Dez Bryant takes the team out for $54,000

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dmq;3592626 said:
Dez Bryant also is going to make a ton of money endorsing products. I doubt $54,000 will make a dent in his lifestyle.

It won't. My fellow fans are trippin.

Verdict

Reaction score
I have eaten at the Pappas Steak House in Dallas. It is pretty pricey. If each player ordered an upper end item but didn't get carried away, it would be VERY EASY to spend $100 per person on average, and that is just with a drink or two. Everything there is an "add on". You want peppercorn sauce with your steak, its an added 6 to 8 bucks. If you ordered the most expensive items on the menu, you could easily spend $150 per person. None of that is really shocking to me, and spending $150 per person wouldn't make too much of a dent in Dez' pocketbook.

I will go on record as saying I really don't care if he spent $50,000.00 more that night on strippers, as it is his money to do with as he sees fit. However, the reality of that is that most athletes believe that the "well" of money will never dry up. This sort of activity spurs on that type of thinking. The NFL has symposiums on telling athletes not to piss off their money, and parades tons of former broken down and bankrupt players in front of the players cautioning them to not do this very thing.

This is just not good business. Its not smart. Its not payback for not carrying Roy's pads. Its stupid. This isn't Dez's second contract where he has already bankrolled millions, and has a ton or money behind him. The tax monster hasn't taken a huge cut out of his initial paycheck yet.

I don't think $100 per player or even $150 per player is out of line considering the money he makes, but a lot of the money in his contract will not be guaranteed. This sort of thing is the EXACT sort of thing that the league, as a whole discourages. I think "hazing" to this degree, and Dez participation in this activity is stupid on his part.

Verdict

Reaction score
windjc;3593223 said:
I remember chuckling at the ignorance of either the player or the reporter re: a three carat $50k earring.

There are very few three carat diamonds in the world worth $50k. So either the player overpaid a fortune for that diamond or the reporter was reporting urban legends.

Try 5k-10k. That will buy you very nice 3 carat earrings.

Not unless you are buying them at K-Mart. LOL

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Ex-NFL coach blasts publicity over Dez Bryant's $55,000 meal

Posted at 12:48 PM on Wed., Sep. 29, 2010
SportsDayDFW sports

Former NFL head coach Herm Edwards blasted the publicity given to the $55,000 meal Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant helped purchase for his teammates on Wednesday.

Edwards admitted last week that if he could coach one team, it would be the Cowboys.

Edwards said on ESPN-TV that he understands why rookies might get stuck with the bill, especially after he refused to carry Roy Williams' pads during training camp.

But Edwards scolded the situation for being out of touch with regular fans.

"You don't need the attention," Edwards said, as transcribed by USA Today. "In our economy, we don't need to be talking about guys going to dinner paying $55,000."

Edwards said that the Cowboys were out of line to reveal it. "Those guys should have done that privately," he said, "not talked about how much it cost."

Numerous Cowboys players posted on their Twitter accounts about the meal.

more:
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/09/ex-nfl-coach-blasts-publicity.html

http://img6.*************/img6/2466/9dde47879b05dd76728d49d.jpg

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbgun;3593929 said:
Edwards admitted last week that if he could coach one team, it would be the Cowboys.

Sign him up!!!!! No, this is not a dig at Wade. Relax people... I just like that statement from a classy coach.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh my gosh Herm, they punked a friend as a gag. I am quite sure that all of them will privately pitch in. That's the way it works.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hostile;3593957 said:
Oh my gosh Herm, they punked a friend as a gag. I am quite sure that all of them will privately pitch in. That's the way it works.

But I agree with Herm on this, it is out of touch and totally distasteful to me. I don't even want to hear about them spending that much money on a meal if I'm eating roman noodles every night.

Take those spoiled brats to Mcdonalds and give the rest to someone who actually needs the money. It just didn't need to be known to the public, sure they go out after every game pretty much and spend a killing, but I don't wanna know about it really.

I want to see them play, and entertain me on Sundays, but I don't want or need to know anything about their personal lives cause it disgusts me.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze;3593981 said:
But I agree with Herm on this, it is out of touch and totally distasteful to me. I don't even want to hear about them spending that much money on a meal if I'm eating roman noodles every night.

Take those spoiled brats to Mcdonalds and give the rest to someone who actually needs the money. It just didn't need to be known to the public, sure they go out after every game pretty much and spend a killing, but I don't wanna know about it really.

