Dez Bryant - Experience

fortdick

Reaction score
5Stars;4231897 said:
I wish Mike Irvin would handle this guy. Make him go out to the field after practice and run routes until he vomits, just like Mike used to do. Make him catch 20 balls without dropping one, and if you do drop one, start over until you reach 20. The run some more routes until you vomit.

:D

Irvin had to work that hard! He didn't have Dez' natural talent. There is no reason to work yourself into the ground if you already have the talent, is there?

/off

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
fortdick;4232017 said:
Irvin had to work that hard! He didn't have Dez' natural talent. There is no reason to work yourself into the ground if you already have the talent, is there?

/off

You think Dez will ever get into the HOF?

;)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
davidyee;4232001 said:
...problems fans are having is Bryant's consistency and they have no other way of explaining it except to get on his case.

How can you be so amazing and brilliant on one play and look so pedestrian on another. The answer to me is your effort is not consistent.

I went to the Rams game and I would have to agree with some of the criticism to a point.

He is raw. He is somewhat inexperienced, but from what I saw of him on plays where he wasn't thrown to his effort is a bit of a disappointment.

I don't have the benefit nor care to go through all of his plays this season, but I would suggest that he work on honing his craft a bit more in order to truly elevate himself to the status of a real professional.

He has youth and the talent on his side. By next year we shouldn't be talking about this or else we truly have an issue.

He wouldn't be the first Bryant on the Cowboys not to reach his potential. So player beware and work hard to be who you can be.

I think if he gets a full healthy season and off season under his belt, then a full TC and Romo can stay healthy, he will be what we all think he can be.

He has more natural ability than Irvin did and Irvin had tons of it. I believe that he will be the net great WR for the Cowboys. His name will be in the record books IMO.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
shockandroll;4231660 said:
Agreed, but he is using facts, not emotion or overreaction to media created issues.

Example: many complain about how Dez is late to meetings, can any of them answer exactly how many meetings, how late he was, what the meeting was for, how disruptive it was to the team or Dez? I have not heard of one person who can.

Let's say it was 5 meetings and 4 of them were rehab sessions he was 10 minutes late for. Still irresponsible and dumb, a big deal? No. As long as he still did his full rehab I think this is a small issue between him and his position coach and that's it.

Now, if it was 5 meetings and 3 of them were with a group of people, he strolls in half asleep 20 minutes late and they either have to repeat things or Dez simply missed the early info, that's a HUGE deal, imo.

But we don't know and the coaches seem to suggest it's not a big deal, imo. Everything I've heard from the team is Dez works hard, he's a great kid and he's learning. He's not perfect but they have a system in place to deal with him and he's developing.

Most of the complaining is drama queen BS and from people who are expecting Dez to play like a 4th year pro. He's barely a two year one who missed his last college year, most of his rookie and second year preseason and much of his rookie regular season. The bar is set too high.

First, "facts" are interpretive.

Second, funny we're ignoring the obvious elephant (the reasons why he missed games) and just looking at the raw data (time missed). Dez was suspended in Junior College. Dez was suspended at OSU. Those events indicate maturity issues.

Dez's own head coach at OSU admitted that Dez had problems with time management. That issue continued on his rookie season in the NFL when he accrued more than six-figures (<$100K) in fines last season.

As to your hypotheticals above, that is nothing but pure speculation on your part and creative wishful thinking that are meaningless.

Is he maturing? Let's hope so.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4231774 said:
Let me help you understand why some people get on Dez.

Some people are idiots.

That and they don't know anything about football.

Says the fanboy with "Proud member of the C.O.D. CULT OF DEZ" in his signature.

"Dez! I gotz all urr jerziess!" "It cantz beh tru Dez.....not my Dez....I'll dephend you 2 the eND!"

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Megatron wasn't much better at this stage?

His 2nd year was ****ing frightening and that was with Kitna and some other random at QB.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4231618 said:
Give this kid some time. I actually believe that with Austin injured, Robinson is going to have even more time to focus on Dez and getting him going.

This is always the silver lining when a vet goes down, I keep thinking about how much real game experience younger players are getting and how it can positively impact the team, depth-wise, when the games really matter at the end of the season.

So yes, Miles is out. Time for Dez to get a taste of what being a number one feels like. Drink it up, baby! Drink it up!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4232149 said:

His 2nd year was ****ing frightening and that was with Kitna and some other random at QB.

Yeah, he was. But they come from different backgrounds with respect to their college career. But there are people like Realdrip who don't know what they are yammering about but they keep act like they do.

Dez might need more time to grasp the nuances of the game along with some aspects of the playbook, but he is one of the more productive offensive players this season and doesn't warrant the kind of criticism aimed at him by those who are are clueless.

Reaction score
I know people like to get on Dez. I just really don't get it.

- 27 games in his college career
- Missed a lot of his training camp due to injury
- Only played 12 games last year
- Limited Training Camp this year
- Hurt early this year so hasn't had as much practice

Outside of High School this kid has played in a total of 47 games at the collegiate and professional level. Only 20 NFL games, much without practice.

