Dez Bryant out of shape

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The Quest for Six;3383442 said:
He's caught just about everything thrown his way, including a spectacular, one-handed grab with his left hand on a ball thrown on a comeback route. It looked like he stabbed his arm out to catch a nerf ball, not a football.

This is all I care to hear about after day 1. Day 1 is unlike anything they've experienced. They're getting back into the tempo of football practice but, more importantly, they're experiencing an NFL practice tempo for the first time. If you don't read too much into guys getting acclimated to the new tempo you'll save yourself many many brain cells.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The Quest for Six;3383461 said:
he's running routes against AIR, how hard is it to catch every thing thrown his way...

Wow! We should never have drafted this pathetic excuse for a WR. :rolleyes:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3383560 said:
The guy has already made spectacular catches in practice. He just needs to get his stamina back. He'll be fine in a week.

Maybe he's trying to lure Crayton back to compete again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DallasEast;3385118 said:
So, basically, you are concerned now (e.g. the present) about something which you acknowledge will not be a concern in the near future (a.k.a. the regular season), but you reserve the right of reverting back to being concerned as soon as the season ends?

This non-issue's effect on some is wack.

Anytime you draft a player with amazing talent who fell in the draft because of character issues there's always going to be some concern. If there was nothing to worry about with him he would have gone in the top 10. I have no concerns about his talent but he has to show he's going to be willing to work hard even when he's not around the team. It's going to take time to get familiar with Dez and see what we hear and read about him as far his conditioning and work ethic. We'll know after the first few practices in camp if he came prepared and is in decent conditioning.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
KJJ;3386411 said:
Anytime you draft a player with amazing talent who fell in the draft because of character issues there's always going to be some concern. If there was nothing to worry about with him he would have gone in the top 10. I have no concerns about his talent but he has to show he's going to be willing to work hard even when he's not around the team. It's going to take time to get familiar with Dez and see what we hear and read about him as far his conditioning and work ethic. We'll know after the first few practices in camp if he came prepared and is in decent conditioning.
The only concern about Dez is his maturity off the field and what decisions he makes there. There is no concern about his work ethic b/c coaches at OKSt. had to essentially drag his butt off the field. His conditioning will get there in time, give him a couple of weeks cause Irvin will whip him into shape. As long as he is properly guided off the field he'll be fine b/c on the field there is no equal when it comes to work ethic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KJJ;3386411 said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. The old saying of, " 'We' mistakenly equaling 'me' and 'them' " is still rearing its ugly head. What is known for certain thus far:
  • Bryant lied to NCAA investigators about meeting with Deion Sanders
  • Bryant has established incidents of being late for team meetings at the collegiate level
Neither one of these examples diminishes Bryant's value to the team as a wide receiver now or in the future. Granted, he was 'winded' at an OTA. Of course, that fact prompts an automatic, "And..?".

His first name isn't Antonio. My apologies. I can't embrace the paranoia. When Bryant is tapping himself for the coaches to take him out of the Sunday night game at Washington this September, I will probably end up saying, "Hmm".

Until then? Nope. Can't do it. I will leave others to do the draft blooper watch for themselves. He's bending over! He ran his route against Wall perfectly, but he's bending over sucking wind now! Dang, Dez! This is going to occupy my thoughts from now to August! Why, Dez, why?

Bryant's conditioning is a non-factor. Trying to twist, prod or morph it into something relevant doesn't make sense, but good luck with that.

interestedobserver

Reaction score
Rookie camp is about kicking these guys butts and showing them what they need to do to be ready for training camp. A lot of rookies were sucking wind. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

landryscorner

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see him grow from a boy to a man as a Cowboy. Keeping him out of trouble is gonna be a fulltime job for Cowboys front office tho sorry to say that.

Mansta54

Reaction score
landryscorner;3386541 said:
It will be interesting to see him grow from a boy to a man as a Cowboy. Keeping him out of trouble is gonna be a fulltime job for Cowboys front office tho sorry to say that.

Why do you say this? He wasn't in trouble before and he has no criminal record. Meeting with Deion and being late to practice his freshman year is all he did. I don't call that trouble. Not sure what you're talking about..

SDCowboy

Reaction score
landryscorner;3386541 said:
How did you come up with this? He never got into trouble before when he had no supervision. :confused:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone ever hear of an urban myth? If not, I give you Dez Bryant. He's a baaaaaad man.