I want to see them play, and entertain me on Sundays, but I don't want or need to know anything about their personal lives cause it disgusts me.
Did the Cowboys reveal the amount or did the restaurant for publicity? I saw several tweets, but none of them mentioned the amount spent. The media announced that and I bet they got the info from a restaurant representative.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

It doesn't bother me one bit. If I don't hear about this particular meal I'm supposed to not know that there are restaurants out there who have bottles of wine in the thousands of dollars?

Every one of the players who joined in the gag of this bill probably donates to a charitable cause. Many have their own. For instance Jason Witten was honored last year for his community work.

I am pretty sure Dez will too. He got set up for a gag by his guys. They weren't looking to thumb their noses at society or mock the economy. They went out to eat at a place some people can't afford. So what? It happens every day. Just because some people eat McDonalds doesn't mean these guys have to so that they don't insult people who have to.

I don't see where they did anything wrong. Is the bill obscene? Of course it is. But they didn't hurt anyone.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

You should be glad they are putting that money back in the economy.

Having 55k in the bank does not help anyone.

Keep spending that money boys ...... it helps the "little guys"

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Knowing now that Dez was on board with this all along has changed my opinion of the whole thing.

I initially thought that Dez agreed to buy everyone dinner, expecting the bill to be 5 or 6 thousand dollars.

And that the veterans told everyone to run the bill way up on him as a gag and that it got out of hand and eventually totaled > $54,000, ... catching Dez off guard.

But if Dez was on board with this, and doesn't feel as if he has been taken advantage of, .. then I don't see what the problem is.

It is his money, he can do with it as he pleases.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I would love to be able to afford taking that many people to dinner and paying for it. Good luck to our next 1st round pick. You've got a hurdle.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hostile;3594240 said:
I would love to be able to afford taking that many people to dinner and paying for it.

Me too.

When I daydream about winning the lottery, stuff like that is what I daydream for. (I don't buy lottery tickets so it's not happening, but a guy can still dream)

I daydream more about what I would give to other people than what I would give to me.

I would love to take all of my family for a month long vacation somewhere tropical, .. and pay for everything.

I would love to buy all of them whatever vehicle they wanted.

And on and on.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Hostile;3594150 said:
It doesn't bother me one bit. If I don't hear about this particular meal I'm supposed to not know that there are restaurants out there who have bottles of wine in the thousands of dollars?

Every one of the players who joined in the gag of this bill probably donates to a charitable cause. Many have their own. For instance Jason Witten was honored last year for his community work.

I am pretty sure Dez will too. He got set up for a gag by his guys. They weren't looking to thumb their noses at society or mock the economy. They went out to eat at a place some people can't afford. So what? It happens every day. Just because some people eat McDonalds doesn't mean these guys have to so that they don't insult people who have to.

I don't see where they did anything wrong. Is the bill obscene? Of course it is. But they didn't hurt anyone.

:hammer:

gmb85

Reaction score
OMG...people are still talking about this? We're close to the baseball postseason, not to mention the start of the NFL and College football season.

Get over it BSPN!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;3594150 said:

Gotta agree Hos. I mean, would we all rather hear about the team dropping 55K at the strip club or on a Party Boat somewhere?

It's a team thing and if the team doesn't have issue with it, then I don't really see why we should. It's not as if they are breaking any laws. Be thankful for what this is, as opposed to what it is not, I say.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I think Herm is more peeved about the "bragging" than the fact that an expensive dinner took place. At least I hope that's the case. A lot of "commoners" (waiters, busboys, kitchen staff) with kids to feed and bills to pay benefit when fat cats open their wallets. Consider it "trickle down economics" in action.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3594397 said:
I think Herm is more peeved about the "bragging" than the fact that an expensive dinner took place. At least I hope that's the case. A lot of "commoners" (waiters, busboys, kitchen staff) with kids to feed and bills to pay benefit when fat cats open their wallets. Consider it "trickle down economics" in action.
I don't see it as bragging. I see it as them laughing at what they pulled over on the guy.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
BlueStar3398;3593159 said:
Seems like a huge waste of money - but that's just me. I cringe when I see people blowing like that.

How is this "blowing" it? This isn't making it rain on strippers or spending it on drugs. This is high quality food at a local establishment, this money is going to support local people servers and purveyors, Pappas is owned out of Houston so it's not even a chain. Yes it's expensive but it's not like they're throwing the food away, I bet they ate just about every bite (at least of the steaks!) and they probably don't do this sort of thing more than once a year. Is it "blowing" it if you take your wife or whatever out for dinner and spend $300 on an anniversary or something?