big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just so I have this straight:

Dez needs to catch more passes.
Murray needs more touches.
Escobar need to be a bigger part of the offense.
Beasley needs to be thrown to more
Dunbar needs to be used like Reggie Bush.

Maybe the NFL will let the Cowboys use 2 footballs on offense next year.

You forgot Harris.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Is it really just the scheme or does dez not get open? I love dez but I have a hard time believing its all scheme. it would help if he had some good wrs around him i guess.

Scheme deserves the larger chunk of blame.

They'll send Bryant on a go route right into the teeth of a double team. The CB might be playing off as to not get burned by Bryant (or maybe he'll press) and the Safety help over the top just cements it.

And Romo often won't even look Bryant's way after the ball is snapped on plays like this.

http://i238.***BLOCKED***/albums/ff136/Ntegrase96/shaded_zps66bf7f4a.png
Safety shaded over the top, Romo's going elsewhere. This particular play is an incompletion to Austin.

That's not a knock on Romo, it just seems like that's what he is supposed to do based on the play call. Bryant draws away everyone else and let's our other options work against whatever is left.

Bonus:
The dumb part is that the other options are usually on the other side of the field. Meaning the DBs aren't forced into the decision of "should I break off and follow Bryant?" leaving another receiving option open for a brief window. Instead they just trail their guys who are easy to cover.

Having Bryant be a decoy at wideout by himself essentially just shuts down half the field for our offense.

Section446

Reaction score
Dez is a wasted talent if he is not targeted. Callahan, Romo, and Jason should know better. It is foolish not to use that great of a player.

Fixed it for you.

What's scary about Dez is that he still has a lot of room to grow. Imagine what he'll look like when everything becomes second nature to him.

perrykemp

Reaction score
What's scary about Dez is that he still has a lot of room to grow. Imagine what he'll look like when everything becomes second nature to him.

Next year is Dez's 5th year in the league. Hopefully the offense becomes second-nature to him pretty soon.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Nelson and Decker scheme>>>>>how dallas uses or misuses Dez. Its crazy that we dont try and move dez around. Have him in the backfield and etc. Create confusion. JG way. just line up and let the defense dictate what the offense run. Line Dez up in the same spot so they can easily double and triple team him all day.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Dez is a wasted talent if he is not targeted. Callahan and Jason should know better. It is foolish not to use that great of a player.

So what are you saying? He should be the only target? We have a very good rookie WR, a HOF TE and a pass catching RB also on the team. Dez isn't the only threat in the passing game on our team.

Wood

Reaction score
Jordy Nelson scored 30 TDs on 295 targets
Dez Bryant scored 34 TDs on 401 targets

Amazingly, Nelson only scored a single TD in the last 9 games this season (8 of them without Rodgers).

amazing stat. That puts Nelson higher on my fantasy ranking for next year. Might be more underrated WR in football.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Next year is Dez's 5th year in the league. Hopefully the offense becomes second-nature to him pretty soon.

I said something similar to this however I don't think he doesn't know the offense because I think it's second nature to him already. What I think he will IMPROVE on is the small technical parts of his game and using his hands more at the LOS and using leverage to get better position to play the ball.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
For this team to be all it can be offensively, they have to figure out how to get Dez routinely involved for both halves in every game.

It seemed that too many times Dez was a decoy or taken out of the game. I'm certain there are stats that suggest that doesn't bear fruit. But, if the eyeball test has any validity, he appeared to be quiet for some time during most games this past season.

If Linehan is an improvement over Callahan, then I surely hope we see that first and foremost in Dez becoming a terror for defenses.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
He sure has proved me wrong. I remember last year's Bears game where he was abysmal. I was so furious at him. Now I love the kid.

Happily eating my crow, thanks Dez.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
[quote="Ntegrase96, post: 5431657, member: 25021heme deserves the larger chunk of blame.

They'll send Bryant on a go route right into the teeth of a double team. The CB might be playing off as to not get burned by Bryant (or maybe he'll press) and the Safety help over the top just cements it.

And Romo often won't even look Bryant's way after the ball is snapped on plays like this.

http://i238.***BLOCKED***/albums/ff136/Ntegrase96/shaded_zps66bf7f4a.png
Safety shaded over the top, Romo's going elsewhere. This particular play is an incompletion to Austin.

That's not a knock on Romo, it just seems like that's what he is supposed to do based on the play call. Bryant draws away everyone else and let's our other options work against whatever is left.

Bonus:
The dumb part is that the other options are usually on the other side of the field. Meaning the DBs aren't forced into the decision of "should I break off and follow Bryant?" leaving another receiving option open for a brief window. Instead they just trail their guys who are easy to cover.

Having Bryant be a decoy at wideout by himself essentially just shuts down half the field for our offense.[/quote]

I see what youre saying about that play. Theres probably a lot more like that.

dcstands4

Reaction score
WR targets over last 3 years: Megatron 518, Marshall 499, Welker 459, A.J. 457, Fitzgerald 445, V. Jackson 421, Roddy 420, Dez Bryant 400."

TD receptions over the last 3 seasons: Dez Bryant 34, Calvin Johnson 33, Eric Decker 32, Jordy Nelson 30, A.J. Green 29, Brandon Marshall 29"

EDIT: Anyway to edit the title? Did not mean to put least targeted over the last 3 years.

It's bothered me Dez hasn't had a 100 catch season