News: Devin Smith’s unique skill set could prove invaluable in 2020

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Okay, great. Using one game to assess a player's skill.

That was about the only game where he saw significant snaps. He's had a few other games where he put up good numbers. But those are the real outliers. He's been in the league long enough to see his body of work and invaluable is not even close to how one would describe his performance. No excuses, when it's time for you to step up you need to do it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
One TD for a bomb to never be seen from again.......

Smith doesn't get to play himself, we haven't seen the real reason they didn't play him after the Saints game. When you see the stuff come out about an Amari Cooper-Sanjay Lal right right after the season you have to think there was some non-performance reason that Smith played well in two games and then never saw the field for the last 12 games.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That was about the only game where he saw significant snaps. He's had a few other games where he put up good numbers. But those are the real outliers. He's been in the league long enough to see his body of work and invaluable is not even close to how one would describe his performance. No excuses, when it's time for you to step up you need to do it.

He had 28 targets as a rookie and then missed most or all of the next three seasons with injuries. I wouldn't call that a "body of work". IMO the real issues are his heath and if he beats out the other WRs for playing time.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had 28 targets as a rookie and then missed most or all of the next three seasons with injuries. I wouldn't call that a "body of work". IMO the real issues are his heath and if he beats out the other WRs for playing time.

His health is part of it. 5 years 18 games with 15 catches. he's had plenty of potential and opportunity and it all amounts to the big health questions.

Kaiser

Reaction score
His health is part of it. 5 years 18 games with 15 catches. he's had plenty of potential and opportunity and it all amounts to the big health questions.

For sure, and maybe that was part of the reason he didn't play in the last 3/4ths of the season. The guy is still an enigma at this point but we did see the flashes early on that he could contribute.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
The biggest problem Smith has going for him is you want your 4th WR (ideally) to be able to play specials; and if memory serves he doesn’t play the gunner spot on punts and doesn’t run down on the kickoff team.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Let me say this again as some of y'all don't get it.

MM used a good bit of 4 WR in GB. Why? Because his running backs sucked.

4 WR sets will take your RB off the field. This is basic math. Your #1 TE ain't coming off, so 4 WR = 0 RB. I know many on this board don't understand math but this is pretty straightforward. 5 OL + 1 TE + 1 QB = 7 players. 11-7 = 4. You have 4 spots to allocate between WR and RB. Count it out on your fingers if you need to. When you hit 4 WR, you get to 0 RB.

Folks on this board whined like spoiled children last year if Zeke came out for a single snap ... but now you are calling for him to be on the bench so we can get Smith snaps?

People "whined" when Zeke took himself out after every other rush.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Devin Smith. There just aren't enough footballs to go around. He's stuck in the 4th WR spot at best. I was hoping last year we could have showcased him a little so he had some market value.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
People "whined" when Zeke took himself out after every other rush.

What an ignorant post.

In the games that people complained the loudest about - Zeke literally played all but one or two snaps.

He played 84% of the teams total offensive snaps with the VAST majority of time off the field being in games where we had managed a blow out.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For sure, and maybe that was part of the reason he didn't play in the last 3/4ths of the season. The guy is still an enigma at this point but we did see the flashes early on that he could contribute.

Agreed. he looked good in camp.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The biggest problem Smith has going for him is you want your 4th WR (ideally) to be able to play specials; and if memory serves he doesn’t play the gunner spot on punts and doesn’t run down on the kickoff team.

He played Gunner in college at Ohio State. He didn't play ST for the Jets but he was only there one season, he was a high draft pick and ..... its the Jets.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
if he has special teams ability, then I am all in....but I think sacrificing one area, for a player that may get a 100 snaps on the year or just in case of injury is not a good idea....do you take all of that into consideration? yes as part of the decision making process and how much better is he relative to the 5th guy on the roster

In certain instances I agree. But not with Smith. He is simply too good a receiver. He can really make our 4 WR sets (two minute, end of game, comeback, hurry up stuff) near unstoppable and provide that deep threat. And if one of the 3 big receivers goes down, which will happen, he can fill right in and do well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In certain instances I agree. But not with Smith. He is simply too good a receiver. He can really make our 4 WR sets (two minute, end of game, comeback, hurry up stuff) near unstoppable and provide that deep threat. And if one of the 3 big receivers goes down, which will happen, he can fill right in and do well.
we said the same thing about Austin, who was a speed demon. Galloway was a speed demon and he actually had some successful years prior......... and none of those worked out so well. he just doesn't have any stats to backup any assumptions except for his college tape and he was injured for two years...I think that's more Madden football than real football.....given those, he has to be a good special teamer so that not to waste a roster spot.

plus in many of those situations you can run the 2 minute, end of game, etc. with Jarwin, Pollard and having a possession WR, given CD, AC and gallup have deep speed......

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
we said the same thing about Austin, who was a speed demon. Galloway was a speed demon and he actually had some successful years prior......... and none of those worked out so well. he just doesn't have any stats to backup any assumptions except for his college tape and he was injured for two years...I think that's more Madden football than real football.....given those, he has to be a good special teamer so that not to waste a roster spot.

plus in many of those situations you can run the 2 minute, end of game, etc. with Jarwin, Pollard and having a possession WR, given CD, AC and gallup have deep speed......

WE never said anything about Austin.

If you think Smith sucks, just say so.

Smith made the team last year and did he play special teams? #4 WR is even more important in MM's offense. 4 and even 5 WR sets will be more prevalent.

Jarwin? Thanks for mentioning that. So what happens if Jarwin gets dinged up? You going to put Shultz in there to catch passes or you going to the 4 WR set with Smith?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It happens when the coaches are idiots.

Idiots no longer employed here.

:dance:

Ask him to show you the stats from the other bench WR's last year.

Smith was also the leading WR in preseason for the Cowboys. He was clearly the best bench WR last year other than Austin. Austin is gone.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
What an ignorant post.

In the games that people complained the loudest about - Zeke literally played all but one or two snaps.

He played 84% of the teams total offensive snaps with the VAST majority of time off the field being in games where we had managed a blow out.
Ok, you're right. You clearly live on this board and read every post. I'm sorry I ever disagreed with you oh wise and powerful voice of Cowboys Nation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Devin Smith 2019
5-9 113yds 4 first downs, 1 TD, 0 drops, 12.6 ypt 137.5 QB rating when targeted
On the targets we gave him, he was *fantastic*. It was a crime that we sat him for most of the season. Cost us the Jets game.

With CD, we should be going 3 wide as our base. That means 3 WR starters need backup and rest. I'm surprised that they haven't gone out and gotten a veteran for that, but maybe they plan on using Smith.