Dez Bryant catch thread *merged*

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
The force out rule that many are referring to has gone away. That rules is when the WR is in the air, the defender can push him out of bounds.

I think what BB is referring to is, a defender can not force a WR out of bounds 5 yards or more down field. It should have been illegal contact. The ref threw his hat to signify Dez had ran out of bounds before he caught the ball. If Weddle forced him out it should have been called illegal contact. After 5 yards, the defense can not jam, push or force a WR to change his intended course.

That being said, it still would not have been a TD. It should have been called illegal contact IF Weddle pushed him out of bounds. I could not tell if Weddle in fact pushed him.

rocboy22

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;4675621 said:
Again, where did he say it should have been a TD?

this is what I was thinking the whole time. what is wrong with the reading comprehension skills of so many people?? how are there so many people who can read something and magically add all sorts of additional meaning to a statement that does not exist? really a pet peave of mine....

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
PhillyCowboysFan;4675594 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no more force out rule. The NFL did away with that two years ago. You must come down in bounds.

EDIT: I'm also beat to it!

Man that cheesesteak looks amazing! Why don't you just go ahead and send a couple of those my way? :)

Also I don't think Broaddus is claiming that the play was a TD. He just said the guy caught it anyway but was forced out.

Since there is no longer a force out rule obviously it's not a TD. I didn't see anywhere where Bryan claimed it was.

dallasdave

Reaction score
JohnsKey19;4675702 said:
The physical talent within Dez's body is matched by maybe 3-4 WRs in the league today. He just needs to understand the importance of being consistent.

BTW the catch was just silly...
Very true:laugh1:

anj113

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4675588 said:
Says he was forced out by Weddle and the holding call was BS. Awesome catch either way.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
First off the holding call on Arkin was BS and this cat caught the ball but he was forced out by Weddle. Amazing play.

wow did he really write this?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I thought Dez Bryant had his feet in bounds, too.

Dez Bryant VS Leigh Bodden (1 on 1)...

At New England... Game on the line... 3rd and Goal from the N.E. 5...

However, it's a shovel pass to Tashard Choice.

Leigh Bodden was later released by the Patriots.

proscout

Reaction score
I never said it was a TD, Weddle forced Dez out of bounds before the catch, Bryant came down in bounds with the ball on the coaches tape, he clearly comes down with both feet in bounds...I know the damn force out rules...

Bluestang

Reaction score
proscout;4677567 said:
I never said it was a TD, Weddle forced Dez out of bounds before the catch, Bryant came down in bounds with the ball on the coaches tape, he clearly comes down with both feet in bounds...I know the damn force out rules...

I'm sorry Broaddus that you have to put up with people like this.

I hope you can contribute some real football insight on this board instead of the self proclaimed GMs and coaches on this board. Your opinion is always welcomed by this poster on this baord anytime.

jzcowboy

Reaction score
proscout;4677567 said:
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification on the intent of your tweet. But with this clarification, if he was forced out and came down with the ball in bounds, why isn't it a TD?

Any thoughts on why the back judge didn't call a penalty?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
jzcowboy;4675596 said:
I think he's referring to a player being forced out of the back of the end zone by a defender before contact with the ball. If that's the case, can you be the first to touch it?

That would be pass interference...a force out is when the player leaves his feet to make a catch and is pushed out of bounds so he doesn't get feet down...it's legal, but you can't force receiver out before someone touches the ball.

twentytwo

Reaction score
large.jpg

Josh Ellis just tweeted this photo. Not sure if there's any photoshop or anything...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Note however the ref's hat is on the ground indicating he might have stepped out of bounds, and the holding call still would have negated it.

Amazing catch though.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Wow.

If it was the regular season and no penalty on the play, that would have been one of the best catches ever.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Watching it live and in motion he looked like the toe hit the white line when he 1st came down. I think the still photo is a bit misleading. Great catch but I saw it and felt he hit the line. Just my view

Bluestang

Reaction score
What are the exact rules on being forced out?

Broaddus said that on the coaches film Weddle forced Bryant out of bounds.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4678312 said:
Watching it live and in motion he looked like the toe hit the white line when he 1st came down. I think the still photo is a bit misleading. Great catch but I saw it and felt he hit the line. Just my view

That picture is way more clearer than what was on the TV. I saw the TV replay about 5X and thought his foot was also on the line but this picture provides a better view.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4678306 said:
Note however the ref's hat is on the ground indicating he might have stepped out of bounds, and the holding call still would have negated it.

Amazing catch though.

This was already discussed thoroughly in the other thread so merging it.

#reality