Dez Bryant the WR with the most TD's and least receptions over Last 3 Years

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm more shocked Nelson and Decker are that high. Especially since they play on teams with like 2 or 3 other receiver options as well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that Calvin Johnson has the most targets. The Lions really don't throw to anyone else and they also throw the ball quite a bit. Stafford has led the league in pass attempts in 2 out of the last 3 seasons and finished 4th the other season. Dallas has been able to spread the ball around the last 3 years with Witten, Austin, Robinson and Williams.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
They also have Peyton manning and Aaron Rodgers throwing them the ball. Dez is the most physically gifted. But decker and Nelson run better routes and qb's can depend on those guys a little more than dez I think. Put dez on the packers or broncos and he puts up other-worldly type numbers. A lot of it is better passing scheme IMO.

Just for the sake of comparison, trade out dez with Nelson or decker... I think dez's numbers would go up and Nelson/deckers numbers would go down.

This is an excellent post. Dez is way better than Nelson or Decker but those guys have Peyton and Rodgers throwing them the ball. I agree that if Dez was on Denver or GB he would put up even bigger numbers. He is top 3 in the NFL ...slightly behind only Calvin Johnson and AJ Green in my opinion.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Remember that guy Greg Jennings? He was considered a top 10 WR?

Greenbay's receivers are a by product of their system. I believe James Jones led the NFL in TD receptions last year. Or maybe it was Randall Cobb.

The point is if you put James Jones or Randall Cobb in Dallas, they don't score 13 TD's.

JackWagon

Reaction score
This is an excellent post. Dez is way better than Nelson or Decker but those guys have Peyton and Rodgers throwing them the ball. I agree that if Dez was on Denver or GB he would put up even bigger numbers. He is top 3 in the NFL ...slightly behind only Calvin Johnson and AJ Green in my opinion.

Disagree ... i think his off the field stuff and his lack of smarts puts him a lot father down the list. Potential talent wise .. he is top 5 .. but he will never get there.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Greenbay's receivers are a by product of their system. I believe James Jones led the NFL in TD receptions last year. Or maybe it was Randall Cobb.

The point is if you put James Jones or Randall Cobb in Dallas, they don't score 13 TD's.

I agree with the previous poster and nominally disagree that it is the GB system. We saw what the GB system looked like without Rodgers -- Jordy Nelson is the biggest touchdown producer in the NFL in terms of TDs per target had yet ended grand total of 1 TD in the 8 games Rodgers was out.

The system basically imploded without an elite QB there to run it.

I think that is strong evidence that the "system" in GB is has long really been about the fact they've had back-to-back HoF caliber QBs operating the offense.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Disagree ... i think his off the field stuff and his lack of smarts puts him a lot father down the list. Potential talent wise .. he is top 5 .. but he will never get there.

Hmmm.. don't know what to say to this. I think his off the field stuff will eventually hurt him as a player for sure and I don't think he is too bright either.. that is why I put both Calvin and AJ above him. With all of that said, his talent level is through the roof and he can be flat out unstoppable at times. Even though he isn't very bright and at times can have off the field issues.. he is till top 3 in the NFL at WR. If he were playing in Denver or GB his stats would be even better. He would have an elite QB throwing him the ball and would be playing in a much better scheme. Just my opinion though.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I agree with the previous poster and nominally disagree that it is the GB system. We saw what the GB system looked like without Rodgers -- Jordy Nelson is the biggest touchdown producer in the NFL in terms of TDs per target had yet ended grand total of 1 TD in the 8 games Rodgers was out.

I think that is strong evidence that the "system" in GB is has long really been about the fact they've had back-to-back HoF caliber QBs operating the offense.

You definitely need a great QB to run that system, but the WR's themselves aren't anything special outside of that system.

I haven't checked the All 22 on GB but I'm sure there are guys running open during the Scott Tolzien/Matt Flynn run but they are unable to get the ball in the receivers hands.