You are all witnesses.

Bluestang

Reaction score
This whole thing about Dez being out of shape has been blown out of proportion. If anybody read the recap of the second day of practice he wasn't nearly as winded as he was the first day.

It is widely known that coaches and trainers like to go overboard on the first day to give that "shock and awe" feeling to rookies to give them an idea of what they need to do to get their butts in gear for training camp.

If you also heard Irvin's interview on DC.com he pretty much vouched for Dez saying that this kid will be special and that he is no "diva" whatsoever. He talked about how Dez would encourage all the rookies out there when he was not involved in drills. The more and more I hear things like this I can only come up with the conclusion that Dez is a victim of pre-draft overanalysis.

Dez is in the right place and has the right mentors that will keep this kid out of any sort of trouble - which he never got into at OK ST.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
DallasEast;3386496 said:
  • Bryant has established incidents of being late for team meetings at the collegiate level

Has this been proven, or is this still one of those things that has no legs? He was never punished for it in school.

And to those saying Dez is going to need constant supervision...oy vey. It's not like he's been busted for drugs or crimes ever. He isn't some problem WR. All things I've read and seen on him tell me he's a hard worker who is very determined.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonderboyromo;3386625 said:
Has this been proven, or is this still one of those things that has no legs? He was never punished for it in school.

And to those saying Dez is going to need constant supervision...oy vey. It's not like he's been busted for drugs or crimes ever. He isn't some problem WR. All things I've read and seen on him tell me he's a hard worker who is very determined.
Bold--> You could be right, but Jerry Jones believes that it happened since he said that it bore no importance to Bryant's current situation with the team.

MTCowboys88

cowboys3128
Reaction score
DallasEast;3386633 said:
Bold--> You could be right, but Jerry Jones believes that it happened since he said that it bore no importance to Bryant's current situation with the team.

Dez admitted that as a freshman, he was late to some things (don't know how much or to what). But he said he's much better time management-wise.

One things for sure - he's quickly becoming the most scrutinized player on the team. All the naysayers are watching his every move for a mis-step.

I'm not one of those saying he's going to be a Pro Bowl receiver his first year. But let's give him the same amount of time we do with other rookies.

I think alot of people (including the media) need to take a breath and just watch Dez play. And when they do, they'll see a kid that has a great blend of talent and passion for the game.

I've said multiple times, the one undeniable fact about Dez is he loves the game. Michael confirmed that yesterday, and it shows on the field.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The one thing I like is that he doesn't appear to be a brash, in-your-face trash talker. If he's a diva, he's a soft-spoken one.

hawklegion

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3383472 said:

^ This. He is obviously a lost cause. I say we bring in the only man who can salvage the team, "The People's Choice"

http://cache.********.com/sports/freddiemitchellhair.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DallasEast;3386496 said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. The old saying of, " 'We' mistakenly equaling 'me' and 'them' " is still rearing its ugly head. What is known for certain thus far:
  • Bryant lied to NCAA investigators about meeting with Deion Sanders
Neither one of these examples diminishes Bryant's value to the team as a wide receiver now or in the future. Granted, he was 'winded' at an OTA. Of course, that fact prompts an automatic, "And..?".

His first name isn't Antonio. My apologies. I can't embrace the paranoia. When Bryant is tapping himself for the coaches to take him out of the Sunday night game at Washington this September, I will probably end up saying, "Hmm".

Until then? Nope. Can't do it. I will leave others to do the draft blooper watch for themselves. He's bending over! He ran his route against Wall perfectly, but he's bending over sucking wind now! Dang, Dez! This is going to occupy my thoughts from now to August! Why, Dez, why?

Bryant's conditioning is a non-factor. Trying to twist, prod or morph it into something relevant doesn't make sense, but good luck with that.

Dez being winded at the mini camp doesn't concern me according to one article I read most of the new players were winded. Him not being in condition for his pro day was a concern because players train hard for that with personal trainers because alot of money can be riding on their performance. He had no excuse for not being prepared for that but all that aside I'm glad we picked him and if he does have a good work ethic he should become a great player. He certainly has the skill set to become one of the elite receivers in the league.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
cowboys3128;3386654 said:
I've said multiple times, the one undeniable fact about Dez is he loves the game. Michael confirmed that yesterday, and it shows on the field.

That's a great pic in your sig!!! I love it!