Dez Bryant: Best in the NFL?

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
http://www.fantasysportswarehouse.com/nfl/2015/05/25/dez-bryant-best-receiver-game/

An article I wrote on Dez, and why I think he is the best in the NFL.

I don't disagree with you on Dez. However, from a writing perspective get rid of these words "in my opinion", "I think", and the dreaded "I feel" and all variants of that. Don't put up weakness in your writing. All of those words quoted make the words YOU are typing look weak. Let's look at a bit of that article with a few changes, and compare .

There is always the question of who the best wide receiver in the league really is. As a Cowboys fan, my opinion is pretty obvious. In my opinion There really isn’t a wide receiver in the league who can compare to Dez. At this point, the closest for me would be is Antonio Brown. People may ask Why I say Brown over Megatron,? and the answer to that question is Injuries. Megatron’s body and style of play basically hurt him. He is literally too big, after a while the knocks and hits taken in today’s NFL take their toll, and we saw that last season. I would actually say this season may be even worse for Calvin Johnson. They lost two core players on defense, and their pass rush will suffer in that regard, no defense creates a need for more offense, and that means more use of Megatron, I don’t think it will NOT end well. I’m rambling here, back to Dez Bryant. We are talking about a man who has grown significantly since he came into the league, and we are talking about an athletic FREAK, who can do it all. He is arguably the best end zone threat in the league, going up for a jump ball against him is almost impossible to defend, and if he gets into space, you may as well pack it in because he is going to the house. He can take over games with his size and speed, just ask Philadelphia and Bradley Fletcher. He led all receivers last season with 16 touchdowns, and remember, this was in a run first offense. He also leads all receivers in touchdowns over the last five seasons with 56. Those are some incredible stats.

Learn to make those kind of edits your article looks like this:

There is always the question of who the best wide receiver in the league really is. There really isn’t a wide receiver in the league who can compare to Dez. At this point, the closest is Antonio Brown. Why Brown over Megatron? Injuries. Megatron’s body and style of play basically hurt him. He is literally too big, and after a while the knocks and hits taken in today’s NFL take their toll. We saw that last season. This season could be even worse for Calvin Johnson. They lost two core players on defense, and their pass rush will suffer in that regard. No defense creates a need for more offense, and that means more use of Megatron. iIt will NOT end well. I’m rambling here, back to Dez Bryant. We are talking about a man who has grown significantly since he came into the league, and we are talking about an athletic FREAK who can do it all. He is arguably the best end zone threat in the league. Going up for a jump ball against him is almost impossible to defend, and if he gets into space, you may as well pack it in because he is going to the house. He can take over games with his size and speed, just ask Philadelphia and Bradley Fletcher. He led all receivers last season with 16 touchdowns, and remember, this was in a run first offense. He also leads all receivers in touchdowns over the last five seasons with 56. Those are some incredible stats.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you on Dez. However, from a writing perspective get rid of these words "in my opinion", "I think", and the dreaded "I feel" and all variants of that. Don't put up weakness in your writing. All of those words quoted make the words YOU are typing look weak. Let's look at a bit of that article with a few changes, and compare .

There is always the question of who the best wide receiver in the league really is. As a Cowboys fan, my opinion is pretty obvious. In my opinion There really isn’t a wide receiver in the league who can compare to Dez. At this point, the closest for me would be is Antonio Brown. People may ask Why I say Brown over Megatron,? and the answer to that question is Injuries. Megatron’s body and style of play basically hurt him. He is literally too big, after a while the knocks and hits taken in today’s NFL take their toll, and we saw that last season. I would actually say this season may be even worse for Calvin Johnson. They lost two core players on defense, and their pass rush will suffer in that regard, no defense creates a need for more offense, and that means more use of Megatron, I don’t think it will NOT end well. I’m rambling here, back to Dez Bryant. We are talking about a man who has grown significantly since he came into the league, and we are talking about an athletic FREAK, who can do it all. He is arguably the best end zone threat in the league, going up for a jump ball against him is almost impossible to defend, and if he gets into space, you may as well pack it in because he is going to the house. He can take over games with his size and speed, just ask Philadelphia and Bradley Fletcher. He led all receivers last season with 16 touchdowns, and remember, this was in a run first offense. He also leads all receivers in touchdowns over the last five seasons with 56. Those are some incredible stats.

