Dez interest from multiple teams has Try out

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Next there have been players that visited teams for workouts all the time that also leave without any contract. Going for a workout IS NOT an automatic signing.

tenor.gif

mperfection

Reaction score
Would welcome Dez back at the right price...he's bigger now and as one poster said earlier, there is a role on this team for him as a hybrid TE/WR. Remember - our FB (Olawale) has opted out of the season. Dez could be his replacement.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dez is not coming back to Dallas. That ship has sailed.

If the Ravens make him an offer he'd be wise to accept it this time.
Yes, since 1995, a lot of ships have sailed and played in Super Bowls other than as a Dallas Cowboy - Demarcus Ware, Anthony Hitchens, Mo Claiborne, Chavarious Ward, Omar Stoutmire, Rodrick Monroe, Matt Moore, Chris Canty, Isaiah Stanback, Erik Walden, Mark Nzeocha, and Damien Wilson.

Dez has a chance with the Ravens and the NFL MVP at QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
WR4s don't get targeted much, but why does that matter to the conversation?

It matters because that is the position Dez would be in if Dallas considered brought him back. It isn't limited to Bryant. It matters whomever Dallas chooses as their #4 WR. They won't be targeted much, so there is no reason to expect much from the position. The old "low risk, high reward" has been tossed around, but the nature of being the #4 WR limits just how high of a reward will really occur. Again, that isn't about Dez, it is about anyone in that role.

birdwells1

Reaction score
It matters because that is the position Dez would be in if Dallas considered brought him back. It isn't limited to Bryant. It matters whomever Dallas chooses as their #4 WR. They won't be targeted much, so there is no reason to expect much from the position. The old "low risk, high reward" has been tossed around, but the nature of being the #4 WR limits just how high of a reward will really occur. Again, that isn't about Dez, it is about anyone in that role.

When one of the top 3 gets hurt then the ones below them move up a notch.

joseephuss

Reaction score
When one of the top 3 gets hurt then the ones below them move up a notch.

Yes, that sometimes happens. Teams also sometimes go out and find a replacement if one of their top guys goes out injured. Teams may be working Dez out to bring in right away or at least have some current info on him if one of their top players gets injured during the season.

It is all a balancing act. Some positions like the #4 WR spot often are asked to play special teams. Sometimes teams try to save a little bit of money by using a younger player as the #4 WR instead of a seasoned vet. Since the #4 WR typically doesn't get targeted a lot, paying a rookie or young guy a little is more cost effective than paying a veteran even at the vet minimum. Barring substantial injuries to the WR corp, I don't have high expectations of anyone who ends up as the #4 WR for the Cowboys. It is more about the role of that position rather than the player himself. I don't see much opportunity for great reward at that spot. It would be a luxury to have a good wide receiver in that role capable of stepping in if there are injuries to the other guys. If Dallas can fit in a luxury at the position I'm all for it, but it is a challenge to do so.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think what people were saying is nobody was interested at the money he wants. Dallas had to let him go when you factor in the money he was getting paid vs performance. He just wasnt worth it. At this point in his career he would be lucky to be a #2 WR. But hey there are a lot of people who will kick the tires on a worn out car.
Dez was a CANCER too. Say it with me...CANCER.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think it's a low risk, high reward proposition to find out. Heck, a team can bring him into camp and watch how he responds during practices and workouts. If he shows the slightest sign of a tantrum or pouting? Cut him, you tried, it didn't work, and you moved on. But I think the potential reward of having such a physical presence out there likely to be matched up with 3rd and 4th corners of safeties is worth that risk.
The risk isn’t in the money in that scenario. The risk is that the team will catch his “cancer” and it will spread along with the fact he can’t shut up and he is detrimental to the team in other ways.

He could be used only in short yardage and goal line situations, possibly even somewhat effectively. But he a drop ball artist and you know he would be in the huddle begging for the ball on every play and melting down on the sidelines.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes, since 1995, a lot of ships have sailed and played in Super Bowls other than as a Dallas Cowboy - Demarcus Ware, Anthony Hitchens, Mo Claiborne, Chavarious Ward, Omar Stoutmire, Rodrick Monroe, Matt Moore, Chris Canty, Isaiah Stanback, Erik Walden, Mark Nzeocha, and Damien Wilson.

Dez has a chance with the Ravens and the NFL MVP at QB.
Has he already signed with the Ravens and I missed it?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Fill every role with the best players no matter their expected snaps are. Given there is value of course.

But if you read the OP, there is an exact role he can fill. Hell Tavon filled a role and saw almost 30% of snaps.

But I'm still not understanding your point.

Verdict

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but I’m not sure what the basis is to have the opinion that Dez is some sort of “secret weapon” who will be unleashed on the league at some point in time, when the truth is that Dez hasn’t done much in at least 5 years now. AT LEAST.

Could he have some value around the goal line? Yeah, maybe, but you generally want a receiver who can do more than that because roster spots are too valuable to use on a limping one trick pony, who has failing skills and poor route running ability.

Verdict

Reaction score
Fill every role with the best players no matter their expected snaps are. Given there is value of course.

But if you read the OP, there is an exact role he can fill. Hell Tavon filled a role and saw almost 30% of snaps.

But I'm still not understanding your point.

Tavon’s job was supposed to be to use his speed to hamstring the defense and make them respect his speed. Did it work? Probably not so much.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I seem to remember that Dez was having trouble getting separation before he even got hurt. He was also dropping way too many balls. Even if Dez is in great shape the dropping of the balls is disturbing. TO had that same issue before he was finally let go.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Tavon’s job was supposed to be to use his speed to hamstring the defense and make them respect his speed. Did it work? Probably not so much.
Yes we know what Tavon's role was. Sure, it worked.

It's worth the price to find out if Dez can help in a few of our defencenciez.