Dez Bryant Is Finally Entering The Elite Category

MissouriCowboy

Reaction score
Back in the 2010 NFL Draft, 31 NFL teams decided that Dez Bryant wasn't worth the risk. During his career in the NFL, Jerry Jones has developed a reputation as a man who is willing to take risks. When Jones got the opportunity to land one of the best prospects in the entire draft, Jones jumped on it.

With Bryant beginning to show consistency and growth in his third season, the decision to trade up and draft Bryant is beginning to look like a great one. The Dallas Cowboys have found themselves another dynamic weapon who can change a game all by himself. Elite players make the type of plays Bryant is making, and you can start calling Dez an elite wide receiver.

Entering this season, Bryant received the "third-year wide receiver" label. The third-year wide receiver rule states that a NFL wide receiver entering his third season should breakout and produce in a big way. Once again, that the third-year wide receiver myth appears to have some truth to it.

Over the past few months, we have watched Dez Bryant grow right in front of our eyes.

Bryant's growth has been one of the most entertaining moments of the 2012 season. Earlier in the year, some were calling for Bryant to be benched, or even traded. There's no question that Bryant's route running was in need of some fine-tuning. Over the course of the season, Dez worked hard on that area. His improvements as a route runner are beginning to show up and make him even more dangerous.

He's always been big, strong and fast, he just needed to show some consistency. Last season, he was criticized for the way he disappeared late in games. Now that Bryant has gotten into better physical condition, he is showing up late in games. Give credit to his quarterback, too. Tony Romo never lost trust in Bryant and he continued to feed him the ball. The chemistry between the two has been just amazing to watch.

Entering the game against the New Orleans Saints, Bryant had been one of the hottest players in the NFL. Patrick Robinson is a pretty decent cornerback, but he just couldn't keep up with Bryant in man-to-man coverage. Bryant caught nine passes, scored two 58-yard touchdowns and set a career-high with 224 yards receiving. He has now scored in seven straight games, tying the longest streak in franchise history.

Bryant has become one of the most exciting players to watch in the NFL. He's become a reliable threat that can break off the big play any time he touches the ball. Wide receiver Dwayne Harris summed it up best.

"He’s a freak-of-nature of an athlete. Every time he touches it, you think he’s going to break it,"

After a a record-setting performance, Bryant wasn't too talkative or open with the media because of the way the Cowboys lost the game in overtime. Tim McMahon got a few quotes from him after the game, but Bryant didn't speak or publicly address the media. In a strange twist, maybe Dez and Jerry have found a way to channel positive energy into football success. Jones revealed that he and Bryant do a ritual before the game.

"We have this little ritual we’re going through that’s been going on for about six games," Jones said, holding out his hands in front of his stomach with his palms facing upward. "We come over before the game and he touches [my hands] and it’s like a séance. I say, ‘I see three, I see receptions, I see scores today.’ Just some kidding going on there."

Whatever Dez and Jerry are doing before the game, please keep doing it because it's working. Bryant's performance against the Saints was another bittersweet moment of the 2012 season. With just one game left, the Cowboys still have a chance to ride into the playoffs. Just like last season in New York, everything will come down to Week 17.

The Cowboys need another big performance from #88. Bryant has been on an amazing streak, hopefully he continues that and tears up the Washington Commanders. Even if the Cowboys can't come up with a win, you have to come away with some positives from this season. Perhaps the biggest one is that Bryant is finally entering the discussion as an elite wide receiver. With 88 receptions for 1,311 yards and 12 touchdowns, Dez has solidified his name to be in that conversation.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/12/25/3801462/dez-bryant-is-finally-entering-the-elite-category

Langonelives

Reaction score
Back in the 2010 NFL Draft, 31 NFL teams decided that Dez Bryant wasn't worth the risk.

^^^ stopped reading after this line. He wasn't taken 32nd of the first round, as that sentence implies.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Langonelives;4919858 said:
Back in the 2010 NFL Draft, 31 NFL teams decided that Dez Bryant wasn't worth the risk.

^^^ stopped reading after this line. He wasn't taken 32nd of the first round, as that sentence implies.

You stop reading a very well written post that the OP obviously put a lot of time and effort into because of a simple mistake?

You are critical. Are you an teacher by chance?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Note to Dez Bryant's number one detractor on this forum. Dez has had a better year (catches, yards, and TDs) than Miles Austin's best year and he is not done. So I ask you, and really only you, who is our #1 WR? The truth will be painful, but not as damaging as the agenda if you keep it up.

I also wonder where the people are who said Hakeem Nicks is hands down better? And so was Victor Cruz. So was Roddy White. So was Julio Jones. Yet Dez has more receptions, yards, and TDs than all of them too.

