Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
DEZ has ZERO leverage, after the 15th, Dez and the Cowboys can't negotiate a new contract until after the season.....so he's not sitting out a game, let alone a series, so it's nothing but empty talk from Dez...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting it right now, but am I correct in assuming a team cannot trade a player that has not yet signed his Tag?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
If Dez actually sits out, he drops way down on my list. In some ways I wouldnt care if he never wore the STAR again if he's that stupid.

If he's just blowing smoke and posturing trying to get the deal done, well, Ill still think he's an idiot but if he plays he'll be a lovable idiot.

I'm sure you felt exactly the same about Emmitt in the 90s.

Romonater

Reaction score
Those of you who are belittling Dez for threatening to sit out this season are only worried about the football side of things. Yeah, I get that he's expected to make 16 million dollars. However, HOWEVER, just because most of us will never get the money this man will. Yeah 16 million dollars is a lot, but it's not the full amount that he's obviously worth. He isn't protected. At the end of the day, it would actually favor the Joneses if he did get hurt. As opposed to making 16 million, he could be getting 40 million with more than 1 year under his belt. Think about what happened to Anthony Spencer. While he made a lot of money with the franchise tag, he probably would've made more with the guaranteed money and a longer contract. 16 million dollars is a lot, but 40 million dollars is a lot more. IF you truly care about Dez Bryant and not the Dallas Cowboys, you'll see he's thinking about himself and his family first over football, as it should be. IN a time in which the owners make the billions of dollars, an athlete should have every right to maximize his value. Because I will tell you this, if the Dallas Cowboys don't want to pay him, somebody else will. This man has done well on the field, he has matured tremendously and is the heartbeat of this team. To say that he only deserves a franchise tag after what he's given to the team for the last 4 years is a bit of an insult if you ask me. The jones and Dallas need to pay up, but pay up wisely.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Emmitt still had something to gain by holding out. Dez does not. He only stands to lose money and that's a fact.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Those of you who are belittling Dez for threatening to sit out this season are only worried about the football side of things. Yeah, I get that he's expected to make 16 million dollars. However, HOWEVER, just because most of us will never get the money this man will. Yeah 16 million dollars is a lot, but it's not the full amount that he's obviously worth. He isn't protected. At the end of the day, it would actually favor the Joneses if he did get hurt. As opposed to making 16 million, he could be getting 40 million with more than 1 year under his belt. Think about what happened to Anthony Spencer. While he made a lot of money with the franchise tag, he probably would've made more with the guaranteed money and a longer contract. 16 million dollars is a lot, but 40 million dollars is a lot more. IF you truly care about Dez Bryant and not the Dallas Cowboys, you'll see he's thinking about himself and his family first over football, as it should be. IN a time in which the owners make the billions of dollars, an athlete should have every right to maximize his value. Because I will tell you this, if the Dallas Cowboys don't want to pay him, somebody else will. This man has done well on the field, he has matured tremendously and is the heartbeat of this team. To say that he only deserves a franchise tag after what he's given to the team for the last 4 years is a bit of an insult if you ask me. The jones and Dallas need to pay up, but pay up wisely.

What good will it do him to sit out games when the team can't negotiate with him after 2 more days? I think he should be well paid but this is just a tantrum.

JBS

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting it right now, but am I correct in assuming a team cannot trade a player that has not yet signed his Tag?

I would imagine so. He's not under contract

erod

Reaction score
All conjecture on my part, but.......

I think what we have here is a wild stallion that Condon can't keep in the stable. Like many pro athletes, Dez doesn't understand how high-stakes negotiations work, and his emotions are getting the best of him. I think he's mad at Jerry, made at his agent, mad at us, mad at his situation, and mad at the mere process of it all.

In the meantime, Condon is trying to operate with his other clients in mind. He is desperately trying to avoid setting the receiver market too low, so I think he'd be fine with the franchise tag like the Cowboys. But Dez isn't cool with that, and the Cowboys are using that against Condon.

Dallas is handling this beautifully because Dez is desperate to get a deal done. The Cowboys are fine with the tag, but would like to get a discount all the same. Either way, the Cowboys win.

I think what will happen is, Dallas will come in late with a better offer, but still a discounted offer, and Dez will jump at it. Condon will advise otherwise, but Dez will insist on accepting it.

Stephen is a genius.

This sets precedent for Dallas in future negotiations with other players, too.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
If the franchise tag is such an evil thing, then why was it allowed with the CBA? Are teams not allowed to use the tools they have at their disposal? This is exactly the situation the franchise tag was designed for.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Well this is not what I wanted to here. Love Dez but how come green and jones aren't being like this??

Status
Not open for further replies.