Dez Bryant: Best in the NFL?

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Looking at his stats compared to the other top receivers, he did far more with less targets.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Well I was gonna say he's the Bestest in 2014 but xwalker said he's weak minded so I just don't know anymore...:(

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Love Dez but for me to put him as the best receiver in the game he's going to have to show up a lot better in the playoffs than he did in 2014. Yes he had a what would have been a huge play reversed but 6 official catches for 86 yards and no TD's is not going to cut it for a player who put up a franchise record 16 TD's during the regular season. What made Irvin a great receiver is he produced during the regular season and postseason. Jerry Rice is one of the only receivers to have a better postseason record than Irvin. To be the best in my book you have to get it done when it matters most.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Love Dez but for me to put him as the best receiver in the game he's going to have to show up a lot better in the playoffs than he did in 2014. Yes he had a what would have been a huge play reversed but 6 official catches for 86 yards and no TD's is not going to cut it for a player who put up a franchise record 16 TD's during the regular season. What made Irvin a great receiver is he produced during the regular season and postseason. Jerry Rice is one of the only receivers to have a better postseason record than Irvin. To be the best in my book you have to get it done when it matters most.

Dez has played in 2 playoff games. The first two playoff games Irvin played in weren't spectacular either.

Hard to even compare due to the lack of actual playoff experience Dez has.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dez has played in 2 playoff games. The first two playoff games Irvin played in weren't spectacular either.

Hard to even compare due to the lack of actual playoff experience Dez has.

Irvin had 9 catches for 167 yards in his first 2 playoff games which well out produced Dez in his first 2 playoff games. In a game the Cowboys got blown out in Detroit Irvin's number were comparable to what Dez produced in his 2 playoff games. Like I said I love Dez but he didn't show up in the playoffs and Twill who gets accused of disappearing did.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Irvin had 9 catches for 167 yards in his first 2 playoff games which well out produced Dez in his first 2 playoff games. In a game the Cowboys got blown out in Detroit Irvin's number were comparable to what Dez produced in his 2 playoff games. Like I said I love Dez but he didn't show up in the playoffs and Twill who gets accused of disappearing did.

Dez caught 6 of his 7 postseason targets. The one he didn't catch....he actually caught.

Not sure how he is supposed to do more than catch everything thrown his way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dez caught 6 of his 7 postseason targets. The one he didn't catch....he actually caught.

He wasn't targeted more because Dez continues having trouble separating which is why he has to win a lot of jump ball battles. The Cowboys enter every game trying to get him the ball but he wasn't open much. He wasn't even open on the reversed call he won a jump ball battle. Romo entered the playoffs trying to avoid turnovers which has been his Achilles heel in the playoffs. He made sure not to force balls to Dez until the closing minutes of the Packers game when it was getting down to do or die.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Imagine Dez in a scheme that had just a little creativity.

He would set records and probably win league MVP's.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He wasn't targeted more because Dez continues having trouble separating. He wasn't even open on the reversed call he won a jump ball battle. Romo entered the playoffs trying to avoid turnovers which has been his Achilles heel in the playoffs. He made sure not to force balls to Dez until the closing minutes of the Packers game when it was getting down to do or die.

Poppycock.

I admire Romo's focus on efficiency. But this team needs to do a better job getting Dez looks. Dez is not a liability in his route running. This is a case of Romo simply going to mismatches verses forcing it to Dez who sees double teams on virtually every snap.

And if you have a WR who can win jump ball battles so consistently (don't forget the Houston game)...then sometimes you should...you know...throw him a jump ball.

But the facts remain He caught every ball thrown his way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Poppycock.

I admire Romo's focus on efficiency. But this team needs to do a better job getting Dez looks. Dez is not a liability in his route running. This is a case of Romo simply going to mismatches verses forcing it to Dez who sees double teams on virtually every snap.

And if you have a WR who can win jump ball battles so consistently (don't forget the Houston game)...then sometimes you should...you know...throw him a jump ball.