People want him to be megatron right now... but even in his NFL career he wasn't much more successful than Dez has been. And he played 37 games in college (and didn't even play his senior year).

Give this kid some time. I actually believe that with Austin injured, Robinson is going to have even more time to focus on Dez and getting him going.

Kid is already 30th in the nfl in yards per game in the first half of the season. Unless you have an agenda against him, you have to realize that will only get better.

Preach preacher :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He certainly does need time.

But he also need to study harder and not act like a prima dona on the sidelines

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
realtick;4231624 said:
Funny thing about "agendas," just because you preemptively accuse other people as having one doesn't mean you're not pushing one of your own.

Thank you Dr. Frickin Phil

Good lord - wipe it already.... sheesh :laugh2:

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4232244 said:
He certainly does need time.

But he also need to study harder and not act like a prima dona on the sidelines

Yeah cuz showing passion/love for the game of football is being a prima donna.

/sarcasm

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Well I agree with his lack of experience, but at the same time there are people on this board saying he is one of the top WRs in the league, a great player, future HoFer, etc etc, and he's not even close to any of those things. Yet.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I know people like to get on Dez. I just really don't get it.

- 27 games in his college career
- Missed a lot of his training camp due to injury
- Only played 12 games last year
- Limited Training Camp this year
- Hurt early this year so hasn't had as much practice

Outside of High School this kid has played in a total of 47 games at the collegiate and professional level. Only 20 NFL games, much without practice.

People want him to be megatron right now... but even in his NFL career he wasn't much more successful than Dez has been. And he played 37 games in college (and didn't even play his senior year).

Kid is already 30th in the nfl in yards per game in the first half of the season. Unless you have an agenda against him, you have to realize that will only get better.

how long does it take to know the playbook??
how long does it take to line up in the correct position??
how long does it take to run the route correctly??
how long does it take to act like a professional??
how long does it take to show up on time for meetings??
how long does it take to run out every play??

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4232209 said:
Yeah, he was. But they come from different backgrounds with respect to their college career. But there are people like Realdrip who don't know what they are yammering about but they keep act like they do.

Dez might need more time to grasp the nuances of the game along with some aspects of the playbook, but he is one of the more productive offensive players this season and doesn't warrant the kind of criticism aimed at him by those who are are clueless.

"Yuhh yuh yeah, that meh be truz, but I don't wants to hear it!"

Fanboy/Cultboy, cut from the same cloth.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
The Quest for Six;4232286 said:

Thank you.

Give us the exact requisite number of games a WR needs to have to know the routes?

"Buh, buh, Dez has only known how to read a clock for 18-19 years! You can't expect him to be on time alllllllllllll the time, right?

burmafrd

Reaction score
The Quest for Six;4232286 said:

How long does it take to learn a playbook that you have had for over a year and a half?

How hard is it to remember to show up at a meeting on time?

Bottom line is that putting effort in all areas is what is required and it is clear that he does not.
Those lapping at his jock don't want to hear it.

He has tremendous PHYSICAL talent; but how many of those have we seen over the years fail as pros because they never had to work all that hard till now; and are unable to do it?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;4232386 said:
How long does it take to learn a playbook that you have had for over a year and a half?

How hard is it to remember to show up at a meeting on time?

Bottom line is that putting effort in all areas is what is required and it is clear that he does not.
Those lapping at his jock don't want to hear it.

He has tremendous PHYSICAL talent; but how many of those have we seen over the years fail as pros because they never had to work all that hard till now; and are unable to do it?

Agreed.

Dez is an enigma.

By all accounts he's a hard worker in practice and his passion for the game is unquestionable. The issue is the mental aspects of the game and the attention to details which take advantage and exploit your natural physical talents and sharpen you as a wide receiver.

He reminds me of so many kids I played sports with in high school; great talents but never put in the maximum effort in the small details to learning the game that came so easy to them.

All the great receivers in this game put work into their craft...Irvin, Rice is legendary, Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, et cetera.

The enablers in the fanbase say "meh, the kid makes plays...that's all that matters!" Yet, they're the same fans that think there's a conspiracy as to why Dez is disappearing at times in games ("Garrett doesn't have a clue...Romo is punishing him"). Heaven forbid that some of Dez's issues are directly attributed to Dez himself....no, no, no, it's got to be someone else's problem, not Dez.

As a fan, Dez is my favorite Dallas Cowboy, hands down. But at this point he's a dangerous weapon, not a great wide reciever.

I'm looking forward to him making that next step.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4232149 said:

Calvin Johnson 1st 19 games 67 1048 6 TD's

Dez Bryant 1st 19 games 71 1004 10 TD's

Please explain how Megatron was so much better?

And by the way Kitna was Bryant's QB as well :laugh2:

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Couple of big difference between Megatron and Dez. Megatron studies and runs crisp routes. Megatron has nothing on Dez skill wise, he just executes his game better. Dez will not improve until he improves his routes and study habits.

Hate away on the truth...