I better acknowledge Hakeem Nicks was injured for much of the year. I guess that means he will be better next year? Should I book it?

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
Jerrah . IMO, paid big $$$ to get Jimmy Robinson for just this purpose. It seems to be working for Dwayne Harris also. As a side note the way Dallas has been playing in 4th quarters is a testament to a full off-season with Mike Woicik.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Yuma Cactus;4919879 said:
Jerrah . IMO, paid big $$$ to get Jimmy Robinson for just this purpose. It seems to be working for Dwayne Harris also. As a side note the way Dallas has been playing in 4th quarters is a testament to a full off-season with Mike Woicik.

Kudos to Jerry / JG for getting Jimmy Robinson to leave Green Bay and come to Dallas -- he the only coach on the Cowboys staff I think it's safe to say is the absolute best at his position in the NFL.

His track record developing WR talent is remarkable.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
This boy is a beast!

[youtube]5Ws70FemCYY[/youtube]

88 is coming for you! Skins fans!

Frozen700

Reaction score
Hostile;4919873 said:
Note to Dez Bryant's number one detractor on this forum. Dez has had a better year (catches, yards, and TDs) than Miles Austin's best year and he is not done. So I ask you, and really only you, who is our #1 WR? The truth will be painful, but not as damaging as the agenda if you keep it up.

I also wonder where the people are who said Hakeem Nicks is hands down better? And so was Victor Cruz. So was Roddy White. So was Julio Jones. Yet Dez has more receptions, yards, and TDs than all of them too.

I better acknowledge Hakeem Nicks was injured for much of the year. I guess that means he will be better next year? Should I book it?

I remember when I made that post, about Dez being more of a Beast, because Roddy and Julio laughed at our Duo....A few people laughed and said no way Dez is better....yeah, look who's laughing now.

Now everybody wants to jump on the Dez wagon, jump off.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score

I think the writer said 31 other teams because every team could have traded up for Bryant like we did, so they all had the opportunity to get him. Only we did.

bounce

Reaction score

31 NFL teams did have a chance for him. Any one of them could have traded up for him. They decided not to. Dallas did.

The Natural

Reaction score
Frozen700;4919890 said:
Now everybody wants to jump on the Dez wagon, jump off.

Make no mistake about it. I remember all the names of the posters who stood in Dez' corner. You were definitely one of those guys, Hostile was one of those guys, Zordon too. It's amazing the heelturn this forum has done, it's incredible actually. If it was up to other posters here Dez would've been traded for a 3rd round pick at the deadline.

perrykemp

Reaction score
The Natural;4919911 said:
Make no mistake about it. I remember all the names of the posters who stood in Dez' corner. You were definitely one of those guys, Hostile was one of those guys, Zordon too. It's amazing the heelturn this forum has done, it's incredible actually. If it was up to other posters here Dez would've been traded for a 3rd round pick at the deadline.

Dez is playing great and has all the makings of a top 5 WR in the NFL.

I'll feel better about his future when he reaches the point off the field where he doesn't require a full compliment of man / baby sitters to get him to and from practice games, chaperone him in the evenings to keep him out of trouble, and the goodnight police to get him home for curfew.

As far as I know he is the only player in the entire NFL who has a set of rules like this in place.

I sincerely hope and believe that his on the field success will lead to a maturation of the field to the level that the Cowboys front-office feels more comfortable with him and treat him like a man instead of a child.

MissouriCowboy

Reaction score
perrykemp;4919862 said:
You stop reading a very well written post that the OP obviously put a lot of time and effort into because of a simple mistake?

You are critical. Are you an teacher by chance?

I did not write it but sue me .............:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MissouriCowboy;4919926 said:
Much as I want Dallas to have a GM at the helm I give Jerry credit for this pick.
I don't. The work was done by Tom Ciskowski and the scouting staff.

kevm3

Reaction score
When Dez wasn't playing well, all of sudden it's how incompetent of a GM Jerry is and how stupid he was for wasting another 1st rounder, but now Dez is excelling and all of a sudden Jerry can't get the credit?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kevm3;4919967 said:
When Dez wasn't playing well, all of sudden it's how incompetent of a GM Jerry is and how stupid he was for wasting another 1st rounder, but now Dez is excelling and all of a sudden Jerry can't get the credit?
I do not give Jerry credit or blame on personnel moves because he has very little involvement in them as far as analysis. For my money Jerry is a marketing figurehead much more than he is a GM who creates the pieces of a football team. I give the Scouts and Coaches credit for the product on the field, and the players as well.