Dez has to win a lot of jump ball battles because he has trouble separating. He receives a lot of attention and it's hard for him to beat double coverage so Romo has to throw a number of balls up to him and allow him to win the battle. Jump balls aren't always going to be successful they can turn into mistakes especially in the playoffs. Dez needs to have more balls thrown his way in the playoffs but he needs to get open.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
He's in the conversation for best, and I'm happy with that.

Julio Jones, AJ green, Antonio Brown, DT are right with him. Just depends on the type of player you want.

And Mike Evans, Beckham Jr, and Watkins are young guys who will be up there in good company soon.

You forgot Calvin

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Imagine Dez in a scheme that had just a little creativity.

He would set records and probably win league MVP's.

What? It would be the LACK of creativity that would give Dez the ball more. You know, like Linehan's time in Detroit.

Him catching over 100 balls doesn't mean our offense is clicking, it means we are feeding our #1 WR the ball without going through reads. Sorry, but I'd rather have the offense we have now than having Romo turn into Stafford.

Not sure what you're talking about, at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Poppycock.

Put that on the coaches.

Peyton Manning likes to spread the ball too but if they want to get the ball in Demaryius Thomas's hands they will hit you with legal pick plays and bubble screens until you back off of him and give him space.

Dez is the best receiver in the league with the ball in his hands but for some reason Dallas must complicate things and try to draw up all of these plays to get him the ball downfield.

Just get him the DANG BALL! He can take short passes to the house all day if they will just let him because he is dangerous with just a bit of space and almost impossible for 1 DB to bring down.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Depends on one's opinion of whether it's reasonable to expect Dez to defeat double-teams more often and find ways to get open.

I see other WRs defeat double-teams, however, I'm not sure the Cowboy's offense is structured to make it happen for Dez as often.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What? It would be the LACK of creativity that would give Dez the ball more. You know, like Linehan's time in Detroit.

Him catching over 100 balls doesn't mean our offense is clicking, it means we are feeding our #1 WR the ball without going through reads. Sorry, but I'd rather have the offense we have now than having Romo turn into Stafford.

Not sure what you're talking about, at all.

Im not saying turn Romo into Stafford.

Im saying use wrinkles that other teams around the league are spamming because those plays work so well against the current NFL rules that don't allow DB's to be physical at all.

Im 100% against airing it out like we have in the past. I just want to make teams pay that load up the box and load up on stopping Dez.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Depends on one's opinion of whether it's reasonable to expect Dez to defeat double-teams more often and find ways to get open.

I see other WRs defeat double-teams, however, I'm not sure the Cowboy's offense is structured to make it happen for Dez as often.

Dez has been top 10ish in receptions for the last 3 years. And usually off of being top 5 by a handful of receptions. He "beats" double teams as frequently as any. Romo to his credit (and slight detriment) is not going to force the ball to Dez. Go watch a Cincy game and the shameful way they force the ball repeatedly to Green. Their offense suffers for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Go watch a Cincy game and the shameful way they force the ball repeatedly to Green. Their offense suffers for it.

That's due to Dalton being an average NFL QB and Green being Cincy's best offensive player and their big play threat.

Last edited:

windjc

Reaction score
When you look at the last 8 games of the season, wasn't Odell Beckham Jr. the best WR in the league? I mean, it was much more than a couple of circus catches. The guy racked up over 1150 yards in the last 9 games.

Now, its a short sample size, but should we leave him out of the conversation because he was a rookie? What's going to slow him down in 2015?

perrykemp

Reaction score
When you look at the last 8 games of the season, wasn't Odell Beckham Jr. the best WR in the league? I mean, it was much more than a couple of circus catches. The guy racked up over 1150 yards in the last 9 games.

Now, its a short sample size, but should we leave him out of the conversation because he was a rookie? What's going to slow him down in 2015?

Odell Beckum was the most productive WR in the NFL on a per game basis and certainly over the last 8 games of the season.