Dez 16.5M for 2018

RomoFor6

Reaction score
I keep mentioning this, but Hopkins would be an absolute perfect fit for Dak. Best hands in the league, chain mover, runs good routes. He's like a more physical Marvin Harrison. Too bad we can't tie up that much money in the position but f we somehow get rid of Dez I'd love Hopkins. A man can dream lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep mentioning this, but Hopkins would be an absolute perfect fit for Dak. Best hands in the league, chain mover, runs good routes. He's like a more physical Marvin Harrison. Too bad we can't tie up that much money in the position but f we somehow get rid of Dez I'd love Hopkins. A man can dream lol
Hopkins just signed a new contract in August.

LittleD

Reaction score
Dez will play out his contract. JJ is emotionally attached to him and his de facto father figure. He has Dez’s POA. His contract was not re-worked for cap savings for a reason. When the contract is up, then JJ will have to make a tough decision to make. At that point JJ can walk away if he has to.

I doubt you and history is my guide. Jerry had to walk away from Ware, Romo and countless other of his guys. Next year it will be Witten and Dez. You have to keep
getting younger in the NFL in order to compete. He let two of his championship triplets go while they could probably play. It's always better to let a great player go a year
early than a year late.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Everyone on the board speaks of Witten slowing down. He has and now you see Dez doing the same thing. He can't run great routes, never has, and he's
not able to create separation. The NFL is changing and slow footed, lumbering WR just don't succeed as they get older. We need more young, fast, and quick
receivers and the money we are paying Dez can be used to get them.
You answered your own question

Dez should take over Witten's routes on the inside...... Dez is too fast for LBs and too strong for Safeties.... a glorified non-blocking TE

Dez can play for 5-6 more years as a redzone, first down player..... someone like Anquan Boldin at the end of his career

Obviously it won't be for 12m a year but if he wants to stay in DAL he takes a paycut

LittleD

Reaction score

Dez should take over Witten's routes on the inside...... Dez is too fast for LBs and too strong for Safeties.... a glorified non-blocking TE

Dez can play for 5-6 more years as a redzone, first down player..... someone like Anquan Boldin at the end of his career

Obviously it won't be for 12m a year but if he wants to stay in DAL he takes a paycut

Players hardly ever take a pay cut to stay with the same team. Ware didn't and in truth very few Dallas players stay if presented with a pay cut. Dez will likely get
better offers from another bottom basement team. Just the nature of the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
78/954/4 ........that was Hopkins line last year and he has an 18m cap hit
Dez is getting an extreme number of opportunities this year.

Dez 21 of 48, 269 yrds 3 td, 43% catch rate
Butler 8 of 11, 207 yrds 2 td, 73% catch rate

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is more chances of INTs on the inside when he runs the wrong route.

Why try to force it with him? For his salary, they could get somebody better..

canters

Reaction score
I doubt you and history is my guide. Jerry had to walk away from Ware, Romo and countless other of his guys. Next year it will be Witten and Dez. You have to keep
getting younger in the NFL in order to compete. He let two of his championship triplets go while they could probably play. It's always better to let a great player go a year
early than a year late.
His relationship with Dez is different from that of Ware. Romo retired as will Witten. You are correct as to youth and this league. But Dez will not retire at 31 unless he gets hurt or it is obvious to him he is done. I think JJ feels an attachment to Dez.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Players hardly ever take a pay cut to stay with the same team. Ware didn't and in truth very few Dallas players stay if presented with a pay cut. Dez will likely get
better offers from another bottom basement team. Just the nature of the NFL.
Dez has a comfort zone here with Jerry that won't be duplicated anywhere else

I see him as a DAL lifer

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
His relationship with Dez is different from that of Ware. Romo retired as will Witten. You are correct as to youth and this league. But Dez will not retire at 31 unless he gets hurt or it is obvious to him he is done. I think JJ feels an attachment to Dez.
He just won't bet the diva, go route, big money WR any more....which is fine by everyone I think except xwalker

Verdict

Reaction score
What has Garrett accomplished in your estimation? And why would you support him in the future?

I don't think Garrett is ALWAYS as ****** as we make him out to be. Let's go back to last year. He lost his starting QB (Romo) for the year. He never plays one active down for us during the regular season.

We take a "project QB" that none of the fans expected anything out of last year. Not even the most optimistic pan could have reasonably expected we would get that level of QB play out of him. We win 13 games and should have won 14 but one of them really didn't matter because the playoff seed was locked up. We win that many games with no ******* defense whatsoever.

Garrett inherited a team in cap hell, old players, disgruntled players and no real talent to speak of other than a couple of vets like Romo, Witten and Dez. We had zero OL.

Garrett has accomplished getting Jerry to exercise some degree of patience, build through the draft, and jettisoned old piss poor contract players. We have stopped trying to overpay for players in free agency. All of that is good stuff.

If The Hoodie had done the same thing here it would be viewed very differently. The Hoodie would have been viewed as a magician for the season we had last year with a rookie QB. The legend would be growing exponentially.

The problems are also there. We seem to be sentimental with players like Witten and Dez who have bloated under performing contracts. We seem to be letting Witten decide how much he wants to play which is every down.

More bad? Garrett doesn't over ride bad play calling at inopportune times by Linehan. It's critical failures like that that keep Garrett from getting to the next level of coaching.

And the defense? I can get behind blowing up the defense and save the cap hit if that's what they wanted to do. What I can't get behind is the defenses failure to be aggressive and take a few chances instead of giving up small chunks all day against good teams.

Marinelli needs to go. He is only here because he developed a reputation based on hall of fame players he had under him. I don't think he is aggressive enough and he hangs on to players with zero talent (Hayden) because they have a high motor. Hell I will get out there and try hard all day if they will pay me millions to do it, but that won't get is very far.

Verdict

Reaction score
I've spoken about a dozen times on here about Witten and his decline. The guy is going to retire after this year

He should be only used in spot duty. I would be ok with that at a vastly reduced salary. But this every down bull**** is for the birds.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Witten just has high cap number because of restructuring. He was always underpaid in his prime years.

Witten's career average pay per year has been 4.2 million. That for one of the all-time great TEs in the history of football and one of the all-time great Cowboys players.
Oh really? That is pennies for a HOF TE if you're correct. Take Witten off!:D I was using Witten bc our fanbase and the emotional tie allowing him to be overlooked in the "call out" sessions, etc.

We do need to draft/sign a #1 TE high next season; can only be so nice about it for so long, etc. My argument is more that we aren't aggressive in FA and if we had shown that we know what to do with those funds, I would be more open to chopping that number or moving Dez. I'm not cutting Dez so SJ can justify 10 crap FAs from the bargain bin dollar store.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
He will get cut, if not this offseason the following. Dallas said it didnt want to be paying him into his 30s. Dez isnt worth the headache if you ask me. Yes he will give you a couple games where he just dominates but he's being paid to do that every week. Not just a couple times a yr.

He dominates against JAGs