I personally don't believe Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb would put up the #'s they do in GB in Dallas, while I believe Dez would be just as consistent, if not more, in GB's system.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

I completely agree with everything you said.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Hmmm.. don't know what to say to this. I think his off the field stuff will eventually hurt him as a player for sure and I don't think he is too bright either.. that is why I put both Calvin and AJ above him. With all of that said, his talent level is through the roof and he can be flat out unstoppable at times. Even though he isn't very bright and at times can have off the field issues.. he is till top 3 in the NFL at WR. If he were playing in Denver or GB his stats would be even better. He would have an elite QB throwing him the ball and would be playing in a much better scheme. Just my opinion though.

I just really downgrade him due to the fact that in 4 years he has only learned 1 WR position. The outside WR. Has the playbook really changed that much in 4 years? So much that you have to concentrate on just one position? Also because of this .. the defense just rolls the safety over the top double covers him .. and he is useless the rest of the game. You have seen defenses do this over and over and over. Dez has no answer for it. Because he doesn't know the playbook for the other positions. So he disappears in games when the opposition decides they are not gonna get beat by him.

Johnson, Fitz, Green, Welker, Cruz, Nelson, White, Smith, Marshall ... they all just move to the slot or to the other side ... change up the look and they get open. Dez cant do it. Or he hasnt done it yet and this is what year 4?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Judging by your avatar, seems pretty clear you have an agenda.
Bryant is a top five WR in the league now, if they polled every DC in the league and asked them who the top five most difficult Wr's to plan against I'm pretty sure they will vote Bryant as one of those five. Ask every cornerback in the league who the toughest to check in the league and pretty sure Bryant would be one of the top five.
Bryant is better than the one dimensional Green now. Better than pretty much anyone except your boy Megatron and maybe Josh Gordon.
I think he is going to tear it up this year under Linehan's system and put to rest a lot of the ridicuous doubt.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Bryant is better than the one dimensional Green now. Better than pretty much anyone except your boy Megatron and maybe Josh Gordon.

I agree with you that Dez is top 5. I am curious what the one dimension is that you think AJ Green has?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I just really downgrade him due to the fact that in 4 years he has only learned 1 WR position. The outside WR. Has the playbook really changed that much in 4 years? So much that you have to concentrate on just one position? Also because of this .. the defense just rolls the safety over the top double covers him .. and he is useless the rest of the game. You have seen defenses do this over and over and over. Dez has no answer for it. Because he doesn't know the playbook for the other positions. So he disappears in games when the opposition decides they are not gonna get beat by him.

Johnson, Fitz, Green, Welker, Cruz, Nelson, White, Smith, Marshall ... they all just move to the slot or to the other side ... change up the look and they get open. Dez cant do it. Or he hasnt done it yet and this is what year 4?

Larry Fitgerald can't be shut down..... he of games of 18yds, 23 yds, 33yds, 43yds and two 48yd games this season....really??

Wes Welker, only ran two routes and never been the focus of any defense his entire career....games of 21, 23, 31, 38 yds.....can't be shut down.

AJ Green...games of 7ds, 41yds, 46yds, 51 yds....can't be defended.

I could go on.....

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Actually that's not true at all.

The play calling often just doesn't ask him to do much else. You saw first hand how fed up Romo got with that, and moved him inside pre-snap against the Saints-- because Bryant knows the playbook.

Also, he lines up all over the field. The Cowboys willingness to move him around, however, is the issue.

And, even the double coverage isn't always that effective. The problem is the route he's asked to run. I pointed it out earlier in the thread... they ask him to run 9 routes very often right into the teeth of bracket coverage, and it seems as if they do that to use him as a decoy.

If you want to knock Dez on something factual, talk about his speed and route running. He doesn't have Julio Jones speed to blow the top off of bracket coverage. And he doesn't have the route running ability of an AJ Green to lull safeties to sleep to get behind them.