Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What do we know for sure about the contract that was offered?
I really don't know.
Do we really know what the sticking points are? Is Dez just asking for too much money or are we being like we were with Murray?

We don't know anything for sure. I mean, we can make educated guesses and I think it's probably in the ball park but we really don't know anything 100%. For all we know, the offers could be better then we guess or they could be worse then we guess. Dallas has never been an organization, under Jerry, that has been unfair with players IMO. I don't see why they would elect to do that with a player like Dez. JMO

Romonater

Reaction score
He is doing backflips at a charity baseball event? he could have blown out a knee doing that. He has nothing to gain by not playing this year which is why no player has ever done so. Being paid the avg of the top 5 even for a year is a great deal of money the NFL and NFLPA felt this was a fair way of dealing with this situation.

Dez can do what he wants that is his choice if he holds out the season then all I can say he is has an idiot for an agent

Dallas is not going to give in to a poor deal that Det gave to Calvin Johnson, it was a stupid deal and Dallas would be just as stupid to pay out that type of cash. Top teams are not going to do it that is why they continue to be top teams. NE will cut a guy loose before they pay that and while Oakland and Jacksonville will pay that kind of money it also explains why they are loser franchise.

This isn't the New England Patriots. This is the Dallas Cowboys. People need to stop glorifying NE as a franchise because as far as i'm concerned, this false perception that they handle things the "right way" all the time is false. NE's management is a product of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. As much as I love Romo and Garrett, they aren't there. Dallas needs players like Dez more than NE would. He can be doing back flips all he wants throughout the offseason, but he's more at risk to get hurt during a 16 game season in which you have 250+ defensive players coming right after you. If he gets hurt and only makes his franchise money, he would've lost a ridiculous amount of money. It doesn't matter if the fans are getting butthurt over this. Dez is taking care of his family first. Yes, he's making a lot of money, but he wouldn't be making the right amount of money. Let's not kid ourselves.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Some might brush this off as nothing or say that the team can move on without him but this is a big blow to this team's chances if he doesn't suit up come week one and while I feel that he will end up playing every game lets not pretend that no Dez is no big deal.

I don't think anyone is brushing it off, and we all realize how important Dez is to this team. I'm sure no one is hoping that an agreement isn't reached (except Cowboys haters). But I think it's more that a lot of us aren't buying what Dez is threatening to do.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I know you'll be pissed without a long term contract

But honestly other than your pride being a little hurt why on earth would you skip training camp and the season games when you have no choice now to either play on the tag or dont play at all...

superonyx

Reaction score
And the Cowboys will probably even be more determined next year because they don't want Dez to set a precedent . If players can get away with this then others will.

Yea that sounds like the key to success. Take one of your best players and an emotional leader and force your absolute power down his throat even harder for a second year in a row.....

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So Adrian Peterson sitting out just means he has more left on the tires but Dez sitting out means he'll lose years of his career? Not buying it.

Dez is going to get a monster deal either with the Cowboys or with another team. I'd rather it be the Cowboys.

which team? by the looks of contracts for WR none are paying out CJ money because it is stupid. Bad teams will and if Dez want to play his career with little chance of competing then great. Outside of that good teams are managing their caps. Dallas has an obligation to 53 player not just 1.

Romonater

Reaction score
Sitting out essentially guarantees he will not get the maximum that he could, and less than he would in any other scenario. Sitting out hurts Dez, the Cowboys, and the fans. It's lose, lose, lose, and would be a purely vindictive act.

No it doesn't because he can just get the maximum contract he wants next year. Sure he'll loses a few millions throughout the year, but imagine what a team like Oakland would give to Dez Bryant? I'm sure he won't regret that 10 years from now and neither would you. Also people need to stop putting themselves in the equation. It has nothing to do with the fans. Dez doesn't know you. Dez doesn't know me. Dez goes home to his kids. That's who he should worry about. If Dez is as valuable as you say he is in which everyone "loses" than that shows you why the Jones should pay him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So Adrian Peterson sitting out just means he has more left on the tires but Dez sitting out means he'll lose years of his career? Not buying it.

Dez is going to get a monster deal either with the Cowboys or with another team. I'd rather it be the Cowboys.

