Dez 16.5M for 2018

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be only used in spot duty. I would be ok with that at a vastly reduced salary. But this every down bull**** is for the birds.
Who replaces him this season? Hanna is just not a natural pass catcher or route runner. Swaim has better hands than Hanna but is limited athletically.

I had hoped Rico could push for some playing time as a receiving TE.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh really? That is pennies for a HOF TE if you're correct. Take Witten off!:D We do need to draft/sign a #1 TE high next season; can only be o nice about it for so long, etc. My argument is more that we aren't aggressive in FA and if we had shown that we know what to do with those funds, I would be more open to chopping that number or moving Dez. I'm not cutting Dez so SJ can justify 10 crap FAs from the bargain bin dollar store.

I agree that their free agent signings are a concern.
Paea - How did they miss the knee issue?

Thorton - It seemed like a good signing. With Philly he had played really well against Zack Martin and was really good against the run. He appeared to lose weight before he arrived here. I guess getting paid caused him to mail it in.

Carroll - They couldn't predict a concussion. He played well in game 1 and terrible in the 1st half of game 2 then got the concussion.

I would still take a chance on an Alshon Jeffery type (1 year, 9.5M) and draft a WR early.

I would look at free agency for a LB because 4-3 LBs tend to be available and cost way less than DEs, CBs and WRs. Use early picks on the expensive positions.

Verdict

Reaction score
Who replaces him this season? Hanna is just not a natural pass catcher or route runner. Swaim has better hands than Hanna but is limited athletically.

I had hoped Rico could push for some playing time as a receiving TE.

Hanna should play over him. Hanna is a much better blocker with good speed. I'm not sure why anyone would say he isn'y a natural pass catcher or route runner. He hasn't been targeted very much because of Mr. Runs In Quicksand.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hanna should play over him. Hanna is a much better blocker with good speed. I'm not sure why anyone would say he isn'y a natural pass catcher or route runner. He hasn't been targeted very much because of Mr. Runs In Quicksand.

I say that because I study the games. I had hopes for Hanna and he was a bit of a pet cat at one time, but he just never had success catching contested balls.

Average yards per reception:
Witten 10.9
Hanna 9.2

Verdict

Reaction score
I say that because I study the games. I had hopes for Hanna and he was a bit of a pet cat at one time, but he just never had success catching contested balls.

Average yards per reception:
Witten 10.9
Hanna 9.2

I don't think that stat means much. Witten really isn't even hardly guarded. He is tackled at the point he catches the ball almost every time. Hanna must be accounted for with his speed.

Having said that it is hard to know exactly what Hanna can and cannot do catching the ball because of the small sample size. I know one thing for sure. I would be getting him the ball more this season to know what he can do because if he can't get it done (and Rico is damaged goods) then we will have to draft one or get another one to replace Witten next year. Witten is done.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

The bigger thing ive noticed with Witten is he seems to go down at first contact with a defender most if not all of the time. We are talking guys that he out weights by 50lbs or so. As much as I love the guy in some ways he is holding the offense back.

Verdict

Reaction score
The bigger thing ive noticed with Witten is he seems to go down at first contact with a defender most if not all of the time. We are talking guys that he out weights by 50lbs or so. As much as I love the guy in some ways he is holding the offense back.

Witten is great at getting 8 yards when we need 10.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has always done that.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dez is overpaid....what else is new?

The fact is that he IS our best receiver. He is our best red zone receiver, and he is the only receiver on the team that can draw a safety behind him so the corner can press him. He’s not going anywhere, but it is time to find his eventual replacement.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Regardless how we as fans feel about Dez, I'm pretty sure he STILL highly respected around the league by his peers and defensive coor. In fact, I'm pretty sure HE more the Butler is a major part defensive coordinator game planning. In other words, they have to account for Dez, whereas I doubt as much planning, if any, is done for Butler, which might explain his HIGHER completion percentage (LOL).

Reaction score
No trade value due to the contract.

Dak has put the ball in perfect position many times and Dez dropped it. If the ball hits an NFL WR in both hands, he should catch it.

Yeah,,, I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing many times that the ball is put in a 50/50 spot or just thrown in the general direction. To be fair, it's hard to say who is to blame on missed passes.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Honestly, I think they would be better without him. They waste too many passes trying to get him the ball and he'll meltdown if they don't.

There are mid tier free agents every year that would be an improvement. Pierre Garcon for instance.
You might be right.

Unfortunately we would end up playing whatever team he went to and he'd stick 150 yards and three touchdowns on us :mad:

triplets92

Reaction score
I think they could use the 16.5M more effectively.

Stupid post. You can literally take any receiver in the NFL mash together plays where they dropped passes and make it look as if they’re the worst player in the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah,,, I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing many times that the ball is put in a 50/50 spot or just thrown in the general direction. To be fair, it's hard to say who is to blame on missed passes.
Butler is 8 of 11 with the same QB and always runs the low percentage go routes.

TWill is 19 of 25 with the same QB and he has hands the size of some 5th graders.

Dez is 21 of 48.