenses were about size and your front seven were generally slow, plodding players.

You try that nonsense now and there will be an athletic 250 pound linebacker planting your QB into the turf on most plays.

Odd that teams still play 4 WR sets. If only they had you on staff to explain to them that it inevitably fails.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One TD for a bomb to never be seen from again.......

Exactly........maybe he's not a good practice player or work ethic. Not sure what it is but fans/poster keep raving about his talent but he's obviously not impressing the coaches.

Aven8

Reaction score
Exactly........maybe he's not a good practice player or work ethic. Not sure what it is but fans/poster keep raving about his talent but he's obviously not impressing the coaches.

The fact is I think he can only run the fly route.

mmohican29

Reaction score
To be frank, I'm not sure bringing back Tavon Austin wouldn't be the better option for this club with the 3 WR's who will be on the field 85% of the time.

Tavon just offers more versatility for a player who will play very limited snaps and can provide a spark in the return game.