Yes. The two situations are different. Dez's numbers next year are based on what he makes this year, if he gets tagged again. It only hurts him going forward. Peterson is under contract so he's going to make whatever he's going to make but if Peterson wanted to get traded anyway, then it doesn't hurt him because he's at the end of his career IMO. The fewer games he plays, the better value he will have if he does hit the market. JMO

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yea that sounds like the key to success. Take one of your best players and an emotional leader and force your absolute power down his throat even harder for a second year in a row.....

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Of course it's not a way to win a championship. It doesn't mean it won't happen. If Dez skips games, he's making it personal. The Cowboys could do the same.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Dallas FO has more at stake here than simply the current logjam with Dez and his agent. It's possible the team is taking the stance that their dealings with Dez has a likelihood of establishing a precedent as to how they're inclined to conduct their new contractual policies in the future. The next couple of days will serve as a pretty good indication as to whether this is the case or not. Using Dez and his agent as a prime example could surely serve as a message to the rest of the team. If they stand fast with Dez, other players would surely think the FO would handle their contractual deals with them likewise. The next two days may be huge in that regard.

superonyx

Reaction score
We don't know anything for sure. I mean, we can make educated guesses and I think it's probably in the ball park but we really don't know anything 100%. For all we know, the offers could be better then we guess or they could be worse then we guess. Dallas has never been an organization, under Jerry, that has been unfair with players IMO. I don't see why they would elect to do that with a player like Dez. JMO

I worry this is Stephen Jones and his fiscal responsibility policy that caused Murray to end up in philly. Stats show receivers decline in value as they age just like running backs....maybe not just like but still decline.
Its a little concerning.

endersdragon

Reaction score
No it doesn't because he can just get the maximum contract he wants next year. Sure he'll loses a few millions throughout the year, but imagine what a team like Oakland would give to Dez Bryant? I'm sure he won't regret that 10 years from now and neither would you. Also people need to stop putting themselves in the equation. It has nothing to do with the fans. Dez doesn't know you. Dez doesn't know me. Dez goes home to his kids. That's who he should worry about. If Dez is as valuable as you say he is in which everyone "loses" than that shows you why the Jones should pay him.

So he sits out two years and misses out on 25 million... the comes back plays 4 years for the Raiders for $3 million more than we would pay now... makes sense

Romonater

Reaction score
Of course it's not a way to win a championship. It doesn't mean it won't happen. If Dez skips games, he's making it personal. The Cowboys could do the same.

Dez isn't making it personal. Jesus, why can't people see that. He's protecting himself so that he could maximize his talents somewhere else if Dallas doesn't give him his money. Dez's priority shouldn't be about the Dallas Cowboys. He's a human being. It should be about his family.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This isn't the New England Patriots. This is the Dallas Cowboys. People need to stop glorifying NE as a franchise because as far as i'm concerned, this false perception that they handle things the "right way" all the time is false. NE's management is a product of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. As much as I love Romo and Garrett, they aren't there. Dallas needs players like Dez more than NE would. He can be doing back flips all he wants throughout the offseason, but he's more at risk to get hurt during a 16 game season in which you have 250+ defensive players coming right after you. If he gets hurt and only makes his franchise money, he would've lost a ridiculous amount of money. It doesn't matter if the fans are getting butthurt over this. Dez is taking care of his family first. Yes, he's making a lot of money, but he wouldn't be making the right amount of money. Let's not kid ourselves.

No it is not it is the Dallas Cowboys and to be a great team you have to be able to manage a salary cap, Dez is 1 player out of 53. He avgs 5 catches a game and asking for CJ type money? Well it was stupid when Det did it and would be stupid for Dallas to do it. If he holds out he gets NOTHING 0 dollars vs making 12.8 million only a fool would pass that up which is why NO PLAYERS have done that. It would take a complete moron with no sense at all to hold out and lose on that money.

Romonater

Reaction score
So he sits out two years and misses out on 25 million... the comes back plays 4 years for the Raiders for $3 million more than we would pay now... makes sense

FIrst off, if this thing goes longer than this season, Dez will be testing the open market next year. It would become too much of a problem and Dallas would have moved on. Secondly, if you think a team would only pay him 3 million dollars for one year, you're being delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.