There is always the question of who the best wide receiver in the league really is. There really isn’t a wide receiver in the league who can compare to Dez. At this point, the closest is Antonio Brown. Why Brown over Megatron? Injuries. Megatron’s body and style of play basically hurt him. He is literally too big, and after a while the knocks and hits taken in today’s NFL take their toll. We saw that last season. This season could be even worse for Calvin Johnson. They lost two core players on defense, and their pass rush will suffer in that regard. No defense creates a need for more offense, and that means more use of Megatron. iIt will NOT end well. I’m rambling here, back to Dez Bryant. We are talking about a man who has grown significantly since he came into the league, and we are talking about an athletic FREAK who can do it all. He is arguably the best end zone threat in the league. Going up for a jump ball against him is almost impossible to defend, and if he gets into space, you may as well pack it in because he is going to the house. He can take over games with his size and speed, just ask Philadelphia and Bradley Fletcher. He led all receivers last season with 16 touchdowns, and remember, this was in a run first offense. He also leads all receivers in touchdowns over the last five seasons with 56. Those are some incredible stats.

Wow thanks a lot man. I'm just starting out. So it's very much appreciated

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks a lot man. I'm just starting out. So it's very much appreciated

I don't mind. I used to write professionally, and have always appreciated a good editor. I stopped that career, because I was tired of eating Top Ramen most weeks. With writing one will always think they have put together a masterpiece, and it may be. One always needs an editor. The little flaws, you, me , or anyone else may not see, will always be there for someone else to notice. Keep it up. You're on the right track. It's a good article. Just trying to give a couple of pointers.

/Go Dez!
//Go Cowboys!

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Final edit would be:

There is always the question of who the best wide receiver in the league is? There isn’t a wide receiver in the league who can compare to Dez. The closest is Antonio Brown. Why Brown over Megatron? Injuries. Megatron’s body and style of play hurt him. He is too big, and after a while the knocks and hits take a toll in today's NFL. We saw that last season. This season could be even worse for Calvin Johnson. They lost two core players on defense, and their pass rush will suffer in that regard. Weak defense creates a need for more offense, and that means more use of Megatron. It will NOT end well. I’m rambling here, back to Dez Bryant. We are talking about a man who has grown significantly since he came into the league. We are talking about an athletic FREAK who can do it all. He is arguably the best end zone threat in the league. Going up for a jump ball against him is almost impossible to defend, and if he gets into space you may as well pack it in. He is going to the house. He can take over games with his size and speed. Just ask Philadelphia and Bradley Fletcher. He led all receivers last season with 16 touchdowns in a run first offense. He also leads all receivers in touchdowns over the last five seasons with 56. Those are some incredible stats

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
When you look at the last 8 games of the season, wasn't Odell Beckham Jr. the best WR in the league? I mean, it was much more than a couple of circus catches. The guy racked up over 1150 yards in the last 9 games.

Now, its a short sample size, but should we leave him out of the conversation because he was a rookie? What's going to slow him down in 2015?

There's a big reason why Beckham Jr. shouldn't be considered the best. It's not the idea of his season being a fluke, but rather the idea that defenses really didn't adjust to him.

We saw this with Dez. The last 8 games of 2012 for Dez were similar to OBJ's last 9 (breakout periods)

Dez: 109yds/GM, 1.25 TDs/GM caught right under 70% of his targets
OBJ: 133 yds/GM, 1 TD/GM caught right under 70% of his targets

When you break it down to catch/target averages, Dez is actually ahead as OBJ was targeted a ridiculous amount of times-- he would have been the most targeted receiver on record if extrapolated over a full 16 games.

Not to make this a comparison, but we all know what happened to the unstoppable Dez Bryant after 2012-- team's actually committed to stopping him and the fabled 2000 yard 25 TD season didn't happen and likely never will.

OBJ was not treated like Dez, or AJ, or DT, Megatron, Julio etc. It just takes a little while for teams to adapt. I don't know why... Maybe stubbornness? But we saw this with Dez and even saw it with Josh Gordon in 2013-- teams just did not give him the star treatment, even after back to back 200+ yard performances.

While I think OBJ is certainly 'for real' and should be in the conversation soon, he just hasn't had to contest with what the top WRs have; not yet at least.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/grammar_police.jpg

:laugh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Dez is one of the best, having said that I think teams like Det and Arz went overboard in the contracts they handed out to CJ and Fitz.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dez's mental stability & personality stability on the field has had no problems as I know. And since his rookie year, his off the field probs have been non existent.

never said Dez had a problem if you read the post, I was saying AJ Green was next up, number 2, behind Dez when rating the top 3 WRs in the game.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Megatron’s body and style of play hurt him. He is too big, and after a while the knocks and hits take a toll in today's NFL.

Over the past 3 seasons Calvin Johnson has averaged 1511 yards per season.

Yes, he has missed a total of 5 games the past two seasons due to injury, however, his stats are still eye-popping.

I'd not 100% ready to assume that Megatron is beginning his long decline. We'll see.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Over the past 3 seasons Calvin Johnson has averaged 1511 yards per season.

Yes, he has missed a total of 5 games the past two seasons due to injury, however, his stats are still eye-popping.

I'd not 100% ready to assume that Megatron is beginning his long decline. We'll see.

It's not my opinion, just my Grammar Gestapo version of what what the original poster wrote. :star::D:star: